Thoughts about Jankowski?

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Didn't like the pick at all on draft day considering I didn't know who he was but now I think he was a decent pick. Of course it will take longer to know for sure but from my limited amount of viewings and readings he seems to be the player we want and need but will take time to get here (if he ever does). He has the skills to be a top line center but is also behind physically and hasn't played a lot against top notch competition. Overall, it wasn't a terrible pick but not the type of pick we should be making with our prospect pool. If I could rewind to draft day I'd probably keep 14th and drafted Teravainen or Ceci, or traded back to 21st and taken Maatta.

Trae

Calgary
I think he has been exceptional through his first season, next year I hope he makes a permanent move to center instead of wing and it would be nice if he could be around a PPG.

I didnt mind the trade either considering we got Sieloff who is the type of player Calgary is sorely lacking on the blueline right now.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I think he has been exceptional through his first season, next year I hope he makes a permanent move to center instead of wing and it would be nice if he could be around a PPG.

I didnt mind the trade either considering we got Sieloff who is the type of player Calgary is sorely lacking on the blueline right now.

Yeah, I was not high on Sieloff at the time but its becoming more apparent we need a player like him on our backend. Looking like a great pick so far.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Jankowski hasn't done too bad so far, especially when you consider he's 3-6 years younger that most of the guys on that team.

Last edited:

Flamester

Aug 9, 2011
calgary
still think that the trade feaster made is gona haunt the flames for a while. we should have picked up Teuvo Teravainen. hes gona be an all star player one day.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
I like jankowski. His potential is very high, as is his chance to bust. But ill take jank+sieloff over anyone who was available at 14th.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
still think that the trade feaster made is gona haunt the flames for a while. we should have picked up Teuvo Teravainen. hes gona be an all star player one day.

Have you ever watched either player play?

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
No it's not. Sutter never took a chance, in fact he always took the safest picks which led us to draft guys like Nemisz, Pelech, etc.

Some of us seem to forget how the draft mentality used to be a few years ago.

Revisionist history, or you're not remembering accurately. Pelech was supposed to go in the 5th-7th round. He was definitely a mind-numbing reach. Nemisz was slated to go early in the 2nd round, so he was less of a reach. When you draft a kid who lit up a league that is equivalent to midget AA, you're taking quite a risk. Heck, all of us here played hockey at that level. I hope Jankowski works out, but Teravainen was who we should have taken, or Maatta if JF insisted on trading down. Our 2nd round pick was pretty suspect too with Bystrom, Frk and Thrower still on the board. Really did like our picks after that though, even though Gordon has played like garbage this year. There was upside with all of them.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
By who ISS? TSN? They are wrong every year about prospects, why even have scouts if we are just going to pick who TSN says we should. We were going to trade the pick until our scouts saw Janko, there is clearly something there for them to risk their reputation on him maybe we should let it play out before we call it a bad pick?

I agree. With our draft record we shouldn't even have scouts. We should just pick who TSN says we should.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Didn't like the pick at all on draft day considering I didn't know who he was but now I think he was a decent pick. Of course it will take longer to know for sure but from my limited amount of viewings and readings he seems to be the player we want and need but will take time to get here (if he ever does). He has the skills to be a top line center but is also behind physically and hasn't played a lot against top notch competition. Overall, it wasn't a terrible pick but not the type of pick we should be making with our prospect pool. If I could rewind to draft day I'd probably keep 14th and drafted Teravainen or Ceci, or traded back to 21st and taken Maatta.

Exactly what I would do. Shouldn't have been a difficult choice.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Revisionist history, or you're not remembering accurately. Pelech was supposed to go in the 5th-7th round. He was definitely a mind-numbing reach. Nemisz was slated to go early in the 2nd round, so he was less of a reach. When you draft a kid who lit up a league that is equivalent to midget AA, you're taking quite a risk. Heck, all of us here played hockey at that level. I hope Jankowski works out, but Teravainen was who we should have taken, or Maatta if JF insisted on trading down. Our 2nd round pick was pretty suspect too with Bystrom, Frk and Thrower still on the board. Really did like our picks after that though, even though Gordon has played like garbage this year. There was upside with all of them.

Not true http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=7125 Nemisz was suppose to be a late first rounder and was.

As for Pelech he was huge reach, but he literally had no upside and hadn't really played a whole lot in his draft year. It was a gut call and it was terrible.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Yeah, I was not high on Sieloff at the time but its becoming more apparent we need a player like him on our backend. Looking like a great pick so far.

Sieloff has had a terrible year. He's been awful. We need a no skill, smallish, poor positionally defender now? He throws some big hits for his size, but people talk about him as if he was 6'4" and 220. He's 6'0" 195 (shorter than Brodie, but 10 pounds heavier). He has no hockey sense and is good at rocking small, immature junior players. Think he'll drop Corey Perry the same way?

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I agree. With our draft record we shouldn't even have scouts. We should just pick who TSN says we should.
Assuming we take the next highest rated player if the one they had ranked at our spot is gone we would have.
Petteri Nokelainen
Guillaume Latendresse
Yuri Alexandrov
Nick Petrecki
Nicolas Deschamps
Simon Despres
No pick
Nathan Beaulieu

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Sieloff has had a terrible year. He's been awful. We need a no skill, smallish, poor positionally defender now? He throws some big hits for his size, but people talk about him as if he was 6'4" and 220. He's 6'0" 195 (shorter than Brodie, but 10 pounds heavier). He has no hockey sense and is good at rocking small, immature junior players. Think he'll drop Corey Perry the same way?

I haven't seen alot of OHL games but given that you said Gordon has been terrible and the games I have seen of him he has been pretty good, plays physical just has had some bad puck luck I am going to take what you say with a pretty large grain of salt.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010

From everything I've heard from spits fans, they seem to love him?

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Thats a total fabrication, wow. Just wow. Stop. talking. now.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Not true http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=7125 Nemisz was suppose to be a late first rounder and was.

As for Pelech he was huge reach, but he literally had no upside and hadn't really played a whole lot in his draft year. It was a gut call and it was terrible.

That's the only ranking where I see him in the first round, there are tons of others and he averages around the 35th-40th pick mark.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I haven't seen alot of OHL games but given that you said Gordon has been terrible and the games I have seen of him he has been pretty good, plays physical just has had some bad puck luck I am going to take what you say with a pretty large grain of salt.

Where do you live? I live in Swift Current and have Broncos season tickets. I've seen him play almost every home game for the past two years. He was better last year than he's been this year. This year Adam Lowry has carried that line. Coda is not a very physical player for his size, so I'm not sure what you're talking about at all. His strength is his shot and his hands in tight.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Thats a total fabrication, wow. Just wow. Stop. talking. now.

What's a fabrication? If you're going to throw around words you should specify. Does he play well in his own end? Does he make a good outlet pass? Does he currently play against physically mature players? You honestly think the best part of his game (open ice hits) is going to translate against NHL size players?

Honestly, people who think Phaneuf took himself out of the play with bad hit selection haven't seen anything yet.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
That's the only ranking where I see him in the first round, there are tons of others and he averages around the 35th-40th pick mark.

Some did yes but those generally are the ones that have Karlsson going in the late first, in general he was seen as a late first/early second not nearly as black and white as you made it out to be.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Some did yes but those generally are the ones that have Karlsson going in the late first, in general he was seen as a late first/early second not nearly as black and white as you made it out to be.

I said he was less of a reach. He was less of a reach. Much more like a Jankowski type pick than Pelech would be. The OP was suggesting that we made "safe" picks and referenced Pelech and Nemisz. Nemisz was kind of a safe pick, but Pelech was anything but.

Btw, what I said was "Nemisz was slated to go early in the second round." That is where he was slated to go on average, so I'm not sure what your point is?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad