THN: Leafs in conversations with Jake McCabe about an extension.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
That's good news. He's our 2nd best defenseman. Wish it was done already. Hopefully we get him at a good price and term.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
If they can get him locked into a deal similar to Muzzin's I'd be happy with that. McCabe was excellent in the playoffs and has shown he can handle hard matchups.

I am just not sure what they are trying to do constructing an old defence core. 4 of the top 6 will be 30+ when the playoffs start. Not sure if that's an issue or not, just saying it's not a young defence core. Do teams win the cup with an older D core, and aging every season obviously.

Reactions: Apex Predator

tuckerintensity

armed with will and determination
Jul 16, 2022
For the right price, let's do it. His current cap hit is a deal. For the wrong price, ain't no one gonna like him ten minutes after it's signed.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
He should get a slight raise to probably 5ish per.

For the right price, let's do it. His current cap hit is a deal. For the wrong price, ain't no one gonna like him ten minutes after it's signed.
Remember Chicago retained half his cap.

Reactions: ULF_55

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
I am just not sure what they are trying to do constructing an old defence core. 4 of the top 6 will be 30+ when the playoffs start. Not sure if that's an issue or not, just saying it's not a young defence core. Do teams win the cup with an older D core, and aging every season obviously.
Yeah this is a bit concerning but at the same time poor developing of defenseman have put them in this position.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Vegas had guys who were 33, 35 and 32. Florida had guys who were 29, 33, 32..and the youngest 27.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I mean a good d-man is a good d-man, McCabe hasn't shown any signs of slowing down anytime soon. That being said you're not wrong, the Leafs have unfortunately done a piss poor job of developing any young D for the most part, so this is the price we have to pay. Hopefully Niemela, Danford, Chadwick and some others can step up, or Liljegren can finally show that he's a legitimate top 4 guy.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He's been very good. People want functional physical players and he's that. He hits hard and he's tough as nails. He's shown solid offensive tools as well. I'm hoping he's back for awhile longer.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
We have a plethora of guys who could become bottom pairing NHLers... Danford, Chadwick and Niemela are the only ones with any likelihood of being more. But, the first two are years away from being in their D prime... which is typically 25ish.

The challenge as always, is if it isn't McCabe who is it? Not many UFA's younger... not many better at what he does. So, either we extend McCabe, overpay for a UFA, or trade away futures for a slightly younger version of McCabe, that someone is willing to trade. I'm kind of done with trading away futures for the time being.

He's the type of D man you can win with, love his compete. We need more of him, not less.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
If they can get him locked into a deal similar to Muzzin's I'd be happy with that. McCabe was excellent in the playoffs and has shown he can handle hard matchups.

5.625 for McCabe would be ugly.

He’s shown that he can handle tough matchups by being a team-worst minus 7 in his two playoff runs?

Last year was the first time he’s been a top-4 defender. Was that because he suddenly improved at age 30, or was it just by default because the rest of the blueline was bad?

He’ll be 32 when this next contract kicks in. Do we want to pay top-4 money for a declining player who wasn’t even a no-doubt top-4 guy at his peak?

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
5.625 for McCabe would be ugly.

He’s shown that he can handle tough matchups by being a team-worst minus 7 in his two playoff runs?

Last year was the first time he’s been a top-4 defender. Was that because he suddenly improved at age 30, or was it just by default because the rest of the blueline was bad?

He’ll be 32 when this next contract kicks in. Do we want to pay top-4 money for a declining player who wasn’t even a no-doubt top-4 guy at his peak?
Almost all of this is wrong lol. McCabe was genuinely good, to the point where he elevated a nobody in Simon Benoit as well. They received the hardest matchups against Boston and were even at 5v5 GA/GF, plus gave up the fewest shots and scoring chances against when they were on the ice. McCabe was also primarily matched against Pastrnak (and when he wasn't, he was matched against Marchand), and kept them both largely off the scoresheet. In particular he was a rock from games 5-7, not his fault this overrated offense can't score.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
If we had a high end NHL ready LD prospect I would say let him walk but we don’t so we need this guy. He’s gonna get a nice raise, like the player bud nervous about this contract.

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010
He doesn't think the game well enough to be a top 3 defender on a team thats actually a threat. Signing him would be a bad decision, but the facade must continue.

Reactions: hamzarocks

Dangles McGavin

RIP Lounge
Jul 7, 2010
Seattle/Waterloo
McCabe is excellent. We should absolutely re-sign him. Despite his age, he doesn’t have the playoff miles which should help as he gets older.

I’d also give him an A, but that seems unlikely so we can keep ol’ Marney and JT content.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Logical to re-sign him if that’s what he wants to do. If they don’t sign him they’ll be looking for him in free agency, so get it done. He’s on a 4x4, so 4x5 is about right.

Dale Gribble

Feb 9, 2019
I'd be all for this signing, as McCabe was a warrior for us in the playoffs. Admittedly, a bit concerned about the term and AAV Treliving might hand out here.

Liljegren at $3 million per and Tanev at 6 x $4.5 million per = What would McCabe worth be to our current GM ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad