Player Discussion Thoughts on Bertuzzi?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What do we do about this dude?

• Sign him he's quirky (no butt end on his stick!!)

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • Let him walk he's a useless plug and we can do better in UFA

Votes: 30 60.0%
  • I don't care, we're gonna suck anyway

Votes: 13 26.0%

• Total voters

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Leafs were probably far off on an AAV for Bert. This has been the repeated problem with a team handcuffed by the cap, sadly by some who can't win in the playoffs.

I would have paid him $5M AAV but Leafs couldn't afford it. They probably offered him $4.25 or $4.5 with less term, or, decided they could only have one of Bert or Domi and Domi came in far lower.
Perhaps, but again, tough to say what Bertuzzi's ask for Toronto was and how far it was from Chicago's offer.

I think I'm on record saying I would have been prepared to offer them the average of each of their salaries last year. So I agree with Leafs' management walking away, again IF it was Toronto walking from Bertuzzi and not the other way around.

Top line LW Tyler Bertuzzi signed at $5.5 mil by our new GM Treliving was an attempt to replace Zach Hyman that our past GM foolish mistakenly let walk thinking $5 mil was too much.

Tyler Bertuzzi scored 43 regular season points playing Hyman's LW position on the top line while Hyman racked up 54 regular season goals alone this past season.

We shouldn't be in this position, and there shouldn't be a Leaf fan alive that wouldn't prefer Zach back and locked in at $5 mil.

However now in damage control BT has to find another LW for the top line, and likely forced to pay MORE $$ for less production, which in turm makes the Leafs less Cup competive in a Salary Cap World. We're going to feel the impact of past GM incompetence for a long time still and new GM can only do so much to minimize the damage left behing that he inherited.

Big, heavy North-South hockey, with player willing to finish their checks and win puck battles and crash the net perfectly descibes Zach Hyman who would have fit hand in glove to new Coach Berube preferred style of play. Finding a suitable replacement will not be eazy.
Credit where credit's due, Mess.

You did champion Zach Hyman at $5M with a projection that saw totals well worth it.

Nobody could see McDavid's effect.

I think Hyman wouldn't have hit quite those highs, but its self-evident that Dubas galaxy-brained the hell out of that situation.

Reactions: ToneDog

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
I doubt he looks better than he did last year and last year was pretty meh. Good non-signing IMO.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I don’t know what he did here for someone to give him 5.5.

He did nothing. Chicago has the cap space, a desperate need for talent, and needs to overpay (even if only slightly) to get players to go there right now. A team looking to compete wouldn’t give him that deal.

With Foligno already there and Bertuzzi and Maroon now joining up they’ve got a decent group of players willing to get involved and stand up for Bedard and their other young guys. Doubt Bertuzzi will still be effective by the time they’re ready to contend but it doesn’t matter.

Last edited:

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I thought he'd wish to remain on a contender, although perhaps none of them were offering term?

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
I would rather have paid Bertuzzi the additional amount than Domi, who is very marginal in all respects.
Oh well
I don't know man, Domi looked pretty damn good on Matthews' wing last year. He's a good playmaker, not as good as Marner obviously, but he has to problem getting his hands dirty.

We need a guy like Domi, especially if Marner walks after next year.

Reactions: ITM

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Another one of those "I love Toronto" guys, but only if you pay me more than I'm worth

Chicago is a salary cap wild card. There’s non planning for whatever stupidity they set their minds to once they fixate on one of your guys.

They are in their Zaitsev, Marleau era.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If we lose Bert AND Robertson, that's two goal scorers, on a team that couldn't score goals in the playoffs... with no replacement known.... I won't miss Bert... but there are some questions unanswered at this point.
Playoffs is a long way away.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
If we lose Bert AND Robertson, that's two goal scorers, on a team that couldn't score goals in the playoffs... with no replacement known.... I won't miss Bert... but there are some questions unanswered at this point.
Bertuzzi wouldn't be that difficult to replace. Most ideal scenario is convincing Robertson to stay with a bigger role, move him up in the lineup, and then bring in one of our forward prospects to take his prior spot. Or maybe we can find a cheap guy later in UFA when players get squeezed.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012

They combined for 35 goals in the regular season and 6 in the playoffs (all Bertuzzi). They won't be hard to replace.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I liked him. I thought it took a while for Keefe to figure out how to use him, like it did for Domi. Not cheap though so maybe somebody younger steps up.

Reactions: Bomber0104

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
He was supposed to be a shit disturber, especially be a menace in front of the net on the PP

Drop the gloves from time to time

He rarely did any of this

Reactions: therealkoho

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I liked him. I thought it took a while for Keefe to figure out how to use him, like it did for Domi. Not cheap though so maybe somebody younger steps up.

Outside of the Core Five Keefe had no idea how to utilize players who weren't cardio merchants. He's a big reason why it took until the new year before Domi, Bertuzzi, and Reaves found their places in the lineup.

He was supposed to be a shit disturber, especially be a menace in front of the net on the PP

Drop the gloves from time to time

He rarely did any of this

Yeah that was the most disappointing thing. He and the team got better at that as the season went along and peaked in the playoffs, but I was hoping for more of it over 82 games. I expected more than one fighting major at least. As for going to the net, that only really started happening later in the year too, and since he wasn't on PP1 he didn't get the opportunity to do much there.

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
I thought he'd wish to remain on a contender, although perhaps none of them were offering term?

Players in their prime, are always looking at the most take home pay. Doesnt matter which sport either.
You have to make it when you can.
Happy for Bert , he cashed in on his reputation even tho his numbers are not that great.

Im happy we didnt pay that for him.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Players in their prime, are always looking at the most take home pay. Doesnt matter which sport either.
You have to make it when you can.
Happy for Bert , he cashed in on his reputation even tho his numbers are not that great.

Im happy we didnt pay that for him.
It wouldn't have made much sense to return everyone from the top six by re-signing both Domi and Bertuzzi either.

The neat thing about Bertuzzi signing with CHI is that he's a stint with Montreal and NYR away from suiting up for the entirety of the Original Six!

orbiter11

Sep 11, 2014
Just use the eye test. Bertuzzi was not affective at all most of the season. Id prefer Bunting over him. Treveiling has made very common sense decisions since being here. Thats all you can ask for. Good non singing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad