Thoughts on the rebuild?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

Dean Brown is annoying. His ‘hockey is fun so let’s have fun’ mantra after the TDL is condescending - yes hockey is fun, I like playing it with my friends. The Ottawa Senators aren’t fun.

Brown’s last few game calls were him cracking jokes and doing his moonlighting as a very unfortunate wannabe standup comic and the game and the prospects came second to him being the annoying guy on the bus to Thunder Bay who won’t shit up: He wasn’t even taking his call seriously and maybe he shouldn’t. I just want a professional game call, if he was funny I’d take it but he’s not, and bad jokes coupled with bad hockey makes everything worse.

His explanation in his tweet is about how smart he thinks his audience is. And that’s why we get the amateur hour game calls when he’s not in the mood to just call the game and he thinks his jokes will liven things up.

Reactions: Six Assets

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
Dean Brown is annoying. His ‘hockey is fun so let’s have fun’ mantra after the TDL is condescending - yes hockey is fun, I like playing it with my friends. The Ottawa Senators aren’t fun.

Brown’s last few game calls were him cracking jokes and doing his moonlighting as a very unfortunate wannabe standup comic and the game and the prospects came second to him being the annoying guy on the bus to Thunder Bay who won’t **** up: He wasn’t even taking his call seriously and maybe he shouldn’t. I just want a professional game call, if he was funny I’d take it but he’s not, and bad jokes coupled with bad hockey makes everything worse.

His explanation in his tweet is about how smart he thinks his audience is. And that’s why we get the amateur hour game calls when he’s not in the mood to just call the game and he thinks his jokes will liven things up.
He gets off at the sound of his own voice

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
He gets off at the sound of his own voice

I find Dean Brown and Gord Wilson to be uninteresting and more fanboy than analytical in their approach. I tune them out now. I prefer the more serious hockey talk of some on Sirius XM.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I love following the prospects, so I'm certainly excited about that. I think Brannstrom will be playing with the big team sooner than later, and our D corps will probably be a position of strength for the first time in a while if all goes well.

We've got 11 picks in the first 2 rounds over the next 3 years, so there will be more quality added.

The NHL club will be tough to watch for a bit, but we've got some real nice pieces we can look to in Belleville.

Might be more interested in watching the Belleville Sens play this coming season, than to watch the Ottawa Senators ...............too bad their games are not televised unless they're playing the Marlies.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Well teams didn’t want him as much, there isn’t a lot you can do
Duchene was the first one to be moved due to teams being after him early, Hayes was the backup plan for the teams that couldn't get Duchene and didn't want to spend the assets required for Duchene, Winnipeg included. Cheveldayoff and his scouts were watching Ottawa full time for a couple of weeks eading to the Duchene trade, including Dorion and the scouts flying to Winnipeg early and watching their AHL team for a full week. They, along with Calgary, pulled out when the "price got too high"...

Winnipeg wanted Stone, and then Duchene, and then Dzingel.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Ahead of schedule. Lipsmack. We are in Plan D phase 2. Lipsmack. All of our prospects and rookies from last year will exceed absolutely everyone's expectations. Lipsmack. We signed enough goalies to not run out this year. Lipsmack Hogberg will sign and stay. Lipsmack. Everything will work out perfectly in that regard. Our first 2 picks this year we will have ranked in the top half of the 1st round. Lipsmack. No veteran UFAs are required. Lipsmack. We hired the best coaching candidate to help develop our young players. Lipsmack. We need to contend for a playoff spot this year. Lipsmack. Not concerned about our draft position next year. Lipsmack.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Duchene was the first one to be moved due to teams being after him early, Hayes was the backup plan for the teams that couldn't get Duchene and didn't want to spend the assets required for Duchene, Winnipeg included. Cheveldayoff and his scouts were watching Ottawa full time for a couple of weeks eading to the Duchene trade, including Dorion and the scouts flying to Winnipeg early and watching their AHL team for a full week. They, along with Calgary, pulled out when the "price got too high"...

Winnipeg wanted Stone, and then Duchene, and then Dzingel.

Yes meaning they didn’t want to pay anything for him, the price didn’t get too high for the jackets so off he went, no one else wanted to give up the goods.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Yes meaning they didn’t want to pay anything for him, the price didn’t get too high for the jackets so off he went, no one else wanted to give up the goods.
No, I'm sure you realize that didn't mean they didn't want to pay anything for him, but I'm not going to waste my time.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
No, I'm sure you realize that didn't mean they didn't way to pay anything for him, but I'm not going to waste my time.

they wanted to pay very little, unless you think they hung up the phone and ran away without making an offer? That is extreamly unlikely and makes no sense.
What’s wasting your time? Trying to spin what happened into something else? Probably is a waste of time yes

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
they wanted to pay very little, unless you think they hung up the phone and ran away without making an offer? That is extreamly unlikely and makes no sense.
What’s wasting your time? Trying to spin what happened into something else? Probably is a waste of time yes
Do you know what a back up plan is? It's your 2nd choice, one you fall back on. Would you be willing to trade more for your backup plan than you would your 1st choice?

Guess I am willing to waste my time.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Do you know what a back up plan is? It's your 2nd choice, one you fall back on. Would you be willing to trade more for our backup plan than you would your 1st choice?

Wasting my time is attempting to have a discussion with you, as everyone has discovered.

Do you know what it means when a team doesn’t pay assets for the player and they make a statement saying “we are not paying that for him” ?
I don’t care what they had to pay for a backup they refused to match the jackets offer. insulting someone does not make you right, if they offered more than the jackets offered he would be there. That is how it works, And that is what happened.
Trying to spin it as anything else is just silly, perhaps they had to anti up because they didn’t want to end up with nothing, but that does not change the fact they didn’t want to offer much for duche

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Do you know what it means when a team doesn’t pay assets for the player and they make a statement saying “we are not paying that for him” ?
I don’t care what they had to pay for a backup they refused to match the jackets offer. insulting someone does not make you right, if they offered more than the jackets offered he would be there. That is how it works, And that is what happened.
Trying to spin it as anything else is just silly, perhaps they had to anti up because they didn’t want to end up with nothing, but that does not change the fact they didn’t want to offer much for duche
Lemieux and their 1st is better than the Columbus offer, unless you expect Abramov and Davidsson to turn into anything.

Literally what started this was me saying sad that the Hayes return being better than Duchenes is sad.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Lemieux and their 1st is better than the Columbus offer, unless you expect Abramov and Davidsson to turn into anything.

Ok dude if you go to an auction to buy a car and you decide your going to stick to a 5000 dollar budget, the car you want gets sold for seven.... then the next car comes up, you kick yourself in the ass for being cheap on the better car and pay 7 for the next car and make sure you get the a car.
That doesn’t mean you offered more for the first car now does it?
This is how you pay more for the second choice backup plan

Reactions: MelnykOrc

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
It doesnt matter how it happened. His statement still stands in the bubble of it being sad they got more for Hayes than we did Duchene. You're the one with the apparent need to clarify and add context.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
It doesnt matter how it happened. His statement still stands in the bubble of it being sad they got more for Hayes than we did Duchene. You're the one with the apparent need to clarify and add context.

Cool, but my point stands that they did not want to pay for the guy. Thems the breaks
And yes contex and clairity was the entire point of my post. I am not sure what else these forums are for, but thanks for announcing how a conversation works.

Last edited:

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017

Literally what started this was me saying sad that the Hayes return being better than Duchenes is sad.
IMO that’s highly debatable. It Davidsson makes the nhl then it’s basically even. If Abramov makes it as well then that’s better. Lemieux doesn’t have high upside

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Ok dude if you go to an auction to buy a car and you decide your going to stick to a 5000 dollar budget, the car you want gets sold for seven.... then the next car comes up, you kick yourself in the ass for being cheap on the better car and pay 7 for the next car and make sure you get the a car.
That doesn’t mean you offered more for the first car now does it?
This is how you pay more for the second choice backup plan
The NHL doesn't work like an auction which takes place over the span of a couple of minutes of brash, on the spot decisions. There were weeks/months of back and fourths, including a 4/5 day face to face in Winnipeg.

If you think that the deal accepted for Hayes wasn't discussed by Dorion/Cheveldayoff as a package they'd be willing to give up for Duchene (we were told we wanted at least 3 pieces, I'm sure we asked for more than what Winnipeg wanted to give) sure. Not sure that's a realistic way to look at things, but sure.

If you think that Lemieux + 1st is more than they were willing to give up for Duchene as you're implying, then that seems even more unrealistic.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
The NHL doesn't work like an auction which takes place over the span of a couple of minutes of brash, on the spot decisions. There were weeks/months of back and fourths, including a 4/5 day face to face in Winnipeg.

If you think that the deal accepted for Hayes wasn't discussed by Dorion/Cheveldayoff as a package they'd be willing to give up for Duchene (we were told we wanted at least 3 pieces, I'm sure we asked for more than what Winnipeg wanted to give) sure. Not sure that's a realistic way to look at things, but sure.

If you think that Lemieux + 1st is more than they were willing to give up for Duchene as you're implying, then that seems even more unrealistic.

Yes exactly my point, offers counter offers scouting talking on and on. I gave an example of how the backup plan could cost more than What someone was willing to pay for the plan, that is all.
It’s simple and strait forward.
There is no reason to pretend I am saying that it’s a big auction that takes place in five seconds, and there is nothing at all to suggest the sens turned down a better offer other then a negative nancy attitude where made up negative things happen.
And no, what I outlined is super realistic. Ten times more realistic then we took a worse offer because because Melnyk out.
Anyway I am sure all logic out the window because it’s me and I must be wrong is super fun and all, but let’s not pretend it isn’t logical.
Anyway think what you must.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

If you think that Lemieux + 1st is more than they were willi

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Carlton Blues @ Sydney Swans
    Carlton Blues @ Sydney Swans
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $3,420.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: