Rumor: Thomas Vanek

This is clearly listed as a rumor... but, I made a call back to MN last night to talk with some friends & family about how their 4th was. Long story short a friend of mine who I attended the University of Minnesota with asked me "How does it feel to have the Yotes trying to make a move on Vanek?" :naughty:

Clearly this was the first I've heard of the situation, but as it was pointed out to me it kind of makes sense for the following reasons...

A) We now have a legit 1st line Center for him.

B) We have the prospects to give up as supposedly that is the route Buffalo wants to go... Prospects/Picks

C) Tippett is a lot like Lindy Ruff.

D) We could use help on the RW

I'm curious to know if anyone else has heard anything on this. If he is dealt elsewhere I wonder how "In the running" the Yotes truly were. Seems like an odd rumor, agreed, but stranger things have happened.

Last edited:

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Even with owners, I don't see $6.4m being easy to swallow, especially as a one-year rental.

These 4 pieces do anything for you?
Rostislav Klesla (31 yr old D, $3m) or Derek Morris (34, $2.75m)
+ Lauri Korpikoski (24 yr, RFA winger we tendered)
+ Andy Miele (24 yrs, C, 53 and 54 AHL points the last 2 seasons)
+ 2nd rounder

Even with owners, I don't see $6.4m being easy to swallow, especially as a one-year rental.

These 4 pieces do anything for you?
Rostislav Klesla (31 yr old D, $3m) or Derek Morris (34, $2.75m)
+ Lauri Korpikoski (24 yr, RFA winger we tendered)
+ Andy Miele (24 yrs, C, 53 and 54 AHL points the last 2 seasons)
+ 2nd rounder

As for the pieces of the puzzle I don't know... Outside of we are deep on D prospects & the Sabres could use some help there.

The Yotes could also gain from some merchandise & ticket sales... The Ribeiro/Vanek combo would accomplish both of these.

Agreed the $6.4 is a tough pill to swallow, but who knows what is really going on right now with any discussions outside of front offices, agents & guys out fishing.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
This is clearly listed as a rumor... but, I made a call back to MN last night to talk with some friends & family about how their 4th was. Long story short a friend of mine who I attended the University of Minnesota with asked me "How does it feel to have the Yotes trying to make a move on Vanek?" :naughty:

Clearly this was the first I've heard of the situation, but as it was pointed out to me it kind of makes sense for the following reasons...

A) We now have a legit 1st line Center for him.

B) We have the prospects to give up as supposedly that is the route Buffalo wants to go... Prospects/Picks

C) Tippett is a lot like Lindy Ruff.

D) We could use help on the RW

I'm curious to know if anyone else has heard anything on this. If he is dealt elsewhere I wonder how "In the running" the Yotes truly were. Seems like an odd rumor, agreed, but stranger things have happened.

Heard it. Eklund has referenced it a couple times. Only worth considering if Vanek comes with a manageable extension.

Heard it. Eklund has referenced it a couple times. Only worth considering if Vanek comes with a manageable extension.

Eklund, dang not what I was hoping to hear all things considered.

Manageable extension would be SWEET! Knowing GMDM's past moves I think you're right to figure this would have to be a factor as the Yotes really aren't into "Rentals" even if it is for a full season.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I'm giddy already with Ribeiro, (submitting man card for use of this word, but truthful inner happiness) but I think I'd have to call for the de-fib if GMDM pulled off getting Vanek.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I've heard this rumor as well. The one reason I'd put some stock into it is because Vanek's salary is about ~800K less than his cap hit. Seems like a GMDM type move.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
If we could land Vanek, and if he could be signed to a nice contract and term, I'd hate to trade Boedker, but I wouldn't mind trading the following for Vanek.

Boedker, Rundblad and a draft pick

Now granted Ryan still had term on his contract, so it wouldn't be at the same level, but the cost would be close to what Ryan got. Silverberg (Boedker), Noesen (Rundblad) and 1st Rounder (here's where I think it differs or we add an additional prospect not named Domi/Samuellson/Gormley)

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I guess you could package Vermette, Boedker and Rundblad, but it just seems like a quantity for quality trade, so I'm not sure there's enough upside there for Buffalo.

zz

Nov 1, 2006
I guess you could package Vermette, Boedker and Rundblad, but it just seems like a quantity for quality trade, so I'm not sure there's enough upside there for Buffalo.

Overpayment on our end IMO. The guy's only locked up for one more year, and could very well walk for nothing as UFA a year from now.

Rundblad + Vermette + 2nd-round pick. They get a blue chip, and almost-ready solid prospect and a valuable pick. No way I give up Boedker for 1 year of Vanek.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Overpayment on our end IMO. The guy's only locked up for one more year, and could very well walk for nothing as UFA a year from now.

Rundblad + Vermette + 2nd-round pick. They get a blue chip, and almost-ready solid prospect and a valuable pick. No way I give up Boedker for 1 year of Vanek.

GMDM is not going to trade this package without a Vanek extention.

zz

Nov 1, 2006
GMDM is not going to trade this package without a Vanek extention.

Stupid question (I honestly don't know the answer): how often does this happen in the NHL? Meaning trading for a player with a pre-agreed extension.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Stupid question (I honestly don't know the answer): how often does this happen in the NHL? Meaning trading for a player with a pre-agreed extension.

I think it happens more than we think. Player traded goes to new team and signs the same day, most likely had negotiations or an agreement in principle before the deal is executed. IMO

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
Vanek"s $6.4 mil for one year?
Sabre's need to eat at least 1/3 & take on salary, or ?
Boeds if he is being hard to re-sign - don't see that happening.
Another team that is willing to take on a contract instead of the Sabres (not a dump).

Getting 2 first liners would make the 'Yotes contenders.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
I wouldn't do any deal that had us moving Boedker. He is our pick, our prospect that we groomed, and one of our better players. How many forwards can we say that about? Hanzal? We have to keep Boeds, unless he wants out.

zz

Nov 1, 2006
I think it happens more than we think. Player traded goes to new team and signs the same day, most likely had negotiations or an agreement in principle before the deal is executed. IMO

OK. I can think of a lot of deals with conditional picks depending on contract extensions, I just couldn't remember an actual player trade with baked in new contract, or sign and trade types of deals.

kingbrutis

Jul 21, 2005
I wont pretend to know alot about Vanek, but Bobby Ryan is a top 10 player in the league. He's that good. Is Vanek comparable? Just looking at numbers, he's not worth $6.4 mil.

RABBIT

OK. I can think of a lot of deals with conditional picks depending on contract extensions, I just couldn't remember an actual player trade with baked in new contract, or sign and trade types of deals.

Yeah if they go down like that, it sure isn't talked about unless it's a big name player. With that said, I believe it happens quite a bit. If Vanek did agree to come to Phoenix and sign before he was traded, we would most likely hear about it a few days before it happened.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
I don't see it. Maloney doesn't make big trades. Jokinen is the only blockbuster/bold trade that I think he has ever made. And that one didn't work out. I wold love Vanek though. Maybe if the Sabres retained 1.5 million?

RABBIT

I don't see it. Maloney doesn't make big trades. Jokinen is the only blockbuster/bold trade that I think he has ever made. And that one didn't work out. I wold love Vanek though. Maybe if the Sabres retained 1.5 million?

Ownership had a huge part in that, I imagine. We didn't have the money to spend, nor the assets to give up. Remember we were dumpster divers that made it work.

I think if there was ever a summer Maloney was going to make a huge push, it's going to be one right after we missed the playoffs for the first time in years, on a new contract, with ownership more clear than it has ever been, and after his first free agent splash since he arrived

that said, I don't see Vanek coming here. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Ownership had a huge part in that, I imagine. We didn't have the money to spend, nor the assets to give up. Remember we were dumpster divers that made it work.

I think if there was ever a summer Maloney was going to make a huge push, it's going to be one right after we missed the playoffs for the first time in years, on a new contract, with ownership more clear than it has ever been, and after his first free agent splash since he arrived

that said, I don't see Vanek coming here. Hopefully I'm wrong.
You don't have to be the team receiving the big money player in a big trade to be involved in one. Yandle could've been unloaded for a cheaper package at anytime to help the offense. Especially because money was such a big problem. Thank god he didn't though. I want Yandle in a Coyotes jersey for a long time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad