Timo Meier: new most underrated player?

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
He looked quite bad defensively against the Leafs in that game and overall has the worst relative xGA on the Devils for forwards with >3 games.

Not saying he's Kane/Tarasenko by any means but doesn't seem like he's providing much defensive value either over this small sample.
Are you including his numbers with the Sharks? According to natural stat trick he's at a 59% XG%. His advanced stats look ok to solid in his 5 games with NJ. Of course there will be some adjustments.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Fiala seems like a fairly good comp - both high picks (#9 / #11 overall), only ~ 2months apart in age.

Over the past 3 seasons they have similar stats:
Fiala - 198 GP, 75 G, 118 A, 193 PTS
Meier - 193 GP, 79 G, 81A, 160 PTS

Fiala signed an 7 year, $7.875M AAV contract less than a year ago which included one RFA year.

I understand the cap should be going up and Meier might get an 8th year - though that 8th year shouldn't drive the AAV up considering he'll be 34 years old that season and on the decline.

I don't see Meier getting over $9M.

He isn’t getting less than Horvat. 8.5-9 minimum.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Why would they do that?
To not lose him for nothing?

Ultimately, I think it’s a moot point as I believe both sides will come to an agreement…but if for some reason they can’t come to an agreement or he doesn’t want to extend in NJ, it’s probably best to recoup some assets this summer.

Same for Bratt - I don’t think Fitz can risk either player of their stature just leaving for nothing at the end of next season when NJ’s contention window is just opening. Get some young assets in return and utilize the open cap space elsewhere.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
To not lose him for nothing?

Ultimately, I think it’s a moot point as I believe both sides will come to an agreement…but if for some reason they can’t come to an agreement or he doesn’t want to extend in NJ, it’s probably best to recoup some assets this summer.

Same for Bratt - I don’t think Fitz can risk either player of their stature just leaving for nothing at the end of next season when NJ’s contention window is just opening. Get some young assets in return and utilize the open cap space elsewhere.

Fitz is trying to win a cup, not having the best assets in the league.

No he does not. He's a $9m player who's supposedly looking at $9m.

Why would Meier settle for 9 mil when Pasta just got 11?

Reactions: karltonian

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Which is why he would be getting 11.25 mil against a lighter cap versus Meier taking 10+ in two years when the cap is potentially 3-5 mil more.
Meier will likely re-sign long term this year. He'd be insane to accept the QO and risk losing tens of millions if he's injured.

They aren't even on the same level, so it's an absurd comparison.

And reports have been that he's looking for $9m or thereabouts, so I'm not sure why you think he's asking for $10m+.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Meier will likely re-sign long term this year. He'd be insane to accept the QO and risk losing tens of millions if he's injured.

They aren't even on the same level, so it's an absurd comparison.

And reports have been that he's looking for $9m or thereabouts, so I'm not sure why you think he's asking for $10m+.

If the Devils don’t give him 9 long term. He gets 10 for one year or they move him.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Fitz is trying to win a cup, not having the best assets in the league.

Fitz is trying to make the Devils a contender for a long time and hopefully win multiple Cups.

I really don’t think he takes a chance of letting a guy like Meier or Bratt just walk for nothing, but we’ll see. If he does deal one of them he could still get back assets to help the team now or flip those assets for more immediate help. Not ideal, but neither is seeing them walk next summer.

Regardless, not worth worrying about now. No pressure to get either signed while the season is still going on.
Why would Meier settle for 9 mil when Pasta just got 11?
Because Pasta is a much better player?

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
If the Devils don’t give him 9 long term. He gets 10 for one year or they move him.
Again, all indications are that he's after $9m. Don't see why they won't do it. They knew his worth before trading for him.

No realistic reason why he takes $10m for ONE season. Who cares if it's the Devils or another team who signs him long term. But I'd bet he does with the Devils.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Again, all indications are that he's after $9m. Don't see why they won't do it. They knew his worth before trading for him.

No realistic reason why he takes $10m for ONE season. Who cares if it's the Devils or another team who signs him long term. But I'd bet he does with the Devils.

There is a perfectly good reason. If he refuses to sign long term he has to be qualified at 10 mil.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Then why is the deal not signed?
The other poster was right - you really are all over the place.

He’s played 5 games so far with NJ. Were you really expecting him to sign right away?

There’s no rush at the moment and it sounds like contract negotiations are going on right now with Bratt, so maybe Fitz wants to get him signed first.

Reading something into Meier not being signed to an extension yet is just nuts.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
The other poster was right - you really are all over the place.

He’s played 5 games so far with NJ. Were you really expecting him to sign right away?

There’s no rush at the moment and it sounds like contract negotiations are going on right now with Bratt, so maybe Fitz wants to get him signed first.

Reading something into Meier not being signed to an extension yet is just nuts.

Meier has all the leverage. If he doesn’t want to sign he can easily just sit and get 10 mil. This idea that he’s going to take less than that is silly.

He might. Tkachuk didn’t and Tkachuk got where he wanted to be.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Meier has all the leverage. If he doesn’t want to sign he can easily just sit and get 10 mil. This idea that he’s going to take less than that is silly.

He might. Tkachuk didn’t and Tkachuk got where he wanted to be.
Less than what exactly - $10M? The $9M figure you mentioned earlier or Hughes’ $8M AAV that you also mentioned? Again, you’re all over the place.

Yeah, if he wants to play hardball and squeeze every last cent out of his next contract he can absolutely do so. I’m also fairly sure the Devils could play hardball back and elect salary arbitration, which could reduce his salary to as low as $8.5M next season - though there’s the obvious risk that would make him surely walk after next season, but if he’s dead set on going to UFA, why not?

Or they deal him to another team where he is almost assured of having a worse chance of winning next season. Then maybe he bounces to a 4th team in less than a year and a half as a UFA next offseason. Probably not ideal to bounce around teams like that, but hey…$$$$, right? Maybe then he’ll make as much money as possible…or maybe not if things don’t go as planned.

Or maybe the two sides just come together on a fair deal that they can both live with. I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Less than what exactly - $10M? The $9M figure you mentioned earlier or Hughes’ $8M AAV that you also mentioned? Again, you’re all over the place.

Yeah, if he wants to play hardball and squeeze every last cent out of his next contract he can absolutely do so. I’m also fairly sure the Devils could play hardball back and elect salary arbitration, which could reduce his salary to as low as $8.5M next season - though there’s the obvious risk that would make him surely walk after next season, but if he’s dead set on going to UFA, why not?

Or they deal him to another team where he is almost assured of having a worse chance of winning next season. Then maybe he bounces to a 4th team in less than a year and a half as a UFA next offseason. Maybe then he’ll make as much money as possible…or maybe not if things go wrong.

Or maybe the two sides just come together on a fair deal that they can both live with. I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

How am I all over the place? Meier is basically guaranteed 10 million dollars next season or he is a UFA.

Judging on the teams that were interested in him this deadline (everyone), I don't see any problem with Meier "bouncing around".

Meier has the Devils by the balls if he wants too. This is why the deal didn't cost as much as some might thought because Meier doesn't have to do anything. He is guaranteed a one year 10 million dollar deal prior to UFA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad