Timmins future GM?

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
He wants to be a GM. (cant find the link but i heard him say it on RDS this summer)

He's most likely going back to Ottawa in the next few years ( Murray has health problems )

It could be Pierre Dorion in Ottawa..my wife's best friend is Dorion's sister and when I ask her if Dorion will be next GM she just smiles (think she's sworn to secrecy even though she tells me he tells her nothing lol)

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
i want to stab marinaro in the face with his own face....

of course timmins wants to become gm, even he said that. derp... who hates promotions and ambitions?

but to put it the way he did... a-class troll, tony. well done...

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I stopped reading at Marinara but Timmins might have the biggest guns out of all the GMs

Would he beat Rod the Bod in a posedown?

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
If I were another NHL team out there looking for a GM, this guy would be near the top of my list. No GM experience so there's some concern there but the guy obviously knows his prospects.

One option Montreal has if they want to keep him is make him Asst GM. Start grooming him now and you have a higher chance of retaining him.

Team is virtually Timmins anyway. Bergevin has only been so-so. As many bad moves as good ones. Contracts to Emelin, DD, Eller hasn't really worked out. Briere was mistake, Gorges trade was a fiasco, Syl in Hamilton is a joke. Weise was good move, Vanek good, Weaver, Tokarski also good moves. But Bergs hasn't made any moves to really jump team ahead much.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I think Timmins is worth about 3 millions a year.Maybe more.

How much does he make, anyone knows?

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
And honestly, if we were on the verge of losing Timmins because he has GM ambition, I would go cold-blooded and fire Bergevin as smoothly as possible in that context (which won't be smooth either way).

If you think Timmins is one of the best manager out there, it can take a long time to find another one of this quality.You don't sacrifice 7-8 years out of respect for Bergevin.

That is IF you think Timmins is at a higher level obviously.

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
1) I'm not so sure Timmins would automatically make a great GM. It's not because you are good at one thing that you are good at everything. You also have to factor the insane schedule the position requires. You basically have no life anymore.

2) If Timmins wants to make GM (or start as assistant GM), then my feeling is that he could already have made it. He's been in the center of plenty of rumors in the past, but he still hasn't left. Never say never, but maybe Timmins like to do what he does (best).

3) Wouldn't be surprised if he was extremely well paid, for the previous reason. Maybe the highest paid scout in the business. Remember also that he was one (if not the only?) hockey executive who was retained by MB when he came aboard.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Him and Dudley could be GM's tomorrow, we're so lucky to have them.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
God do I ever hope not. The Habs organization will be taking a huge hit when that day comes, unless he's moving into another role with us, which I don't see since MB has been great.

I firmly stand by my statement - Timmins is the single best head scout in the league.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I would drink Molson beer instead of Unibroue to keep Timmins.

Bold... very bold. :laugh:

It always pains me to have a "great" choice of Molson products at the Sens game. Seriously, I ought to just start drinking water over that crap. Always cracks me up when a guy comes into my work and orders a bunch of tall cans of bud or coors light... overpaying for such TERRIBLE beer. I'd rather drink Laker, just because at least you're not overpaying for the crap. Not a fan of Unibroue myself, though La Fin du Monde (sp?) seems pretty popular.

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
VP of Player Personnel
Director of Amateur Scouting
Director of Hockey Operations
Strength and Conditioning Coach

are some of the roles he's had. Not to mention he has 2 master degrees.

Yah, he may not be a 'lock' right now but it's hard to ignore he can be an assistant GM soon enough and move up in due time.

Just read his list of duties. To me, the details are exactly the same as when he was the Head Amateur Scout. It doesn't say anything about duties as Head of Player Personal. It doesn't list any details for that job.

Isn't that the job that the former player resigned last year to spend more time with his family? I forget his name.

dmanfish90

How about 76 for 25?
Jan 5, 2011
Newmarket, Ontario
Just read his list of duties. To me, the details are exactly the same as when he was the Head Amateur Scout. It doesn't say anything about duties as Head of Player Personal. It doesn't list any details for that job.

Isn't that the job that the former player resigned last year to spend more time with his family? I forget his name.

Mellanby?

Darkstorm

I Am Awesome
Jul 30, 2012
Montreal
If I were another NHL team out there looking for a GM, this guy would be near the top of my list. No GM experience so there's some concern there but the guy obviously knows his prospects.

One option Montreal has if they want to keep him is make him Asst GM. Start grooming him now and you have a higher chance of retaining him.

Yeah!!! that's a good idea, make him Asst. GM, groom him and retain him, sure. Remember what we did to Chicago? we took their Asst.GM (MB), I am sure teams would be looking at him and when need a GM, they will include him as a candidate. I am pretty sure that if Timmins is offered a GM position, he will not hesitate to accept the offer.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Bold... very bold. :laugh:

It always pains me to have a "great" choice of Molson products at the Sens game. Seriously, I ought to just start drinking water over that crap. Always cracks me up when a guy comes into my work and orders a bunch of tall cans of bud or coors light... overpaying for such TERRIBLE beer. I'd rather drink Laker, just because at least you're not overpaying for the crap. Not a fan of Unibroue myself, though La Fin du Monde (sp?) seems pretty popular.

Slightly off topic, but yes, La Fin du Monde is quite the beer. If I were off to a desert island and had to choose the one beer I get to bring, it would be that one.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Slightly off topic, but yes, La Fin du Monde is quite the beer. If I were off to a desert island and had to choose the one beer I get to bring, it would be that one.

Ehhh... not my thing. I'm all for strong beers, but Twice as Mad Tom (Muskoka) is my jam... La Fin du Monde just doesn't agree with me. :laugh: I'll have to try it again some time though, since I haven't since the summer

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
Mellanby?

No, I think the guy I'm thinking of was French.

Yeah!!! that's a good idea, make him Asst. GM, groom him and retain him, sure. Remember what we did to Chicago? we took their Asst.GM (MB), I am sure teams would be looking at him and when need a GM, they will include him as a candidate. I am pretty sure that if Timmins is offered a GM position, he will not hesitate to accept the offer.

I think your over rating him. When teams look to hire a new GM and they aren't going to hire an experienced GM, they almost always hire an Assistant GM. Until he gets some experience running an AHL roster and dealing with the salary cap, he won't get a sniff at a GM job.

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
I'd put him as Asst GM and allow him to sign players and draft players.

I'd keep him as Head ateur Scout as long as possible because he is so good at it. Then if he got offered an Assistant GM job, I'd offer him the same position here.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Timmins doesn't want to be Gm...he's perfectly happy with his current position. Ohhh and give him a bit of money just in case.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad