Time to be Optimistic

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Adams should probably stop saying that he doesn't expect to be competitive for a few seasons. That crap may buy him time but I doubt it inspires confidence in the players we have. I mean if Leicester City can win the freaking Premier League than this team can at least be in playoff contention going into the final few weeks of the season.
It doesn't matter what Adams says. It's the players and coach that have to believe. This sets Granato up to use the classic us against world motivation strategy. Tell a group that can't do something and they'll work like hell to prove you wrong. Ted Nolan used it to great effect.

Reactions: Dingo44

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It doesn't matter what Adams says. It's the players and coach that have to believe. This sets Granato up to use the classic us against world motivation strategy. Tell a group that can't do something and they'll work like hell to prove you wrong. Ted Nolan used it to great effect.

Gerard Gallant did that to even better effect more recently in Vegas. Granted… he had a goalie.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I have no problem supporting a bad team that's competitive
I want to think so, but if they are at the bottom of the pack a few months in I think it will start to wear on people, including the players themselves, even if they play with energy

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I want to think so, but if they are at the bottom of the pack a few months in I think it will start to wear on people, including the players themselves, even if they play with energy

I would hope it’d wear on the players. There’s only one time the players should be content during the season. And that’s when they’re skating around the rink with the Cup overhead.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
With two producing players from a trade krebs plus .. Rossi boldy plus.. Zegras plus etc.. That's another hungru young line w a veteran wing cap dump .. W Jacko and cap casualty winger to reach floor and a goalie or this new line .. We still make the playoffs.. THIS YEAR if adams does his job correctly.. I could do it.. So could many of you if u do not compromise on a clear vision

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

I highly doubt the players will be worn out two months in no matter where they are in the standings.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I highly doubt the players will be worn out two months in no matter where they are in the standings.

Ok maybe 3-4

At the end of the day they're competitive people and while they know they're young, I imagine they aren't planning on a bottom 5 season. If we're in last place after 2-4 months, I think its unlikely Sabres fans feel happy with their play since bunch of people seem to think if the team plays hard enough they could be competitive.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Ok maybe 3-4

At the end of the day they're competitive people and while they know they're young, I imagine they aren't planning on a bottom 5 season. If we're in last place after 2-4 months, I think its unlikely Sabres fans feel happy with their play since bunch of people seem to think if the team plays hard enough they could be competitive.

1) The fans ……. I don’t expect many will be watching this team from the get go. The Sabres have pissed off and alienated too much of the fan base. Only the diehards, masochists and nutcases like us on here will be dialed in from the start. Most Buffalo sports fans will be dialed into the Bills season in the first 3-4 months of the Sabres season. They will only be casually paying attention to the Sabres if at all.

By the time the Sabres get the full attention of the wider fan base it may not be until February. Possible not even until March if the Olympics are a go for NHLers. I can see this forum getting salty fairly quickly (start of training camp :laugh:) but I don’t think that will be the case with the wider fan base.

2) The players ……. Most of the players (young and old) likely to be on the roster played last year. A season that had a ridiculously condensed schedule to start with and then got even more condensed due to a 14 day Covid stoppage. They also played the same teams over and over again with a ton of Covid restrictions in place. It was a brutal grind that players around the league talked about how it kicked their ass (good teams and bad).

This is a normal NHL season even if there is an Olympic break. This season should feel much easier mentally by comparison to last year. There will be moments throughout for the players to reset mentally/physically (Holiday breaks/road trips/etc). They will also be playing every team in the league. Which gives them dozens of opportunities to come into a game with a fresh slate with an opponent they haven’t played yet.

If the players hit a wall, I think it would be late January. Thats usually when the futility of a bad season fully hits home for team. But they would then get rescued by an 24 day break for the Olympics to reset yet again.

Last edited:
Reactions: brian_griffin

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
1) The fans ……. I don’t expect many will be watching this team from the get go. The Sabres have pissed off and alienated too much of the fan base. Only the diehards, masochists and nutcases like us on here will be dialed in from the start. Most Buffalo sports fans will be dialed into the Bills season in the first 3-4 months of the Sabres season. They will only be casually paying attention to the Sabres if at all.

By the time the Sabres get the full attention of the wider fan base it may not be until February. Possible not even until March if the Olympics are a go for NHLers. I can see this forum getting salty fairly quickly (start of training camp :laugh:) but I don’t think that will be the case with the wider fan base.

2) The players ……. Most of the players (young and old) likely to be on the roster played last year. A season that had a ridiculously condensed schedule to start with and then got even more condensed due to a 14 day Covid stoppage. They also played the same teams over and over again with a ton of Covid restrictions in place. It was a brutal grind that players around the league talked about how it kicked their ass (good teams and bad).

This is a normal NHL season even if there is an Olympic break. This season should feel much easier mentally by comparison to last year. There will be moments throughout for the players to reset mentally/physically (Holiday breaks/road trips/etc). They will also be playing every team in the league. Which gives them dozens of opportunities to come into a game with a fresh slate with an opponent they haven’t played yet.

If the players hit a wall, I think it would be late January. Thats usually when the futility of a bad season fully hits home for team. But they would then get rescued by an 24 day break for the Olympics to reset yet again.
Sorry, I meant mentally not physically.

Even though its reasonable expectations will be lower this season, and maybe the vocal frustrated players like risto and eichel will be out, I worry about the psyche of guys if the team really struggles.

On the fans side, I agree that many just wont tune in but I still think its easy to say "just give me a good effort " in August. If they aren't doing well either the good effort won't be good enough, or people will question their effort regardless. I think it's pretty infrequent a low ranking team is praised for how hard they work, though it has happened.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Even though its reasonable expectations will be lower this season, and maybe the vocal frustrated players like risto and eichel will be out, I worry about the psyche of guys if the team really struggles.

On the fans side, I agree that many just wont tune in but I still think its easy to say "just give me a good effort " in August. If they aren't doing well either the good effort won't be good enough, or people will question their effort regardless. I think it's pretty infrequent a low ranking team is praised for how hard they work, though it has happened.

I think the biggest mental hurdle during a tough season is when you have a segment of the team that is checked out and not working hard.

If they don't have that issue, I am not worried about the wins and losses and the long term impacts on the team.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
I think the biggest mental hurdle during a tough season is when you have a segment of the team that is checked out and not working hard.

If they don't have that issue, I am not worried about the wins and losses and the long term impacts on the team.
Young kids and tweeners aren't going to kick back and relax as they're playing for contracts. Ottawa was a bad team last season but they were entertaining as they went all out for 60min

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

I meant mentally as well as physically with my post. I figured you were referring to both.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Young kids and tweeners aren't going to kick back and relax as they're playing for contracts. Ottawa was a bad team last season but they were entertaining as they went all out for 60min

There is really only one guy on the roster that I am worried about in the regard of not really caring.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Share with the class

The guy with 6 yrs at $9M per left on his contract who's production has fallen off a cliff is a suspect when it comes to really selling out when compared to guys who are close to UFA and the kids that are still working towards that big contract.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
The guy with 6 yrs at $9M per left on his contract who's production has fallen off a cliff is a suspect when it comes to really selling out when compared to guys who are close to UFA and the kids that are still working towards that big contract.
I think he’ll be fine. Away from Krueger alone should give him a mentality boost. He’s also played on bad teams his entire career and effort usually isn’t an issue.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

I dunno. For all the crap we give Skinner.....he doesn't often take shifts off and usually skates and works his butt off during games and during the offseason.

I think he genuinely loves playing hockey and doesn't give a rip where he does it, as long as it's close to home.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I dunno. For all the crap we give Skinner.....he doesn't often take shifts off and usually skates and works his butt off during games and during the offseason.

I think he genuinely loves playing hockey and doesn't give a rip where he does it, as long as it's close to home.

We will see. I am just saying that he is the #1 suspect if that is an issue in the locker room.

He is the guy that can roll his eyes and not pay attention to the coaches. He is the guy that can just do his own thing and not play within the system and still look like he's trying.

He is the closest thing they really have to Roger Dorn.

NSFW

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad