TikTok sponsors Washington DC Capitals Jerseys

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Herregud

Feb 7, 2010
Washington, DC
I know the general dislike is probably based on thoughts regarding a slippery slope, but the reality is that most people won't notice these unless they're looking and even if they are looking, it's going to be really hard to see mid-action anyway.

This is for the cuts to players sitting on the bench, but in those scenarios, I'm always more distracted by people blowing snot rockets and hocking loogies while I'm trying to snack anyway.

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
Everyone's talking like this is Tinder and not TikTok lol.

God NHL, don't get anymore ideas now...
I think one of the NBA teams used Tinder or Bumble as a patch :laugh:

What company, I don't really care. That there's an ad at all, I do. I collect jerseys, and I want two things as part of that: 1) that I'm not a walking billboard for anything other than the team and the jersey manufacturer, and 2) that what I'm wearing is fundamentally the same as what the players are. If they're wearing ads and I'm not, the second isn't true; if there's an ad on my jersey, the first isn't.

I don't give a damn about the helmets, or the breezers, or the skates, or any of that crap, but if you're marketing a $180-250 piece of clothing to customers on the basis that it's what the players wear, that shouldn't be a lie, and I shouldn't have to walk around advertising a GD insurance company.
Started to collect jerseys here too and yeah I'm just glad that these jerseys can't be sold in the team store because walking around with a tiktok ad is disturbing. I mean the damn thing's going to be made illegal in 4 months lol

Seedtype

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
Honestly I'm waiting to see if the NHL just uses a green square instead and impose digital ads on jerseys (oh, and they animate as well!!).

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
All of the people upset with this either don't know enough about the relationship between TikTok and the US government to see the irony, or just don't like irony. This is fantastic!

Strexvale

Mar 8, 2007
East Aurora, NY
Don't give them ideas.
Seriously... this is probably actually something that'll happen in the future just to make things look gaudy in arena as well (having to look at a green patch that doesn't match anything that is). As it stands my eyes are already starting to hurt watching broadcasts with the sheer number of ads plastered everywhere, and yes I mean that literally. It's information overload. It's so frustrating that we finally get HD hockey as the standard and almost immediately clog it up with an enema of overlay graphics on possible surface.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

knuck

On and off fan
Sponsor
Mar 26, 2006
Châteauguay
Think about it. If Ovechkin somehow breaks the record this year, the TikTok logo will forever be immortalized on the photos of him celebrating.

gross

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I get that thought but be serious, that add is so small you will only see it on close up shots. Not one single person not on the first 3 rows at the arenas will be able to see it. Its about as unobtrusive an add as you will get.

This was what was said about the helmet ads too and then we got digital ads on the boards. It's like dominios, you give these people an inch and they take a mile. It's only going to get worse and worse and worse.

Look how much the on ice advertising has changed in the past decade alone. There use to be 4 ads near center ice...

Now we got ads on the ice behind the goals, digital ads imposed on the ice inside the blue lines, digital ads imposed on the glass behind the goals and on the glass inside the blue lines, sponsor logos on helmets and jerseys and digital ads that literally move all around the boards during broadcasts.

It's horrible.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
This was what was said about the helmet ads too and then we got digital ads on the boards. It's like dominios, you give these people an inch and they take a mile. It's only going to get worse and worse and worse.

Look how much the on ice advertising has changed in the past decade alone. There use to be 4 ads near center ice...

Now we got ads on the ice behind the goals, digital ads imposed on the ice inside the blue lines, digital ads imposed on the glass behind the goals and on the glass inside the blue lines, sponsor logos on helmets and jerseys and digital ads that literally move all around the boards during broadcasts.

It's horrible.
I watch the games not the adds. Now the moving board adds were a little distracting at first but now that they have been going on for a few years I barely notice them.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
I watch the games not the adds. Now the moving board adds were a little distracting at first but now that they have been going on for a few years I barely notice them.
Yeah, I watch the AHL and they've had a little ad patch for a long time now, it doesn't change a thing except adds revenue

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010

I watch the games too, I just don't enjoy the ads being plastered everywhere, which they are no matter how much anyone says "they ain't so bad"

Yeah, I watch the AHL and they've had a little ad patch for a long time now, it doesn't change a thing except adds revenue

Ad revenue that doesn't benefit the fans whatsoever. I'd have less of an issue with all these ads everywhere if it actually meant that attending games was made more affordable for everyone and concessions weren't a complete rip off.

94 Oil Drops

SKINNER(S!)
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
So Washington DC's NHL team is sponsoring a social media platform that contains content that is mostly brain rot?

I can't even explain how hilarious I find this on so many levels.

Reactions: Trow

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
The number of people who are just okay with everything being slathered in ads deeply, deeply disappoints me.

This will only ever get worse with that kind of mindset.
I dont want them to look like NASCAR but honestly I don't even notice them. I watch the game. Not once in all the time I have watched sports have I missed some play because I was looking at an add.

Also Im 50. It just isn't that big of a deal, it really isn't. If you cant focus enough to watch the play and not a little patch on the jersey or something painted on the ice, I just not sure what to say for you. I guess Im sorry? Maybe they make a supplement you can take to help you focus?

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I get the disdain. I'm not a fan of it either and I refuse to watch any tik tok content.

But at the end of the day, money is money and they're running a business.

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2012
I just wonder why companies do this. What a waste of money, especially for something like Tik Tok

Reactions: John Price

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Honestly I'm waiting to see if the NHL just uses a green square instead and impose digital ads on jerseys (oh, and they animate as well!!).

images

... before NHL HQ sees it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad