"See?"

-- Gary Bettman

HOCKEY

Former Predators captain Johnson was diagnosed with CTE after death​

Brain disorder is likely caused by repeated head injuries​

Greg Johnson

Greg Johnson
Photo: John Russell/Nashville Predators

Former Predators captain Greg Johnson was diagnosed with chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) after his death five years ago.

The widow and daughters of Johnson on Wednesday released the results of his post-mortem brain tissue analysis through the Concussion Legacy Foundation, saying they hoped to raise awareness for the long-term effects of concussions and repetitive head impacts in hockey.
Dr. Ann McKee, director of the Boston University CTE center, diagnosed Johnson with CTE, but was unable to definitively stage it due to the manner of death.

Johnson died at age 48 by suicide on July 7, 2019, the result of a self-inflicted gunshot.

CTE is a brain disorder likely caused by repeated head injuries, per the Mayo Clinic. It causes the death of nerve cells in the brain, known as degeneration. CTE gets worse over time. The only way to definitively diagnosis CTE is after death during an autopsy of the brain.

“This diagnosis took my breath away,” Johnson’s wife, Kristin, said in a release. “Greg’s death shattered our world, and we never once thought this disease was something he struggled with. He experienced very few symptoms that we knew of, but he spoke of his concussions often. I remember the exact moment he told me his heart condition forcing him to retire [in 2006] was a blessing because he couldn’t take another hit. He knew his hockey career had a profound impact on his brain.”

A center, Johnson played 785 NHL games over 12 years, suiting up for Detroit, Pittsburgh, Chicago and Nashville.
He was a member of the original Predators expansion team and spent seven seasons in Nashville, from 1998-99 through 2005-06. A Thunder Bay, Ontario, native, Johnson played 502 games for the Preds, totaling 238 points (93 goals, 145 assists). He still holds the franchise’s career record of 11 short-handed goals.

Johnson served as the Preds’ second captain, holding that title from 2002 through 2006.

“I had no idea what CTE even stood for when my dad took his life,” Carson Johnson, Greg Johnson’s eldest daughter, said in the release. “Now understanding that the hits he endured throughout his hockey career damaged his brain, I want all athletes to understand the risks and I want the NHL to start acknowledging it exists and do more to protect its players so other daughters don’t have to lose their fathers.”

The NHL and commissioner Gary Bettman have consistently said throughout the past few years that there is no definitive link between CTE and the game of hockey.

“We listen to the medical opinions on CTE, and I don't believe there has been any documented study that suggests that elements of our game result in CTE,” Bettman told NPR in 2023. “There have been isolated cases of players who have played the game [who] have had CTE. But it doesn't mean that it necessarily came from playing in the NHL.”

In Australia in the last 4-5 years we've had a small but steady trickle of players in our two most high-contact sports - Aussie Rules football and rugby - who have been forced to retire early because of long-term concussion injuries and the greater medical understanding we now have of them. But so far very few in the NHL has been forced out, with the most recent partial exception of Kase and even he's kept playing elsewhere. I find that remarkable and frankly suspicious. Sure they wear helmets but those things are so flimsy and I doubt they really help much.

I don't want to see guys being obliged to step away from what they love unnecessarily. But at the same time concussion issues that aren't addressed properly can have such serious long-term consequences, and if that's still not being given sufficient weight amongst the hockey medial community then that's a problem. Obviously we're not privy to the ins and outs of the care and support given to individual players. Hopefully it's all first rate. But given what we now know, and the nature of the sport, the fact that so few have yet been permanently put on the shelf seems very odd and potentially concerning.

Edit: should reinforce that it's not literally a blank slate on this front - you've got guys like Nash, Donskoi and Shaw who have had to retire prematurely on concussion grounds. Just feels like there's perhaps been less than their should.

Last edited:

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Is he allowed to do that? Isn't that contempt of court or something?
No he's not allowed to do it. The jury wasn't in the room when it happened so I'm guessing the judge is going to wait until the end of the day to rip him a new one. This whole trial is wild and we are only on day 2.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
In Australia in the last 4-5 years we've had a small but steady trickle of players in our two most high-contact sports - Aussie Rules football and rugby - who have been forced to retire early because of long-term concussion injuries and the greater medical understanding we now have of them. But so far very few in the NHL has been forced out, with the most recent partial exception of Kase and even he's kept playing elsewhere. I find that remarkable and frankly suspicious. Sure they wear helmets but those things are so flimsy and I doubt they really help much.

I don't want to see guys being obliged to step away from what they love unnecessarily. But at the same time concussion issues that aren't addressed properly can have such serious long-term consequences, and if that's still not being given sufficient weight amongst the hockey medial community then that's a problem. Obviously we're not privy to the ins and outs of the care and support given to individual players. Hopefully it's all first rate. But given what we now know, and the nature of the sport, the fact that so few have yet been permanently put on the shelf seems very odd and potentially concerning.

Edit: should reinforce that it's not literally a blank slate on this front - you've got guys like Nash, Donskoi and Shaw who have had to retire prematurely on concussion grounds. Just feels like there's perhaps been less than their should.

To be clear: The league and its owners do not care about player health when it extends to concussions and CTE.

What they care about is escaping financial liability for these conditions, assuming the PA forced the issue, which of course they have not.

As with the NFL previously, the NHL does not want to pay out liability claims filed by current or former players. Hence the denial, obfuscation and evasion.

Bettman is a pig. The owners' pig.

He's oinking all the way to the bank,

1720749445859.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Aussie Bruin

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Is he allowed to do that? Isn't that contempt of court or something?
I would say no, but Hollywood gets handled with kid gloves in contrast to the rest of us common peasants.

I would expect he'd get a wrist slap at worst.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
It's Friday so here are some questions

1) Do you have a tattoo or tattoos? If so, what is your favourite and do you have any that you regret?

2) What is your favourite season and why? Least enjoyable season?

3) Do you have a garden, if so, what do you grow - veggies, flowers, native plants? Allotments are becoming more popular, would you ever consider getting one if you don't live where you can garden?

4) Do you fish? What was your biggest catch?

5) Would you ever live in a house that was notoriously haunted?

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

1) Do you have a tattoo or tattoos? If so, what is your favourite and do you have any that you regret?

3) Do you have a garden, if so, what do you grow - veggies, flowers, native plants? Allotments are becoming more popular, would you ever consider getting one if you don't live where you can garden?

1. No. I don't like tattoos and hate needles. If people want them that is fine but I don't.

2. Fall. The air feels so good and it is beautiful. Summer is my least favorite. This hot humid weather sucks.

3. I grow fresh catnip for Luna and Pippin. I have a small flower garden.

4. No. As a child I went with Dad.

5. Yes. My Grandmother's house was an old Inn from 1700 s. It was haunted.

Last edited:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Nope, unless scars count. Got some beauties of those.

Love the Fall. Hate, hate, hate Winter. Im ok with the cold just f***ing hate the snow.

I have some flower beds.

Nope. Too boring and I dont eat fish of any kind.

Nope.

Last edited:

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY

No

Fall....absolutely despise summer.........hate hate hate hate....loathe entirely.....summer . July sucks the most....above 75 is much too hot

Landscape gardens

Love it....will be kayak fishing everyday when we move to Maine....
Bass - 22" smallmouth
Overall....lake trout

probably not

Johnny Upton

Jul 5, 2003
Boston

1) I have 2: a Scottish King’s Cross and a shamrock

2) I love summer but the humidity has gotten crazy. Least favorite is winter by far.

3) The previous owners left a flower bed behind the house but I don’t know what they planted in it. The local deer keep showing up and eating them.

4) Not the fishing type, but I do love seafood.

5) Probably not

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
Saw better than Ezra last night at a free concert up there in VT. Was pleasantly surprised by how good they were. Great stage presence but also self deprecating. If anyone is in the area or wants to go for a long weekend, the local Inn/golf resort has a free concert series with some pretty legit acts.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena

1) None

2) I like winter when there is enough snow to do stuff, and Summer when it can cool down to the low 60s at night, I dont care if its high 80s, just get my house naturally cool over night. I hate Winter when there is no snow, its depressing.

3) We had a pretty legit garden during COVID. Started Seeds with grow light, had tomatoes, carrots, lettuce, peas, onion, squash, etc. BUT as most homesteading ventures (especially animals), it works best to he HOME. Every year we seem to be on vacation during seed starting or the hottest week of the summer. We put alot of effort into the soil so we are slowly converting each bed to perennial fruits or vegetables. We an existing asparagus patch, rhubarb, blue berries, raspberries.

4) I got back into fishing this year with my son. Don't really love the taste of freshwater fish aside from smoked trout. Back when I was a kid I caught a blue fish on cape cod. Almost pulled me in.

5) If the price was right...

No

Fall....absolutely despise summer.........hate hate hate hate....loathe entirely.....summer . July sucks the most....above 75 is much too hot

Landscape gardens

Love it....will be kayak fishing everyday when we move to Maine....
Bass - 22" smallmouth
Overall....lake trout

probably not
Do you ever eat freshwater fish? If so, whats your favorite/how do you cook it? I have tried to bake or grill brown trout and both times I found the texture to be too mushy.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario

1. No, yuck
2. Spring - it’s like life’s exhale to me
3. I have grown tomatoes and weed - I enjoyed the tomatoes a lot more
4. No, but it’s one of my retirement plans especially after the girl and I move our son to northern Ontario to be closer to @Sheppy
5. Honestly? Prolly not haha

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005

1. Nothing yet
2.winter by far. I sleep better, breathe better. no mosquitoes, not as many ticks, no bugs. no landscapers or cyclists taking up half the road. My perfect day is sunny, no wind. maybe around 25 F
3.I used to have a huge garden, but it became too much work keep the critters out, etc. Id do it again if I didnt have a fulltime job.
4.Yes. I love fishing. mainly freshwater. I love fishing rivers for trout/salmon. Also kayak for bass. Biggest was rainbow trout about 6 pounds.
5.Never, I was in an apartment before that I swear was haunted. Always felt like somebody was standing next to me while I was waking up. Creepy shit.

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
On a meeting. They just announced to us they are closing 32 Stop N Shops total but only 5 in Massachusetts.

Brockton. A little one in Pembroke. Raynham. Halifax. Newton.

• Wow
Reactions: BMC and Gee Wally

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
1) None

2) I like winter when there is enough snow to do stuff, and Summer when it can cool down to the low 60s at night, I dont care if its high 80s, just get my house naturally cool over night. I hate Winter when there is no snow, its depressing.

3) We had a pretty legit garden during COVID. Started Seeds with grow light, had tomatoes, carrots, lettuce, peas, onion, squash, etc. BUT as most homesteading ventures (especially animals), it works best to he HOME. Every year we seem to be on vacation during seed starting or the hottest week of the summer. We put alot of effort into the soil so we are slowly converting each bed to perennial fruits or vegetables. We an existing asparagus patch, rhubarb, blue berries, raspberries.

4) I got back into fishing this year with my son. Don't really love the taste of freshwater fish aside from smoked trout. Back when I was a kid I caught a blue fish on cape cod. Almost pulled me in.

5) If the price was right...

Do you ever eat freshwater fish? If so, whats your favorite/how do you cook it? I have tried to bake or grill brown trout and both times I found the texture to be too mushy.
Catch and release...not a fish guy, but love shrimp, lobster, scallops

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

1. No but if the Bruins win another Cup I'm going to get a small Spoked B.

2. Early fall. The leaves change & the weather is usually mild. I have come to loathe winter the cold really bothers me now. :wally:

3. No garden. I'm a notorious plant killer. I even managed to kill a bonsai plant.

4. I used to but haven't in a long time. My biggest catch was a trout. Yummy.

5. Nope .

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

One. I got it long before they were in vogue. No regrets, but I would not get another.

Fall. I just love all of it, minus the pumpkin spice nonsense. Least enjoyable is winter.

No.

No.

Sure. That kind of stuff doesn't bother me much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad