Proposal: To Jets -Easton Cowan to Leafs Cole Perfetti

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
You sound like a guy who needs to run it back another 5-6 times to figure out what you’re looking at.

I’m not here to give you a full breakdown on what Marner is on the leafs.

If you have something to add/debate, I’m all for it. A lot of leaf fans are tired of watching the same juvenile shit Marner was pulling in junior - especially now that Toronto has to pay more of a premium to retain him.

I won’t hold my breath for a non passive-aggressive response as most of the Marner fanboys can’t separate their emotion from having an adult conversation.
I think my main gripe with Marner ( other than the salary ) is he rarely makes the simple play . I can’t count how many times he has a tap in only to try to fly around the net for a wrap around goal or highlight reel assist . Hes actually a good 2 way player when he keeps it simple . The drop pass on a break away ( multiple times ) is also played out imo

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Is Perfetti even projecting to be a C at this point?
Unlikely. He played a bit of center early last season and then got moved back to wing. In an interview a couple weeks back Arniel said he liked him at wing when one of the local media guys asked him the same question.

Reactions: Buffdog

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
I think my main gripe with Marner ( other than the salary ) is he rarely makes the simple play . I can’t count how many times he has a tap in only to try to fly around the net for a wrap around goal or highlight reel assist . Hes actually a good 2 way player when he keeps it simple . The drop pass on a break away ( multiple times ) is also played out imo

100% agree with you. Happened a few times as recently as this playoff. Your exact example happened in game 3(?).

With the offensive talent in Toronto, Marner (at his salary demand) is unnecessary and an unneeded luxury.

This is why I believe someone like Cowan can “keep it simple, stupid” and somewhat replace Marner’s offensive output while giving Toronto some much needed change in roster dynamic.

• Haha
Reactions: TS Quint

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Objectively Perfetti is the better player right now, no questions asked.

I'd rather have Cowan for 3x ELC years. Perfetti probably gets 4-5M in Summer 2025.

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
100% agree with you. Happened a few times as recently as this playoff. Your exact example happened in game 3(?).

With the offensive talent in Toronto, Marner (at his salary demand) is unnecessary and an unneeded luxury.

This is why I believe someone like Cowan can “keep it simple, stupid” and somewhat replace Marner’s offensive output while giving Toronto some much needed change in roster dynamic.
Yup I think at this point Matthews and Nylander can drive their own line w almost anybody ( as they should at their salaries ) and they’d be wise to invest in a top d or a goalie ( or both at his huge hit ) . Like Knies , Cowan , Domi , ( whoever) isn’t sexy but it might be able to bring a better balance as you intimated

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Honestly, it's about the equivalent.

Neither would ever happen for obvious reasons.
Wait , So you think the value /skill difference between Nylander and Niedereider is the same as that of Perfetti and Cowan? Hmm okay. I like Perfetti a lot but that’s a mouthful there

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Don’t see the fit between these teams on these players
Leafs would be insane not to do this. 2020 draft is very very good Perfetti has real offensive upside with high end skill. 75 points in his first 140 games. Much better prospect than Cowan and has progressed well since.

0 interest in this as a leaf fan.

Perfetti is sick, but the leafs already have their top centre - Toronto should not be trading a premium asset for someone who would top out as a 2c on Toronto.

Cowan is the cheap Marner replacement that allows the leafs to better allocate their cap as early as next season.

just wild.

Reactions: Huffer and Buffdog

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
No one in leaf nation is expecting Cowan to replicate the point production of Marner - that’s Marners thing through and through. He’s a point guy.

Even if Cowan tops out at a 60 point player - it will be enough to offset the loss in points Marner provides, with the the cap savings that the leafs are in need of. Cowan is excellent off the rush, can find the open space out there, and gets to the goal mouth to finish plays. Marner is not that guy, he’s more of a finess guy like Nylander and Matthews (somewhat).

We already have our top wingers in Nylander and Knies; and Domi is excellent on the top line with Matthews.

Marner is becoming redundant in Toronto.
Thats his ceiling. Have you actually watched him? He is not that offensively creative. He's a very hard worker and a smart player but if he scores 60 points in the NHL that would be him maxing out his skill set.

• Haha
Reactions: Phion Keneuf

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
I have a ton of hope for Cowan and admittedly pump leaf prospects more than they should be... but yeah, this is a very easy pass from the Jets. Perfetti is pretty studly.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Took a lot of crap on here (the day he was drafted) for saying it was a great pick for the Leafs. Was one of the only ones really, proving I think a lot of Cowan.

That said, he has so much more to still prove, before he’s in Perfetti’s class.. He’s still developing. ALL of Cowan’s success is of a physical nature still.

The pure insanity (on here) regarding Junior stats is never going to change because fans rarely watch these young players play, and even when they do, they can’t differentiate junior success from any pending pro expectations. Give them Stefan’s stats from Portland (WHL) the last couple of years, they’d tell you he was a 1st Round pick, and an NHL lock. Yet he was barely given an NHL contract going undrafted.

Then every year we have players with less stats become much better NHL players, because they can process the game at higher levels than junior kids. They can create space you need to be able to do in the NHL, etc, etc. Attributes Cowan still hasn’t shown. It’s a big summer for him.

A great comparison from a year ago. Edmonton fans and Petrov. That’s a lot of Leaf fans and Cowan right now. Othmann and NYR fans was another one. A year ago they thought he was the second coming.

It doesn’t mean they won’t be better players than more established players like Perfetti. You’d just be stupid though, to choose them over a 22 year old who’s shown he can produce against NHL players already.

The only way you make trades like this, is if a player is forcing his way out of an organization and his value is less than normal.

So as of today, you just don’t make this trade if you’re the Jets. The Leafs would, and should, all day long.

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
As a Leaf fan I say no, Cowan is looking really good and any player who looks like they can be an NHLer on an ELC is just too valuable to the Leafs.
IMO Cole is better now no question and may remain better but Cowan's ELC is worth more to me.

Reactions: Saitama

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad