Thornton is done as an enforcer./ Post-playoffs: Who replaces him on the 4th line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fierce1

Nov 13, 2006
Nova Scotia
I think it's a monumental mistake not to replace Thornton properly. I hope it was just a salary cap crunch and the fact that Shawn was getting on in age for that role but if we are going the passive turn the other cheek route we'll be in for a rough ride. We may not notice it right away but as the season progresses we'll see teams taking liberties more and more. Sure Looch, Chara, McQuaid and Miller are very capable but it has to be somebodies job.

There is no fighting in the playoffs but do we not forget the impact of Shawn Thornton being inserted into game three of the Stanley Cup finals against the Nucks in 2011. I'm pretty sure he didn't fight or score but he had a huge impact on the Canucks, they played just a little smaller from that point on.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
I think it's a monumental mistake not to replace Thornton properly. I hope it was just a salary cap crunch and the fact that Shawn was getting on in age for that role but if we are going the passive turn the other cheek route we'll be in for a rough ride. We may not notice it right away but as the season progresses we'll see teams taking liberties more and more. Sure Looch, Chara, McQuaid and Miller are very capable but it has to be somebodies job.

There is no fighting in the playoffs but do we not forget the impact of Shawn Thornton being inserted into game three of the Stanley Cup finals against the Nucks in 2011. I'm pretty sure he didn't fight or score but he had a huge impact on the Canucks, they played just a little smaller from that point on.

Right on. First minute he stepped on the ice he crunched Burrows in the corner, and the crowd lost it. Bobby Robins would be a solid replacement for Thornton. Fearless player who can get the crowd going and will fight just about anyone. He can play.

I want Campbell-Spooner-Robins as our fourth

If Campbell isn't traded, move Paille up to the 3rd. And if he is: Paille-Spooner-Robins

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
This is what bugs me --watch the first 12 seconds of this clip...

Lucic has been throwing the body in the Edmonton game and so Gazdic (6'3 -245pds) goes after Lucic and corners him into a fight. Gazdic landed the same bombs on Lucic (best chin in the NHL) that he did knocking out Wesgarth or TKOing Bordy or Prust.

I'm fine with Lucic fighting a Clowe or Simmonds or some big Dman who he has been battling with all game (Englland) but to make Lucic the de-facto heavyweight on our team is just asking for problems and more altercations like this for Lucic.

If Robins is in this game, there is a 0% chance that Lucic takes that fight (union rules, baby!). Again, dress Robins as the sacrificial lamb Vs. teams with a super heavyweight --dress a faster kid when we play teams like Detroit (or even Buffalo this upcoming year). Lucic can't be Lucic if he has to do Thornton job/role as well.

Last edited:

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH

Lucic has been throwing the body in the Edmonton game and so Gazdic (6'3 -245pds) goes after Lucic and corners him into a fight. Gazdic landed the same bombs on Lucic (best chin in the NHL) that he did knocking out Wesgarth or TKOing Bordy or Prust.

I'm fine with Lucic fighting a Clowe or Simmonds or some big Dman who he has been battling with all game (Englland) but to make Lucic the de-facto heavyweight on our team is just asking for problems and more altercations like this for Lucic.

If Robins is in this game, there is a 0% chance that Lucic takes that fight (union rules, baby!). Again, dress Robins as the sacrificial lamb Vs. teams with a super heavyweight --dress a faster kid when we play teams like Detroit (or even Buffalo this upcoming year). Lucic can't be Lucic if he has to do Thornton job/role as well.

Agree 100%.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

Stufff like that needs to go the way of the dodo bird. Same with when I have to see Greg Campbell holding on for dear life in a 'fight.'

Isolated heat of the moment fights like Malkin vs Bergeron are all I want to see.

But you are correct sir if other teams employ these guys we better get one of our own to not risk losing Lucic and Chara to a pile of dump just in the league to fight.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

I`m sorry, that scrap with Gadzik, while fun to watch was also questioned by Brick and Jack (the clip didn`t go long enough to hear it), Bruins up by two, Gadzik egging Looch on, absolutely no reason other than pride/ego that Looch takes that scrap.

There`s a handful of teams out there who have a player like Gadzik who`s barely a sliver more than being anything but a scrapper at this stage of his career. Pretty clear the league has been consistently moving away from the pure goon, and I`m not 100% ready to call Gadzik that but to waste a roster spot on a Robbins or whomever all for the sake of a half dozen teams having a guy who "might" urge Looch to drop the mitts is an approach that appears Chia and Cam are done taking.

Robbins has been a pro since 2005, and I`ve asked and never had it answered before, how in the world has he not been given one minute of ice time in the NHL since that time???

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
ODAAT- What has Jordan Caron given us as 13th forward? Nothing.

Robbins contribution of keeping Lucic out 1-2 fights a year with a legit heavyweight when we have noone else to drop with them ala a Gadzik or Scott surpasses anything we will get from Caron.

IMO of course.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
ODAAT- What has Jordan Caron given us as 13th forward? Nothing.

Robbins contribution of keeping Lucic out 1-2 fights a year with a legit heavyweight when we have noone else to drop with them ala a Gadzik or Scott surpasses anything we will get from Caron.

IMO of course.

Caron clearly brings little, I'll ask again in search of an answer, why hasn't Robbins lined up for one NHL face off in 9 years pro?? I dont have the answer

Looch does not need to prove jack to anyone, let alone Gazing, a 6 minute a night player.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Caron clearly brings little, I'll ask again in search of an answer, why hasn't Robbins lined up for one NHL face off in 9 years pro?? I dont have the answer

Looch does not need to prove jack to anyone, let alone Gazing, a 6 minute a night player.

By dint of hard work, Robins has clawed out an AHL roster spot after quite a bit of bouncing around in the ECHL/Europe. Due credit to him - many would have given up, but he has perservered. He is a solid AHLer, not a star, but a lunch-pail guy with a touch of talent. The AHL is probably his ceiling, but never say never - he could end up playing some games in the NHL. I'm not betting on it, though.

PS: Just to clarify, it's Robins with one "b", not two.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
By dint of hard work, Robins has clawed out an AHL roster spot after quite a bit of bouncing around in the ECHL/Europe. Due credit to him - many would have given up, but he has perservered. He is a solid AHLer, not a star, but a lunch-pail guy with a touch of talent. The AHL is probably his ceiling, but never say never - he could end up playing some games in the NHL. I'm not betting on it, though.

PS: Just to clarify, it's Robins with one "b", not two.

What?? The lack of a second B is the issue:sarcasm:

I have long respected those who do what RoBins does:laugh: but I also find it curious how he could not have been given a sniff by now?

Anyways, I guess I just see the absence of a guy like him in this lineup is nowhere near the big deal or concern others have with that

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

This has been answered by several posters for you, but you have an agenda regarding fighters and your hate for them.

Game might be changing (unfortunately) but it will never be the figure skating competition you want it to be. Robins may not get time next year, maybe he will, I still say he brings more just as a player with no fighting than Caron, but by the halfway point of the season the Bruins will have an enforcer on the roster. It should have been handled this off season and wasn't.

Also when you are challenged as a player you respond, that seems to be something else that goes over your head, or you just want a team of cowards.

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
This has been answered by several posters for you, but you have an agenda regarding fighters and your hate for them.

Game might be changing (unfortunately) but it will never be the figure skating competition you want it to be. Robins may not get time next year, maybe he will, I still say he brings more just as a player with no fighting than Caron, but by the halfway point of the season the Bruins will have an enforcer on the roster. It should have been handled this off season and wasn't.

Also when you are challenged as a player you respond, that seems to be something else that goes over your head, or you just want a team of cowards.

Tell me again which 'enforcer' suited up regularly against the toughies for Chicago? Or what about Los Angeles? Oh, right, they didn't. The Blackhawks let their guys fight their own battles, and they beat you with skill. The Kings are more of the mold of the Bruins, but as has been mentioned countless times, the Bruins have guys who drop the gloves when need be. Bad teams ice goons because they think it helps. Newsflash: those teams don't win.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Tell me again which 'enforcer' suited up regularly against the toughies for Chicago? Or what about Los Angeles? Oh, right, they didn't. The Blackhawks let their guys fight their own battles, and they beat you with skill. The Kings are more of the mold of the Bruins, but as has been mentioned countless times, the Bruins have guys who drop the gloves when need be. Bad teams ice goons because they think it helps. Newsflash: those teams don't win.

I think its more identity.... I liked being the Big Bad Bruins, dictating the punishment for a change...Team is still plenty tough, but you are losing Thornton and either Miller or McQuaid will be shipped out or #7 most nights, so you are looking at Chara, Lucic, Mac/Miller and Soupy as willing combatants (and two you don't want fighting after finger and wrist injuries) when you need some fire, or someone to stick up... Bruins will address it if needed somewhere.

East is getting ultra finesse anyways it seems.

Bruins BTW had 71 fights their SC year, so save the fighting doesn't win. You don't think they intimidated the Nucks? Kings and Hawks win because of their ELITE talent, not cuz they don't drop the gloves.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

You're right, we need another couple Loui Eriksson's on the team, that will fix everything:shakehead

L.A and Chicago are the only other teams in the NHL, they seem to be the only two you mention. I believe we wouldn't play them until the finals, we have to get out of the East first.

Before that they have to play a regular season, where, last time I checked, there was still fighting.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus

Just because someone isn't a fan of goons doesn't mean he wants a "figure skating competition." Cam Neely has a similar outlook - are you saying the same about him?

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
You're right, we need another couple Loui Eriksson's on the team, that will fix everything:shakehead

L.A and Chicago are the only other teams in the NHL, they seem to be the only two you mention. I believe we wouldn't play them until the finals, we have to get out of the East first.

Before that they have to play a regular season, where, last time I checked, there was still fighting.

I never said we should ice more Loui Erikssons. Why put the words in my mouth?

And the reason I pinpoint LA and Chicago is that those are the teams you want to emulate. Why? Because they WIN. Why bother mentioning anybody else because nobody else really matters? Your East reps the past 6 years? NYR, Boston, New Jersey, Boston, Philly, Pittsburgh. What do we have there? No consistency. Your west representatives? LA, Chicago, LA, Vancouver, Chicago, Detroit.

Who honestly scares you enough in the East that it's worth icing a goon for? And who the hell cares about the regular season? The Bruins could have ass it all year and still make the playoffs with relative ease in the East. There is a reason teams like Florida can win their division in any given year. It's because so many teams are fiddling in mediocrity. New Jersey went from making the finals to no-man's land (albeit, they lost their 2 best players, but the fact is they had to essentially go all in for one chance).

Boston has less so ran into perennial powerhouses in the East as they have teams that got hot, which is all it takes to win in the East. A flash in the pan. Have you not noticed the complete lack of consistency of teams making it? Other than Boston and Pittsburgh, its a crapshoot. Boston whether you like it or not is still the class of the East by a longshot. With Bergeron, Chara, and Rask, they are guaranteed to make the playoffs because no other team in the East has an elite player at those 3 positions, lets alone EIGHT of them.

And I'm not trying to make this seem as if my only goal is to make the playoffs. Don't take it that way. But icing a goon doesn't help our chances in the playoffs. Who cares about the regular season? If you wanna ice him for a few games, whatever. It doesn't matter in the long run? But to think icing him is going to have this significant impact or something is asinine. Fighting is staged for the most part and I'm fine throwing in Campbell or Miller in to do the dirty work. I don't need a guy who's a better fighter to do the job, because it doesn't really accomplish much in the end. You just need some guy to go in there and throw a few blows and take a few. The skill of the guy's fighting doesn't matter. Just as long as he's willing. And I think they have enough guys to do that. Hopefully they don't have to get rid of McQuaid for cap purposes, as he's a good 7th d-man that can still play and do this whole fighting thing.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004

Colt, one thing I don't agree with here is that Lucic would have avoided this fight if an enforcer had stepped in. I think Lucic occasionally fights a legit heavyweight just to send a message that he will still tangle with anyone and hasn't gone soft. I agree that they should dress an enforcer type in some games, but I don't think it will make a significant difference to Lucic's fight totals.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Just because someone isn't a fan of goons doesn't mean he wants a "figure skating competition." Cam Neely has a similar outlook - are you saying the same about him?

If Cam has changed his view on hockey that much, yes. Steve Yzerman was one of my favorite players but he makes me sick as a GM. Neely should know better, he had to fight his own battles for half a year until they brought Jamie Huscroft up from Providence, hopefully he remembers that.

I like to think Cam is supporting Chiarelli's decision for now and seeing what happens, I refuse to believe he is a convert to wimp hockey.

If they can add a third liner who can fight and score along with a fourth liner who can check and fight I'm fine not having a traditional goon, which by the way Thornton wasn't.

If Spooner or Lindblad take Thornton's spot it's a huge mistake in my opinion

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Colt, one thing I don't agree with here is that Lucic would have avoided this fight if an enforcer had stepped in. I think Lucic occasionally fights a legit heavyweight just to send a message that he will still tangle with anyone and hasn't gone soft. I agree that they should dress an enforcer type in some games, but I don't think it will make a significant difference to Lucic's fight totals.

A player like Lucic needs to snap and pound somebody every so often, it keeps guys guessing and provides more room for him and helps to compensate for his most glaring weakness, his lack of speed.

He shouldn't be tangling with Gazdic or Rechlicz

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
If Cam has changed his view on hockey that much, yes. Steve Yzerman was one of my favorite players but he makes me sick as a GM. Neely should know better, he had to fight his own battles for half a year until they brought Jamie Huscroft up from Providence, hopefully he remembers that.

I like to think Cam is supporting Chiarelli's decision for now and seeing what happens, I refuse to believe he is a convert to wimp hockey.

If they can add a third liner who can fight and score along with a fourth liner who can check and fight I'm fine not having a traditional goon, which by the way Thornton wasn't.

If Spooner or Lindblad take Thornton's spot it's a huge mistake in my opinion

yeah wonder how we would be looking back on Neely's career had they not had Miller, Byers...those types... When the Bruins told him to settle down they made sure they had guys who would pick up the slack.

Sucks it may fall on Lucic, but we will see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA