THN: Leafs in conversations with Jake McCabe about an extension.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
McCabe is the type of player you enjoy to trade for at a retained deal. He provides 1-2M surplus value at 2M caphit in his latw 20s and early 30s

On a 5-6 year deal at 5-6M (expected he gets that as we saw what Zadorov, tanev, and OEL got with only Tanev better than him but way older) he is a guy who will be on the fans radar. He wont live well to that type of deal

Hoping we can acquire a Ekholm/Muzzin/Lindholm type player att the deadline and then move on from McCabe if its more than 4M at 3-4 years term

Chychuran would be a solid add if he came for not to much and I would leverage him (trade and extend) to let McCabe know we have 3.5-4M we can fit him in at if he wants to stay, otherwise thanks for the 2 seasons and best of luck

Frostitute

Feb 9, 2022
Northern Ontario
Love McCabe. Gritty, hardworking, defensively sound, LEADER. You can tell the boys admire and look up to him. He is offensively challenged, but with what he brings I am okay with that.

I'd like 4yrs @ 4.5 - 4.75 per.

Realistically that just wont happen, especially with the cap now leaping forward again this year and presumably next.

He'll get around 5/6yrs @ 5.5 - 6 per I'm guessing.

I won't love it, but he'll still be a likable player and essential to our success.

Face Of Bear

Jul 30, 2012
he was good for us last year but he'll be 32 by the start of next season. With Rielly/Tanev/OEL already locked up with term re-signing McCabe locks us into an old/slowing and depreciating D core. Also eats into the little room we'll have to re-sign guys like Marner, Tavares, Knies, (Robertson?)

Ideally Liljegren takes the next step and makes letting McCabe walk more tolerable.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
I like him a lot and would take him back, I'm a bit hesitant on term though. Would like it at 3-4 years

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
That's weird. I figured more people would be upset about running it back.

Plays tough minutes, Benoit didn't help his last year, so he didn't look fantastic but he is still a good player.

Will be 31 when the season starts this year and not sure how well he will age given the way he plays, although he does pick his spots and doesn't just hit everything.

Would like him back because I think he is a good player though. I just hope it is a reasonable amount, and I can also see the contract aging badly if we give him too much term, so hope that is reasonable as well.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Wouldn't give him anything more than he's making now, thus I would walk away from him in all likelihood.

Decent player, but he'll become a whipping boy if he's making over 5m per on his next deal.

Reactions: Tie Domi Esquire

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
I like McCabe and at 4-5m would be happy to see him back.

But this thread has a lack of Cade Weber talk in it.

Big reason for Tre picking this kid up from CAR. He will challenge for a spot this season and will be a big (young) part of this team in the future.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Almost all of this is wrong lol.

but nothing in your post disputed any of it…

McCabe was genuinely good, to the point where he elevated a nobody in Simon Benoit as well.

last year was McCabe’s best year, and the only year of his career that he played consistently like a legit #4.

They received the hardest matchups against Boston and were even at 5v5 GA/GF, plus gave up the fewest shots and scoring chances against when they were on the ice. McCabe was also primarily matched against Pastrnak (and when he wasn't, he was matched against Marchand), and kept them both largely off the scoresheet. In particular he was a rock from games 5-7, not his fault this overrated offense can't score.

That is true, but ignores the previous playoff year, where he was -7… which is what I said…. In his two seasons, he’s a team-worst minus.

Reactions: rumman

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I like McCabe and at 4-5m would be happy to see him back.

But this thread has a lack of Cade Weber talk in it.

Big reason for Tre picking this kid up from CAR. He will challenge for a spot this season and will be a big (young) part of this team in the future.

His upside is likely a #6, they wouldn't fill the same role.

He is also 23 (Robertson is younger), it isn't like he is young and has a bunch of untapped potential.

That's likely why no one is talking about him.

He is maybe a Benoit replacement but is likely just an AHL player or gets a cup of coffee.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
His upside is likely a #6, they wouldn't fill the same role.

He is also 23 (Robertson is younger), it isn't like he is young and has a bunch of untapped potential.

That's likely why no one is talking about him.

He is maybe a Benoit replacement but is likely just an AHL player or gets a cup of coffee.
McCabe will be 31 in October

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
McCabe will be 31 in October

Generally, when you reply to someone and they have quoted another person, it is wise to see what the other person wrote to gain some context.

He was talking about Cade Weber.

I actually have another post in this thread specifically mentioning McCabe will be 31.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Generally, when you reply to someone and they have quoted another person, it is wise to see what the other person wrote to gain some context.

He was talking about Cade Weber.

I actually have another post in this thread specifically mentioning McCabe will be 31.
My bad. I forgot you struggle with staying on topic.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
My bad. I forgot you struggle with staying on topic.

I was replying to someone who was implying that Weber could replace McCabe, are you illiterate?

I had a full post on McCabe in this thread too.

Your contributions so far have been telling me that I am not on topic and letting everyone know that you don't have a favourite player, but if you did, it would be him.

Thank you for your brilliant words.

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
I was replying to someone who was implying that Weber could replace McCabe, are you illiterate?

I didn’t imply anything. There was a handful of posters on page 1 discussing our lack of prospect development on D. Weber will be a big part of homegrowing depth, something previous regimes struggled with on D.

Even if he tops out as a number 6 - there’s nothing wrong with that. Beats the hell out of crossing fingers on depth D men and trading assets to bolster that part of the lineup.

You’re really negative for no reason.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
McCabe currently makes $4 million with retention from Chicago so the incremental raise will be probably something like $3.5 million more at a minimum. Good player for sure.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I didn’t imply anything. There was a handful of posters on page 1 discussing our lack of prospect development on D. Weber will be a big part of homegrowing depth, something previous regimes struggled with on D.

Well, Weber is not good, so that is why I don't think we should be too hung up on him, we have better D.

Even if he tops out as a number 6 - there’s nothing wrong with that. Beats the hell out of crossing fingers on depth D men and trading assets to bolster that part of the lineup.

Being a #6 is fine, I'd be happy if he was, there are just a lot better prospects.

We had 4 number 6's last year and we have a bunch of fringe NHLers already.

Weber is not a top 5 prospect for us at D, so however bad our pool is, he is not in the top portion of it.

The only way he cracks people's top 5 is if someone values the floor of a prospect over their ceiling.

You’re really negative for no reason.

Realistic is the word you are looking for.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Good player, reliable defender who's physical and has shown some moments of offensive flair. Second pairing capable.

Worth locking up with term, but not a player who you should expect to break the bank for.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Based on how Tre was in Calgary, it's not surprising that he's looking to retain a physical vet D. I'd say there's a strong probability an extension is sorted mid season.

He'll get his current salary (again, salary, not caphit) + maybe a bit of inflation adjustment over 4-5 years. I'd be fine if it happens

Reactions: CincoHolio

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
McCabe is the type of player you enjoy to trade for at a retained deal. He provides 1-2M surplus value at 2M caphit in his latw 20s and early 30s

On a 5-6 year deal at 5-6M (expected he gets that as we saw what Zadorov, tanev, and OEL got with only Tanev better than him but way older) he is a guy who will be on the fans radar. He wont live well to that type of deal

Hoping we can acquire a Ekholm/Muzzin/Lindholm type player att the deadline and then move on from McCabe if its more than 4M at 3-4 years term

Chychuran would be a solid add if he came for not to much and I would leverage him (trade and extend) to let McCabe know we have 3.5-4M we can fit him in at if he wants to stay, otherwise thanks for the 2 seasons and best of luck

Chychrun and McCabe are as polar opposite as D men as you could get. Chych just isn’t good defensively but will likely put up offensive numbers, while still being a -25 in Washington. The offensive numbers will see him asking for $7mil plus while being a liability in his own zone.

If you’d prefer to replace McCabe, you’d want a different type of D. Borgen is more likely the target you’d want, similar style of play, three years younger, will be a UFA after this year.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad