Tribute This One Will Last A Lifetime -30 YEARS AGO TONIGHT

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
i was 4, didnt see it happen live but i wore out the season review VHS over the next few years

Luger

Aug 21, 2016
Clearwater, FL
Those who remember the time, who thinks we'd be better off if we didn't do any of the following trades and took our chance that and future years

1. Young Doug Weight (4 time All Star) for third line Tikkanen.
2. Young Amonte (5 time All Star) for Matteau and Noonan, basically third liners, one of whom got the most famous goal.
3. Gartner (who was still a 30 goal scorer for a few years) for a totally washed up Glenn Anderson who was on the 4th line for much of the playoffs.
4. Todd Marchant for MacTavish - I would maybe re-do, but even Marchant went one to play nearly 1,200 games. He peaked at 60 points, but was mostly a third liner.
5. Patrick and Turcotte for Larmer, Kypreos. Possibly would re-do, but one was a middle-6 forward and the other a top-4 D, while we got Larmer for less than 2 seasons.
6. Domi and Kris King for Olczyk, who became our 14th forward.
7. Oksiuta and a third for Kevin Lowe. A definite re-do.
8. Hurlbutt for Karpovtsev - a bust for a solid third pair D, a definite re-do.

Most of these trades turned out to be disasters, and none gave us a long-term star, while we lost several.

If none of the trades were made:

Graves - Messier - Kovalev
Nemchinov - Weight - Amonte
Gilbert - Turcotte - Gartner
King - Hudson - Kocur/Domi

Leetch - Beuk
Wells - Zubov
Patrick - Lidster

The defense needs depth and so does the bottom-6, but this team is a Cup contender for years from 1994 to the end of the decade. I suspect we win more than 1 Cup just getting rentals to plug some holes.

Also, we'd have Norstrom, Savard, Sundstrom, etc join the team in later years.

Last edited:

Mugless

Aug 26, 2004
Leetch with the split second hesitation before scoring on a wide open net. I nearly burst a testicle screaming, "SHOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!" :laugh:

The two ridiculous icings at the end and Larmer screaming at the ref

The crowd going nuts, "WE WANT THE CUP!!!!!"

Sam & JD

Messier's joy at getting the Cup and the roar when he lifted it

Richter lifting the Cup, the crowd goes bananas and he yells, "F*CK!!!!!"

Heave Ho team photo

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Was 9 and I became a fan the playoffs of ‘95. All I remember about the cup was seeing overturned cars/rioting in Vancouver on the evening news and my mom saying it was good one of the NY teams won, otherwise that woulda been us. So I was happy to not have riots.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
I was 6 when the Rangers won the Cup. '94 was the first year I started watching hockey because of my dad and brother. My brother went to school at RPI and we all went to a hockey game when we went to visit him. They read off RPI's roster, everyone cheered for each player. Then they read the away team's roster and after every player, the entire arena would yell "YOU SUCK!" and little 5/6 year old me was in absolute disbelief that an entire arena full of people just cursed. I was hooked from then on. :laugh:

All I remember from '94 was hanging out with my dad in his room, watching games while he shined his fancy work shoes. And pretending to be Richter making saves on a tennis ball in our living room.

OrangePMD

Feb 2, 2021
Finland
I was 13 y/o. And for some reason I didn't even watch game 7, slept through the night instead. I didn't even tape it. In the morning I checked the score and was like, "Cool, first of many".

Rangers were my favorite NHL team, but not hardcore. It's tough to be hardcore with a team you only see on TV few times a year. Also, I had only been a hockey fan for maybe two years at that point, so I really had no understanding of the joy of winning or pain of losing. I've had my share of sport fandom winning since then, but so much pain too.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
This is a metal printing plate of the back page of the New York Times
IMG_4326.jpeg

Last edited:

Mandar

The Real Maven
Sep 27, 2013
The Tarheel State
Those who remember the time, who thinks we'd be better off if we didn't do any of the following trades and took our chance that and future years

2. Young Amonte (5 time All Star) for Matteau and Noonan, basically third liners, one of whom got the most famous goal.
3. Gartner (who was still a 30 goal scorer for a few years) for a totally washed up Glenn Anderson who was on the 4th line for much of the playoffs.
4. Todd Marchant for MacTavish - I would maybe re-do, but even Marchant went one to play nearly 1,200 games. He peaked at 60 points, but was mostly a third liner.
5. Patrick and Turcotte for Larmer, Kypreos. Possibly would re-do, but one was a middle-6 forward and the other a top-4 D, while we got Larmer for less than 2 seasons.

Most of these trades turned out to be disasters, and none gave us a long-term star, while we lost several.

Leetch - Beuk
Wells - Zubov
Patrick - Lidster

The defense needs depth and it needs some depth, but this team is a Cup contender for years from 1994 to the end of the decade. I suspect we win more than 1 Cup just getting rentals to plug some holes.

I’d do every single one of those trades again. Because we root for the front of the Jersey, not the back. Yes, we had to trade away talent to get us over the hump….and we prevailed with that team….not a team with names that we have to wonder “what if”.

All you guys can shit over the ‘94 mentions and memories….sad that you don’t have that memory and experience that the rest of us had. Go ahead and complain that it’s ancient history or other garbage. Yes, we have an awful history of championship success….and all of us want another one. But all who are shitting on the best time this franchise has had in its history can eat shit and pout.

Yes….Sam was right….it will last a lifetime. f*** all of you who want to try to tarnish that.

Reactions: AirGut

Row I Goon

Nov 14, 2018
But seriously - was 24, newlywed (January) and wife was/is a diehard Canuck.

Lean times in the boudoir, my friends, lean, lean times……..

• Wow
Reactions: TheWrongWay

Luger

Aug 21, 2016
Clearwater, FL
I’d do every single one of those trades again. Because we root for the front of the Jersey, not the back. Yes, we had to trade away talent to get us over the hump….and we prevailed with that team….not a team with names that we have to wonder “what if”.

All you guys can shit over the ‘94 mentions and memories….sad that you don’t have that memory and experience that the rest of us had. Go ahead and complain that it’s ancient history or other garbage. Yes, we have an awful history of championship success….and all of us want another one. But all who are shitting on the best time this franchise has had in its history can eat shit and pout.

Yes….Sam was right….it will last a lifetime. f*** all of you who want to try to tarnish that.

Yes, we prevailed once with those guys. I suspect, we'd prevail several times without them.

Mandar

The Real Maven
Sep 27, 2013
The Tarheel State
Yes, we prevailed once with those guys. I suspect, we'd prevail several times without them.
Suspect all you want….facts are that we DID win with those players. And those guys we traded away? Amonte never won a cup; Gartner never won a cup (one of my favorite players); Weight won one and Marchant won one…both later in their careers….Patrick, Turcotte, King, and Domi never won a cup. So what did we exactly miss there? Your suspected many cups?

And what did we get in return? Every one of them has a ring….

TheWrongWay

May 7, 2023
New York
But seriously - was 24, newlywed (January) and wife was/is a diehard Canuck.

Lean times in the boudoir, my friends, lean, lean times……..

Wow, same deal. My ex-wife at that time was from Vancouver Island. As a New Yorker, her family already had animosity toward me cuz the Islanders swept the Canucks in the 82 Finals.

I had similar love life worries before the 94 Finals if Van lost to another NY team.

Fortunately, my ex-wife was fairly cool about it, cuz I was worried I'd need to buy her a Mercedes or something after another NY team beat the Canucks.

TheWrongWay

May 7, 2023
New York

Leetch - Beuk
Wells - Zubov
Patrick - Lidster

The defense needs depth and it needs some depth, but this team is a Cup contender for years from 1994 to the end of the decade. I suspect we win more than 1 Cup just getting rentals to plug some holes.

I mostly felt the same at the time, except I was not and still am not sure of that due to the weight of winning a first drought-breaking Cup back then.

Maybe it needed a psycho Keenan and some especially hardened vets to get over the severe pressure of trying to overcome that long-ass drought in such a major city like NY. Who knows?

Luger

Aug 21, 2016
Clearwater, FL
It's ridiculous to say you make every single trade. It's like saying that if Edmonton trades McDavid and Leon over the summer for a ton of aging vets in their last contract year, and then the Oilers win the Cup, the trades are worth it.

Gartner for Anderson is an obvious bad move since Anderson was a total waste of a 4th liner in the playoffs. He was no better than Vesey is now, maybe worse. I'll take Amonte and Gartner in the top 9 over Matteau and Noonan. It's not even a close call if you watched any of them in 1993-94. It probably doesn't go to Game 7 against either the Devils or the Canucks if the Rangers have Weight, Amonte and Gartner instead of third liners (or at best middle 6) Tikkanen, Matteau and Noonan.

If the Rangers have those guys, they are also very strong contenders in 1995 and 1996. Then Gartner leaves, but Gretzky comes in. Then Marc Savard. Meanwhile the core of Messier, Graves, Kovalev, Leetch, Zubov, Richter is still there in addition to Amonte, Weight, Gartner/Gretzky/Savard. There are no Dark Ages with this group. There are probably multiple Cups.

The trades were badly mishandled.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005

Leetch - Beuk
Wells - Zubov
Patrick - Lidster

Yeah should have kept the kids. And also never traded Zubov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad