THN: Leafs in conversations with Jake McCabe about an extension.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Chychrun and McCabe are as polar opposite as D men as you could get. Chych just isn’t good defensively but will likely put up offensive numbers, while still being a -25 in Washington. The offensive numbers will see him asking for $7mil plus while being a liability in his own zone.

If you’d prefer to replace McCabe, you’d want a different type of D. Borgen is more likely the target you’d want, similar style of play, three years younger, will be a UFA after this year.
Chychrun has never been in a semi-decent environment defensively.

Always on bottom tier teams where the coaching is lacking, no proper and spund defensive structure or major injuries hampening him/his d core

I do agree he is more offensive focused, but I think he can provide above average Defense for a potential 50+ pt player from the backend.

If he were to come at 7M i would pass for sure. If we could get at 5.5 x 7 or 6 x 8 tops I would have interest. He is entering him prime now (about 5 years younger than McCabe)

I do like your Borgen idea tbh. Unfortunately we gave a lot of term to Tanev and OEL.

I would like to see Borgen be added if he makes sense for value to cap hit impact (4M-5M cap hit for him max as well) and then see if McCabe would come at 4M as well giving a very deep defense of

Rielly
Tanev
Borgen (or Chychrun at 6M or less)
McCabe
OEL
Liligren
Benoit

Webber
Niemela

I hope we do look to test the market and see if a major trade/signing for a d-man who could blossom and break out big cpuld be had for reduced value

I want to see us make an Ekholm, H.Lindholm type blockbuster which proves to be a elite D for not too much

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
WOW! A team talking to a good player whose contract is expiring, about an extension.

Will wonders never cease?

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
McCabe is a favorite forsure. There's something annoying about having a player for half price and then having to pay full price, but I hope we keep him somehow.

I don't think we have to pay him more than open market Big Z. Home team deal should be less than DeMelo too, or he'd be our Rielly/Morrissey 1RD to propel the pairing to tops of the league.

Reactions: CincoHolio

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
I like McCabe but there could be better options for us. I can see extending McCabe on a 4y deal, but I’d want to see how he plays this season first. Last year he was solid, he could be even more effective with a pick over like OEL.

There could be some other intriguing options in that make it to Ufa like ekblad, Larsson, etc.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
5.625 for McCabe would be ugly.

He’s shown that he can handle tough matchups by being a team-worst minus 7 in his two playoff runs?

Last year was the first time he’s been a top-4 defender. Was that because he suddenly improved at age 30, or was it just by default because the rest of the blueline was bad?

He’ll be 32 when this next contract kicks in. Do we want to pay top-4 money for a declining player who wasn’t even a no-doubt top-4 guy at his peak?

+/- is probably the worst stats especially for a d... A guy like McCabe who had been pratically the #1 guys since hes here to play shift after shift played against toughest mathup and every hardest defensive situation of this team.

A good number of people wanted Roy in Toronto but hes not better in anything, the difference was he was behind Doughty and level of strenght of both was not the same at all.

Mccabe at 5M would be a great deal for leafs

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
I like McCabe and at 4-5m would be happy to see him back.

But this thread has a lack of Cade Weber talk in it.

Big reason for Tre picking this kid up from CAR. He will challenge for a spot this season and will be a big (young) part of this team in the future.
Webber is too raw right to make this team out of camp, in my opinion. He seems destined for the Marlies. I really don’t see how he has any impact on resigning McCabe. We’ll be very lucky if he can ever play at Mccabe’s calibre.

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
Webber is too raw right to make this team out of camp, in my opinion. He seems destined for the Marlies. I really don’t see how he has any impact on resigning McCabe. We’ll be very lucky if he can ever play at Mccabe’s calibre.
I agree, he has 0 impact on signing McCabe.

My comment is more in response to the lack of D prospects. I see Weber being a 3rd pairing homegrown guy eventually. Safer floor than other prospects in our system like Niemela for example.

Hopefully we lock up McCabe.

8 x 3.75 would be unreal.

Reactions: Frostitute and Roo
Jul 10, 2003
KW
Love the player but he just switched over his agency representation, which usually means the player will not leave anything on the table. We can't afford to lose him. 6m x 4yrs is probably my cut off point but I hope for better.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Love the player but he just switched over his agency representation, which usually means the player will not leave anything on the table. We can't afford to lose him. 6m x 4yrs is probably my cut off point but I hope for better.
4 years is my max as well for him I feel comfortable with. I think someone will give him 6x6 in free agency. If he’s resigning with the leafs I think it will be around those terms.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
+/- is probably the worst stats especially for a d...

For a guy who’s supposed to be our shut down guy, so many minuses tells you it isn’t going well. He’s been on the ice for 20 goals against in 18 playoff games.

A guy like McCabe who had been pratically the #1 guys since hes here to play shift after shift played against toughest mathup and every hardest defensive situation of this team.

He’s been #3 and #2 in ice time… on a weak blueline. Being #2 in Toronto doesn’t mean you’re actually a real #2 league-wide.

A good number of people wanted Roy in Toronto but hes not better in anything, the difference was he was behind Doughty and level of strenght of both was not the same at all.

Roy plays a more steady and reliable game than McCabe. Even last year, which I thought was the only year of his career where he performed consistently as a top-4 guy, McCabe made horrible decisions at times. Even if he played exactly like last year for the duration of his contract, I’m not sure I would ever trust him in big moments.

Mccabe at 5M would be a great deal for leafs

If he played like he did last year, sure 5 million for a second pair defenseman is perfectly fair.

I’m just not sure he can ever replicate that season. He’s never been that good before. Even if he can replicate it, he’s 32 when the next contract starts, so it’s very likely he declines early in that contract. His skillset and style of play doesn’t often age well.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
His last caphit% was just under 5% and it locked up many prime years. He shouldn't really see.a considerable jump for his next deal which will all be in his 30s. So, at least at the moment I think he shouldn't be expected to get 6 mil or even above 5.5 mil in terms of aav

Reactions: SprDaVE

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
For a guy who’s supposed to be our shut down guy, so many minuses tells you it isn’t going well. He’s been on the ice for 20 goals against in 18 playoff games

He’s been #3 and #2 in ice time… on a weak blueline. Being #2 in Toronto doesn’t mean you’re actually a real #2 league-wide.

Roy plays a more steady and reliable game than McCabe. Even last year, which I thought was the only year of his career where he performed consistently as a top-4 guy, McCabe made horrible decisions at times. Even if he played exactly like last year for the duration of his contract, I’m not sure I would ever trust him in big moments.

1-just as exemple, Mccabe started 70% of time in defensive zone vs 54% of Roy last 2 season and played toughest matchup. In a defensive faceoff, if you losing the faceoff, you will have to defend the next 20-40 second against top opposite line, sure the chance to give a goal increasing

2- Except when Woll step in, goaltending had been a huge issue

3- The d in LAK who played Mcabe responsabilities was Doughty and he allowrd 18 goal in 11 game. Do that mean than Roy or mccabe are better than dought, absolutly not...

4- Last year, he was in a new team, new system on their 1st career playoff last season playing on top defensive shutdown pair with a Brodie who struggle pretty hard with physical game, maybe that's affecting his game too...

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
1-just as exemple, Mccabe started 70% of time in defensive zone vs 54% of Roy last 2 season and played toughest matchup. In a defensive faceoff, if you losing the faceoff, you will have to defend the next 20-40 second against top opposite line, sure the chance to give a goal increasing

Last season, McCabe started 62.1 % dzone to Roy’s 60%. The year before McCabe was 53.6 in Toronto and Roy was 54.3. That’s basically equal.

2- Except when Woll step in, goaltending had been a huge issue

This year, McCabe’s goalies had a .907 save percentage. Roy’s had .909.

Last year, Roy’s .875 save percentage was much worse than McCabe’s .937.

3- The d in LAK who played Mcabe responsabilities was Doughty and he allowrd 18 goal in 11 game. Do that mean than Roy or mccabe are better than dought, absolutly not...

Doughty played over 27 minutes per game this playoff, and over 28 last year.

I wouldn’t say McCabe’s 21 minutes are the same role.

Matt Roy is his comparable in LA. A secondary player who takes on some tough assignments.

Take the right-handed premium off of his contract, then subtract 3 years due to age… and that’s what McCabe should get. 4.5 x 3 years

4- Last year, he was in a new team, new system on their 1st career playoff last season playing on top defensive shutdown pair with a Brodie who struggle pretty hard with physical game, maybe that's affecting his game too...

So McCabe was playing for the best team he’s ever played for, and his teammates dragged him down?

Reactions: myleafs

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Last season, McCabe started 62.1 % dzone to Roy’s 60%. The year before McCabe was 53.6 in Toronto and Roy was 54.3. That’s basically equal.

you talked about playoff start so let talk about playoff stats. I just don't understand why you changed...

2023 67,7 % vs 50% = 17,7%
2024 73, 8 vs 57,7% = 16,1%

An average of 16,9% last 2 season

It's a huge difference
This year, McCabe’s goalies had a .907 save percentage. Roy’s had .909.

Last year, Roy’s .875 save percentage was much worse than McCabe’s .937.

Doughty played over 27 minutes per game this playoff, and over 28 last year.

I wouldn’t say McCabe’s 21 minutes are the same role.

Matt Roy is his comparable in LA. A secondary player who takes on some tough assignments.

Your know the exemple was just to say goal against mean nothing if you're not considerating anything else?!?!
Take the right-handed premium off of his contract, then subtract 3 years due to age… and that’s what McCabe should get. 4.5 x 3 years

The fact Roy is RHD doesn't give him over 1M in value vs LH d who can play RD

So McCabe was playing for the best team he’s ever played for, and his teammates dragged him down?

The fact hes playing in a better team overal doesn't create chemistry.

Last edited:

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Somebody in 2024 unironically attempting to use +/- to put down one of our best defensemen is hilarious.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
His last caphit% was just under 5% and it locked up many prime years. He shouldn't really see.a considerable jump for his next deal which will all be in his 30s. So, at least at the moment I think he shouldn't be expected to get 6 mil or even above 5.5 mil in terms of aav

I think the Matt Roy contract would be the max/ideal to replicate in terms of cap hit. Anywhere between 5 to 6M for 4-5 years is probably very fair and would really solidify this defensive core for a few years.

sena

Jul 3, 2024
Chychrun has never been in a semi-decent environment defensively.

Always on bottom tier teams where the coaching is lacking, no proper and spund defensive structure or major injuries hampening him/his d core

I do agree he is more offensive focused, but I think he can provide above average Defense for a potential 50+ pt player from the backend.

If he were to come at 7M i would pass for sure. If we could get at 5.5 x 7 or 6 x 8 tops I would have interest. He is entering him prime now (about 5 years younger than McCabe)

I do like your Borgen idea tbh. Unfortunately we gave a lot of term to Tanev and OEL.

I would like to see Borgen be added if he makes sense for value to cap hit impact (4M-5M cap hit for him max as well) and then see if McCabe would come at 4M as well giving a very deep defense of

Rielly
Tanev
Borgen (or Chychrun at 6M or less)
McCabe
OEL
Liligren
Benoit

Webber
Niemela

I hope we do look to test the market and see if a major trade/signing for a d-man who could blossom and break out big cpuld be had for reduced value

I want to see us make an Ekholm, H.Lindholm type blockbuster which proves to be a elite D for not too much
Chychrun was absolute trash on the sens, He has a good shot but he is a major reason why his team is always poor defending.
I am still shocked at how bad he was last year.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Jake also did what he did last year playing with Simon Benoit. Not a knock on Simon, good guy for us. However, when comparing with Matt Roy, I think it is fair to say that Gavrikov is a much more competent and established partner. Partners matter quite a bit.

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
I think that 4 years by 5 would be a fair deal. Have to be careful though, I love the player but we have a lot of old defencemen already locked up for term.

Do think he is sneaky offensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad