Thoughts on Benning?

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
I have been pretty happy with his drafting and he has been alright recently. So far this is the future.

Dahlen - Pettersson - Boeser
Goldobin - Horvat - Lind
Virtanen - Sutter - Lockwood
Gadojvich - Gaudette - Granlund

I hope the Canucks can finish high enough and pick up someone like Veleno or Tkachuk this coming draft then they can play beside Horvat.

Dahlen - Pettersson - Boeser
Tkachuk/Veleno - Horvat - Lind

DeltaSwede

Jun 15, 2011
Gbg
It's a post with a bunch of pictures. Why and how does that give you hope?

Ownership seems to finally have accepted reality and seem to be committed to a re-build.

i.e. Aquilini attending the draft for the first time as an owner
i.e. Switching his narrative to the fans when it comes to shortcomings, no talk about being competitive
i.e. Adressing the fans with "We remain committed to building the next great young team. It will take patience, but it will be worth it." - re-build.

This is the first time that ownership has used terminology that could suggest they are committed to building a new young team.

Mike Gillis was pushing hard for a re-build before he was fired.

Jim Benning most likely wanted to go for a re-build from his first day as well.

Ownership has not been open to the idea at all previously.

Imagine if the Canucks had started their re-build, properly, in 2012, how much further a long they would be with building the new core?

It was pretty clear from the post you're quoting but I thought I'd write it out for you.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Ever wonder who calls the shots in Vancouver? The braintrust is all dummies. Linden, too slow to think up a decent lie for a friendly reporter. Benning, hired to work around the failing Sedins (name any other hockey professional that would accept those terms!). Aquilini, who personally extended the used up Sedins and doomed the franchise to the basement by propping them up. All hockey morons. Yet, somehow the Sedins remain! Hmm....?

DeltaSwede

Jun 15, 2011
Gbg
Ever wonder who calls the shots in Vancouver? The braintrust is all dummies. Linden, too slow to think up a decent lie for a friendly reporter. Benning, hired to work around the failing Sedins (name any other hockey professional that would accept those terms!). Aquilini, who personally extended the used up Sedins and doomed the franchise to the basement by propping them up. All hockey morons. Yet, somehow the Sedins remain! Hmm....?

Not sure where you are going with this..

Last edited:

DustyMartellaughs

Flashing the leather.
Jun 12, 2009
Dawson Creek, BC
Daniel and Henrik have been outstanding performers and consummate professionals. It's highly unlikely they wanted to go anywhere else, and with NMC's, that's their prerogative. And if they had been traded, name a team that had the cap space to take them both.
This "it's all the Sedins fault" narrative is BS. It's not their fault the front office didn't surround them with better players and ease them into a second line role.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
Sakic has been allowed to keep his job because, supposedly, the ownership doesn't care. Is it the same in Vancouver?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Sakic has been allowed to keep his job because, supposedly, the ownership doesn't care. Is it the same in Vancouver?
Aquellini cares, but mostly about getting 2 playoff home games. Colorado is the Kroenke's leaving the management team to their own devices, them failing then doing nothing, as Avs rank far behind Arsenal, Nuggets (Huge deal to the son) and the Rams project.

GOAT AINEC

Soon..
Jun 4, 2014
I have no idea what Vancouver is doing. They could have gone through a whole rebuild by now, but instead want to stay as average as possible every year.

alicia

~
Apr 11, 2011
Vancouver, B.C
I have no idea what Vancouver is doing. They could have gone through a whole rebuild by now, but instead want to stay as average as possible every year.

With some lottery luck they could've had either Laine/Matthews, and Hischier. Hoping they land Dahlin next year.

I like the looks of Boeser, Horvat, Petterrsson, Demko, Joulevi, and the collegeites they signed.

They'll be back in contention sooner than later. Couple more years, yet.

Jinsell

May 11, 2007
What do you guys think of this guys recent GMing? Do you think hes redeemed himself, even partially? Do you still think hes a buffoon? Do you think there was a secret Illuminati conspiracy and the owners were actually running the show early on? LMK what you think!

He gets way too much criticism on this board. His inexperience as a GM has shown in some of the early trades he has made and what not, but he is learning and getting better. I think his strength is still in scouting as the Canucks' prospect cupboard has probably never been in better shape.

It's hard to tell how involved the ownership is in hockey decisions, but I think had they backed off and let him and Linden do their job then Vancouver probably would have undergone the rebuild much sooner.

Bobby Digital

Jun 15, 2006
As a Canucks fan he's the worst GM in the leauge. Terrible trader (never seen a GM target such ****t* players who fail so quickly), and terrible at handing out contracts. He's an overrated drafter who botched his first top 10 pick and the second one isn't looking great right now. Can't wait till this clown is fired. Hated him since day 1.

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
As a Canucks fan he's the worst GM in the leauge. Terrible trader (never seen a GM target such ****t* players who fail so quickly), and terrible at handing out contracts. He's an overrated drafter who botched his first top 10 pick and the second one isn't looking great right now. Can't wait till this clown is fired. Hated him since day 1.

I wouldn't say he absolutely botched his first top 10 pick. Pettersson is a highly touted prospect, and could be one of the best in the draft class.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I have no idea what Vancouver is doing.

Improving? Del Zotto and Gagner are everything that we need at just a 6 million combined cap hit, and they're both still just 27.

I want our young kids breaking into the lineup that have talent to have other talent to work with....Brandon Sutter and Jayson Megna are not going help Brock Boeser and Nikolai Goldobin score and gain confidence!

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Terrible Lawyer
Terrible CEO
Mediocre logistics mind
Brilliant in terms of drafting
Brilliant hockey mind in terms of what makes players gel

I wouldnt want a other GM. Especially after JB learns the finer details.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Terrible Lawyer
Terrible CEO
Mediocre logistics mind
Brilliant in terms of drafting
Brilliant hockey mind in terms of what makes players gel

I wouldnt want a other GM. Especially after JB learns the finer details.

Also a terrible public speaker, which I feel effects peoples opinion of him, sometimes more than the moves he makes.

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
Wow. First I've heard that one. Do you have a link or source for this?

First I've heard of this as well.
If it did happen, I bet it was something along the lines of the 1st that became Boeser, Markstrom and a prospect for Lucic.... And either Sweeney wanted the higher pick or Benning offered the deal based on Boeser not being there, and Sweeney balked because the LA deal was a sure thing.
No way did Benning offer the player himself in a deal... The timing just wouldn't have happened so to suggest that he offered Boeser is asinine

Only ways I see this going down... iF it is actually true.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
He reminds me of Jay Feaster. He had a good plan and a good drafting record but a terrible return in almost every trade.

Also, as a Flames fan, it looks like he did win the oft-memed Shinkaruk/Granlund trade

CanuckGame39

Oct 13, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
He reminds me of Jay Feaster. He had a good plan and a good drafting record but a terrible return in almost every trade.

Also, as a Flames fan, it looks like he did win the oft-memed Shinkaruk/Granlund trade

I love when people say Jim is a bad trader. Because it's absolutely ridiculous.

It's especially ridiculous when a Flames fan says it. Trader Jim has bent the flames over and used no lube twice now. Sven for a 2nd. Granlund for Shink. Just Lul.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
I love when people say Jim is a bad trader. Because it's absolutely ridiculous.

It's especially ridiculous when a Flames fan says it. Trader Jim has bent the flames over and used no lube twice now. Sven for a 2nd. Granlund for Shink. Just Lul.

Baertschi demanded a trade and a 2nd was about as much as the Flames could expect to get back for him in return, since at the time he couldn't stay in the NHL. We drafted Rasmus Andersson with the pick, who looks like an NHLer. Jury's out on this one.

I will give you the Shinkaruk for Granlund trade, since Shinkaruk was just left unprotected and passed over by the Golden Knights and does not look like an NHLer at this point. I think the Flames moved Granlund because they had too many centres at the NHL level. I think it's likely he would've been available on waivers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad