OT - NO POLITICS Those Lazy Hazy Crazy Days of Summer

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Elk tastes like Elk, man. I don't know what you want me to say :laugh: - It's similar to Moose in the same way Trout is similar to Salmon.

I had my first ever Oyster in Phoenix a few months back. Loved it.

Oysters in a land locked state? Whoo boy. I only eat oysters when their town of origin is within 20 miles of the restaurant. Even more preferred is "Right outside the door".

Reactions: GordonHowe

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
For those who wfh and have a dedicated office, what do you use for lighting? I have 2 windows, one is next to me and the other is directly behind me.

I use a bar light over my monitor and I have a small lamp with a natural lightbulb. I do use room darkening curtains for when I am on calls but I then have to turn on the overhead light and it looks rediculous.

I am trying to figure out a solution that will let me leave the overhead light off and not make it look like I'm glowing.
Right now, I my office is in the bedroom and I only have the ceiling fan light. It's a "soft white" I think, 2700k lamp. It is a rather yellow light, I don't care for it. Typically though, I work in the dark with the shades drawn and the ceiling fan light off. I'm a cave dweller.

The new house, my office will be in a basement corner, 12ishx12ish room I think. Two walls have typical basement bubble glass windows and let in a decent amount of light. The room has 4 recessed cans, and I think I will opt for 3000k on those, since I am a frequent headache guy, but I don't care for the look of warmer lighting.

If the biggest concern is your video calls, I would get a pack of 3500k led bulbs and slap those into your ceiling light.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Now I'm feeling scallops. I always way overeat on them though. They look so small, and feel so light and innocent going down, but are deceptively filling and sit like a brick. Most cases it's still worth the stomach ache.

Reactions: shelbysdad and BMC

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
No, but if you hum a few bars, I can fake it,

This is very relevant to me - my hubby always told people about this song and most never believed him. It was before widespread internet access was available, so it was hard to prove that it actually existed.

Troublesome 85

TOP RANKED
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
So excited for tonight havent done anything fun in a long time

Attachments

• IMG_2903.jpeg
    IMG_2903.jpeg
    388.9 KB · Views: 1

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
It's Friday so here are some questions

1) Do you have a tattoo or tattoos? If so, what is your favourite and do you have any that you regret?

2) What is your favourite season and why? Least enjoyable season?

3) Do you have a garden, if so, what do you grow - veggies, flowers, native plants? Allotments are becoming more popular, would you ever consider getting one if you don't live where you can garden?

4) Do you fish? What was your biggest catch?

5) Would you ever live in a house that was notoriously haunted?
1. Nope, and never will

2. Fall is the best, crisp cool weather, dark nights, baseball playoffs, foliage. The sights, smells, sensations, I love it. Summer is the worst by far. I hate summer, heat, humidity, bugs, ugh.

3. I love gardening. I just moved so I havent set up the new garden yet but plan to do a 4x4 raised bed and try square foot gardening with herbs, tomatoes, peppers, and lettuce to start out with. There is a wild cherry tomato bush growing on the side of the house that the previous owner left that's super productive (I think theyre sungolds but not sure). At the old house I had roma tomatoes, Black Krim tomatoes, rocoto pepper, mint, basil. I also planted an apricot tree that gave me a couple small fruits this year. New house has an apple tree that's producing buds now. I have a hydroponic kit to start seedlings in, then transfer them to soil. Looking forward to setting up the new garden.

4. I went with my grandfather a few times when I was younger. Enjoyed the time with him but can't say I liked the act of fishing. I don't eat seafood and am not big on killing things unnecessarily so it's not really for me.

5. Sure, I don't care at all. Ghost story bullshit doesn't affect how I'd live my life.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Oysters in a land locked state? Whoo boy. I only eat oysters when their town of origin is within 20 miles of the restaurant. Even more preferred is "Right outside the door".
Yeah, we ended up going to a fancy steakhouse for the last night, my NY Strip was $120 with no side, lol. I felt violated.

A buddy of mine ordered Oysters and I ripped a few back. Loved them.

I do know what you're saying. There's nothing better than fresh off the boat. Newfoundland/Nova Scotia Lobster for example.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
1. Several, my favorite is probably a Johnny Cash portrait I got when I was 19. It still looks good, too.
2. Summer because our winters are super harsh.
3. No garden, big balcony in a condo right now. I put green turf down so it feels like grass.
4. Always. Biggest is a 37.5 pound Laker and a 49 inch Northern Pike. However my other biggest catch is @NeelyDan
5. I haunt my own house
Isn't it fish and game law that you have to throw them back if they're under a certain number of inches?

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
This is very relevant to me - my hubby always told people about this song and most never believed him. It was before widespread internet access was available, so it was hard to prove that it actually existed.

It exists, though throughout later life its author wished fervently that it did not.

Reactions: caz16

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Yeah, we ended up going to a fancy steakhouse for the last night, my NY Strip was $120 with no side, lol. I felt violated.

A buddy of mine ordered Oysters and I ripped a few back. Loved them.

I do know what you're saying. There's nothing better than fresh off the boat. Newfoundland/Nova Scotia Lobster for example.

My favorite place on this earth is here (my will has my ashes being scattered there):

The oysters there come right out of Wellfleet bay. Even better, they'll serve them in a shot of vodka or tequila.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Venison is good.

If ‘you’ like real tender red meat similar to filet mignon, try ostrich. Delicious.

Wow.

Has anyone ever had quail eggs, or "Plover's eggs," as in Brideshead Revisited?

BTW, if you like raw oysters, give them a try without cocktail sauce. A spritz of fresh lemon juice will suffice.

Further, if you're out at, say, The Summer Shack, or at home, stash a bottle of Chopin or its cheaper, perfectly serviceable cousin Luksusowa in the freezer and enjoy straight with your oysters chilled and bone dry. Both are Polish potato vodkas, distinctly different than grain vodka.

Dziękuję!

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
I'm also allergic to scallops. When I was around 10 or so, my dad and I ate a whole bunch, then went out for Shamrock Shakes at McD's. A half hour later I was Linda Blair-ing the inside of the toilet bowl. I was sick in bed for 3 days. It happened again the next time I ate them and I've never touched them since. The doctor said it's the level of iodine in scallops that causes the allergy, so I stay away from iodine (like in a CT scan) too.
For me its Maine clams....ate them on the way to Bar Harbor on our honeymoon....made it just in time to sit on the john all night with my head in the sink....have tried them a few more times....I give up (and they were even fried clam strips)

Last edited:

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
For me its Maine clams....ate them on the way to Bar Harbor on our honeymoon....made it just in time to sit on the john all night with my head in the sink....have tried them a few ore times....I give up (and they were even fried clam strips)

I don't think I could live without clams. Whole belly, fried, on a buttered and grilled New England hot dog roll.

• Love
Reactions: BMC

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
My favorite place on this earth is here (my will has my ashes being scattered there):

The oysters there come right out of Wellfleet bay. Even better, they'll serve them in a shot of vodka or tequila.

As I'm packing for our week down the Cape, I just found myself wondering if it's tacky to pack my Beachcomber sweatshirt and sweatpants :laugh:

Such a great spot. Always a highlight when we get there!

I don't do seafood at all. My husband is a lobster roll and Oyster guy. As in we find places with happy hour buck a shucks and make that part of the daily routine. Last year he had 21 lobster rolls during our week. He plans to go for quality over quantity this year.

Reactions: jgatie

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
As I'm packing for our week down the Cape, I just found myself wondering if it's tacky to pack my Beachcomber sweatshirt and sweatpants :laugh:

I don't do seafood at all. My husband is a lobster roll and Oyster guy. As in we find places with happy hour buck a shucks and make that part of the daily routine. Last year he had 21 lobster rolls during our week. He plans to go for quality over quantity this year.

I wear mine there all the time!

• Love
Reactions: Kate08

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Right now, I my office is in the bedroom and I only have the ceiling fan light. It's a "soft white" I think, 2700k lamp. It is a rather yellow light, I don't care for it. Typically though, I work in the dark with the shades drawn and the ceiling fan light off. I'm a cave dweller.

The new house, my office will be in a basement corner, 12ishx12ish room I think. Two walls have typical basement bubble glass windows and let in a decent amount of light. The room has 4 recessed cans, and I think I will opt for 3000k on those, since I am a frequent headache guy, but I don't care for the look of warmer lighting.

If the biggest concern is your video calls, I would get a pack of 3500k led bulbs and slap those into your ceiling light.
Thanks!

Whomever designed the lighting scheme in this place had no clue what they were doing. No can lighting and the fixtures and placements are all wrong. They wanted this upscale look but sacrificed functionality especially in the kitchen and office. Really my only pet peeve of this place.

The lights in my ceiling fan aren't too bad, a smidge too yellow but nothing like the rest of my apartment. I get frequent headaches and eye strain (likely dry eyes) so I am trying to strike a balance. I think I just need to grab a few packs of bulbs and use good old trial and error.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena

Where are you staying?

Try the Canteen in Ptown!

We went there after a day at Race Point, highly recommended. My favorite was "fries with eyes" aka fried whole smelts.

Also, the Oyster Company in Dennis is good too, they have $1.50 oysters from their farm before 6pm. Food is ok but the oysters are good.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Where are you staying?

Try the Canteen in Ptown!

We went there after a day at Race Point, highly recommended. My favorite was "fries with eyes" aka fried whole smelts.

Also, the Oyster Company in Dennis is good too, they have $1.50 oysters from their farm before 6pm. Food is ok but the oysters are good.

We’re in Dennisport this year.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Thanks!

Whomever designed the lighting scheme in this place had no clue what they were doing. No can lighting and the fixtures and placements are all wrong. They wanted this upscale look but sacrificed functionality especially in the kitchen and office. Really my only pet peeve of this place.

The lights in my ceiling fan aren't too bad, a smidge too yellow but nothing like the rest of my apartment. I get frequent headaches and eye strain (likely dry eyes) so I am trying to strike a balance. I think I just need to grab a few packs of bulbs and use good old trial and error.
Do you have fans running? That might not be helping the dry eyes situation.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
It's Friday so here are some questions

1) Do you have a tattoo or tattoos? If so, what is your favourite and do you have any that you regret?

2) What is your favourite season and why? Least enjoyable season?

3) Do you have a garden, if so, what do you grow - veggies, flowers, native plants? Allotments are becoming more popular, would you ever consider getting one if you don't live where you can garden?

4) Do you fish? What was your biggest catch?

5) Would you ever live in a house that was notoriously haunted?
1. Never
2. Summer. Brings back good memories. Winter is the worst
3. No
4. Used to. Just large mouth bass from the local lake
5. No chance.

Reactions: caz16

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad