OT: Thread About Nothing (TaN #...lost count)

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
Finally moving back to NJ after 11 years in Chicago, this July. Finding out my wife was pregnant with twins a few weeks back pushed the urgency on moving back closer to family. The timing sucks because of the interest rates right now, but we got a nice house to have the kids in in North Caldwell. Managed to beat out an all-cash offer, that was even higher than ours, because we worked directly with the seller agent and didn't bring in our own agent.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
bought a shit ton cull lumber today (all various pressure treated) for 350 bucks

regular would have cost $1450

i guess im starting my deck around my shop shed this year.
Had to look up "cull" lumber.

How bad is it?

Finally moving back to NJ after 11 years in Chicago, this July. Finding out my wife was pregnant with twins a few weeks back pushed the urgency on moving back closer to family. The timing sucks because of the interest rates right now, but we got a nice house to have the kids in in North Caldwell. Managed to beat out an all-cash offer, that was even higher than ours, because we worked directly with the seller agent and didn't bring in our own agent.
Welcome back.

Was just talking to a guy with a similar story. He didn't find a house to buy though, so he's renting.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Congratulations! It will be difficult at first but every day gets easier then the one before. I’d offer to rent my kids to you for practice but they are all different ages.

• Haha
Reactions: The Devil In I

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Had to look up "cull" lumber.

How bad is it?

Welcome back.

Was just talking to a guy with a similar story. He didn't find a house to buy though, so he's renting.

its actually really good. you cant see the middle of the bundled stack so its a bit of a gamble but from what i could see it looked solid. and was confirmed when i cut the straps after buying it.

pretty much all of it is useable for what i need to do.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
its actually really good. you cant see the middle of the bundled stack so its a bit of a gamble but from what i could see it looked solid. and was confirmed when i cut the straps after buying it.

pretty much all of it is useable for what i need to do.
What do the defects tend to be?

Really wondering how warped the wood is.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
What do the defects tend to be?

Really wondering how warped the wood is.

defect could be end cracks, curves, bows, chips... shit, there is a perfectly straight 10 foot 2x10 in the pile that has nothing wrong with it other than a chip taken out of it on the edge in the middle..

some of it is bowed but straight.... so if using it for deck framing its fine as the blocking fixes the problem. (curves and twists are the worst but this haul has only a couple of them that can be cut and used at shorter lengths)

i honestly think the person grading what gets culled is very picky so a lot of quality stuff gets to the 75% off section due to a minor thing

if you're in need of wood for something at least check it out. quality varies from store to store and person deciding though.

im extremely happy with what i got

Last edited:
Reactions: devilsblood

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut

Congratulations on the new house! I moved in October and also got slammed on the interest rates, but it was worth it to get the extra space. I’m sure with twins coming you’ll feel the same way.

My3Sons

Sponsor
It’s been remastered and it looks pretty good. It still sounds great of course. Its history. It’s less of a slog than I remembered. They didn’t like Let It Be because they struggled to get along but they created two albums and some solo material during that month.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GLR7Y1CVz8k&pp=ygUJTGV0IGl0IGJl

Reactions: njdevils1982

My3Sons

Sponsor
Reactions: njdevils1982

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
What a show from the northern lights tonight in NJ!

These photos were taken off my phone. Whole northern half of the sky was lit up and pulsing with green. Incredible to watch.
20240511_024458.jpg
20240511_024603.jpg

Last edited:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Yes. Be careful to maintain your health. At your age it isn’t easy and I should know better than most.
It's not my age, it's not having a schedule/daily routine that's a bit of a struggle.

Still kind of getting used to not having to be anywhere. It's much more of a challenge than I ever thought it would be.

Reactions: My3Sons and Guadana

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I haven't had a drink in over a month. Gonna keep it going until July.
It’s for good. As from body health side, as from mental health side. I believe sleeping regime and regular sport with diving into some hobbies are helping a lot to live better life. And family activities of course.

I waste my last month because of covid. More or less it was not good, but not so bad. I just don’t like to do nothing.

Reactions: JimEIV and My3Sons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad