GDT: Thrash @ Canes (minus Svech)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Nice to see a win against a pretty strong team after some bad news. Drury, what does Rod have against this kid? Every time he arrives it seems the Canes score. If I am not mistaken, his goal was the winner tonight.

Aside from the 21 other games he played this year in which he scored 0 goals (and, to be completely honest, I don’t even remember him playing), you are right.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I will say that if KK continues his level of play and if one more younger player (Whether it's Drury, Poolparty, Suzuki, or whoever) can step up, the unfortunate Svech situation won't be as difficult to swallow. I REALLY don't like the doomerism that much of the main message board is engaging in. This is still an excellent team.

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
Here's some footage of the refs from tonight's game driving to PNC:

giphy.gif

I know we won and that's great (Drury and KK in particular had a great game), but the refs were objectively horrible tonight. Rod even commented in the post game that the whistle should've been blown when so many players weren't playing on the ice (because of that scrum after Martinook was LAYING on the ice after a dirty looking hit) when Winnipeg scored.

Before that, there was an obvious goalie interference that should've been called against Winnipeg when they had a guy hit Andersen when he was in the crease. Later, when Noesen got in a fight with Samberg (the guy who hit Marty), the refs took SO long to blow a whistle after they were lined up and dropped their gloves to fight. They seemed clueless by their delay. Finally, the hooking against Aho that wasn't called, which was, to quote Tripp, the most obvious hooking. Tripp said unless he needs glasses, but no you don't Tripp. If anyone does, it's the refs.

But hey, the refs finally gave us not one, but two power plays in the third period. Guess they finally felt like it after butchering so much before the third; gotta seem half way competent and non-biased, etc.

The inconsistency from the refs in the NHL has gotten so old by now; the recent goalie interference over-ruling our goal against Montreal when it shouldn't have been is another example (GI is so ambiguous and whatever they feel like in the moment). Them not blowing the whistle when Martinook was injured, and so many players were in a scrum, is mind-blowing and inexcusable. That's not "professional" tier officiating; control the game when it obviously needs to be controlled.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
As an aside, 4 of our players are expecting babies. Someone posted a pic on Twitter of a group baby shower and they all look to be due at the same time. Hopefully, July.

I think I saw that as well. Any idea who? I think I remember reading that Chatfield and wife or GF are expecting soon.

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
I will say that if KK continues his level of play and if one more younger player (Whether it's Drury, Poolparty, Suzuki, or whoever) can step up, the unfortunate Svech situation won't be as difficult to swallow. I REALLY don't like the doomerism that much of the main message board is engaging in. This is still an excellent team.
It is an excellent team. That lost their best shooter and their second best shooter to injuries. It is not scandalous to say that this team is worse than the team that went into the Playoffs last year. The team that lost to NYR who didn't have Tarasenko + Kane.

Carolina's chances took a massive hit with Svechnikov's injury. That is not doomerism. That is basic logic.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
To play the Devil's advocate for the Martinook situation:

Winnipeg still had the puck, so it makes sense that they couldn't blow the play dead while that remained true. Had they done so, it opens up precedent for players to fake an injury or start a scrum to get a whistle and stop scoring chances by the opposing team.

That being said, it's easier to make that argument in a game where the officials hadn't missed blatantly obvious penalties on both teams, and when some of the penalties they did call... weren't.

Yeah, the hook on Aho was...extremely obvious to anyone with eyes, but I feel that balanced out in the third, when he drew that tripping penalty that probably shouldn't have been called.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
It is an excellent team. That lost their best shooter and their second best shooter to injuries. It is not scandalous to say that this team is worse than the team that went into the Playoffs last year. The team that lost to NYR who didn't have Tarasenko + Kane.

Carolina's chances took a massive hit with Svechnikov's injury. That is not doomerism. That is basic logic.
Counter point. Kane and Tank are not who they used to be and are below mid level scorers. Last year the Rags beat us in 7 with out of this world play by Sheshterkin against are back up goalies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad