This playoffs is exactly why we shouldn't panic with Markstrom just yet.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Bobrovsky is a two time Vezina winner eho beat a 62 win team before this season ever started.

Markstrom is a career AHLer who got promoted to the NHL as his prime was winding down and had one decent season behind a stacked team

Reactions: Boomstick

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Bobrovsky is a two time Vezina winner eho beat a 62 win team before this season ever started.

Markstrom is a career AHLer who got promoted to the NHL as his prime was winding down and had one decent season behind a stacked team

I don't see Markstrom repeating 2021-2022, but he is most likely to not be a liability going forward. Even if Markstrom posts a .910 we will do fine next season.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Markstrom really isn't that good. Goalies have good and bad stretches but the difference between the two shouldn't be that big. He would let in one of the first few shots he would see every game. He fell apart in the playoffs and couldn't play above replacement level until late in the season.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I mean, you can also look at Vasilevsky as an example of how great goalies can have mediocre results when their team isn't limiting chances effectively from the dangerous areas.

I think it would do people good to go back and look at footage from our previous goalies. We used to complain about our goalies letting in bad goals and just objectively not doing their job. This year it was a full season of complaining that he wasn't saving enough grade A chances when defensive coverage broke down multiple times every game.

Markstrom has shown that even if he faces a lot of shot quantity, he's very reliable in terms of making saves. He's not a guy you need to worry about if you collapse to the dangerous areas. The Flames did the opposite this year.

Last edited:

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
I'm not panicking about Markstrom, I have made peace with the reality that the flames have a middling 33 years old goaltender signed at 6M AAV with an NMC for the next three years.

But I guess since a different aging overpaid goaltender is on a hot streak right now, we can count on him?

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
Markstrom made me forget about how bad Mike Smith could be, I expect him to rebound this year, mostly because it doesn't seem possible to play that bad again. I hope Dustin Wolf can make some noise.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Markstrom was bad. So many times he got beat by easy wrist shots from the top of the circle. So many brutal rebounds. So many examples of his ability to move across the next as fast as an iceberg melting.

The Flames were 31st in Goals Saved Above Expected. That’s really bad.

I even said he wasn’t that great in his vezina nominated season. The Flames just don’t give up much. Sure they have some boneheaded plays, but less than other teams. At some point you need your goalie to make some saves.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Markstrom had a bad year, but so did Vladar. And Huberdeau. And Mangiapane. And Kadri. And our team as a whole. Last year Markstrom was great, year before he was good before being derailed by injuries, year before that he was amazing in Vancouver, year before that he was great…

Much more likely we see Markstrom return to form than this being the new normal. Our team defense quite literally can’t have as many breakdowns as it just did again, he’s no longer has to worry about becoming a dad, and whatever dumpster fire that was going on in the locker room has hopefully been extinguished.

Teams/players have random down seasons all the time just like when they have random career seasons, people who set expectations based on the outlier are setting themselves up to look bad in the long term. I for one still remember when 2016-17 was apparently the beginning of the end of Ovechkin’s career.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nanuuk

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I'm not panicking about Markstrom, I have made peace with the reality that the flames have a middling 33 years old goaltender signed at 6M AAV with an NMC for the next three years.

But I guess since a different aging overpaid goaltender is on a hot streak right now, we can count on him?
We've been through denial and anger already. Perhaps this is a form of bargaining?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Bobrovsky has a higher peak than Markstrom, Markstrom I think still has nightmares about McDavid.

Bob also has a bit of an excuse ... Florida had a thin blue line in front of him and played more run n' gun.

Markstrom some how managed to stink it up behind Sutter's solid defensive system.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
It's not so much about how bad he was and believe me when the teams up by one with 2 minutes left in the game he was the last guy you wanted in net this year . It's all about the 6 million he costs vs the 815k Wolf is Making on his ELC , balance that with the reality that Wolf has been the top Goalie in the AHL the past 2 seasons running , Wolf is as ready as any goalie has ever been to make the leap to the big league . Markstrom doesn't offer anything over Vladar and Wolf that justifies keeping him . I say offer him to Toronto along with any whiners that want out in a deal for Marner . There's talk Lindstrom wants out and I am skeptical of Toffoli's ability to repeat this past seasons production so maybe Treliving will take one or the other along with Markstrom for Mitch Marner ? One can dream can't he lol ?

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016

I get Markstrom was terrible this season, but most of this is exaggeration imo.

Markstrom hasn't touched the AHL since 2016, and averaged a .913 sv% with the Canucks and a .907 sv% with the Flames.

Not elite numbers by any means and 2021-22 looks to be an anomaly. But he's been a decent to very good goaltender with a .910 sv% or higher every year with the exception of his first and last season as a flame.

I wouldn't count on it, but he could still bounce back to at least being decent, maybe even very good.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
It's called age and it happens to all of us , He just isn't that guy anymore and if there is a GM out there who thinks he is we should take whatever we can get except salary , clearing his 6m completely would be a huge help for this team .

Reactions: Bjornar Moxnes

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Markstrom and Lindholm both welcomed their first child in February within a few weeks of each other. The before and after of a first child is quite intense.

Both guys I'd mark down as huge bounce back candidates once they get into a parent life groove.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad