Tribute This One Will Last A Lifetime -30 YEARS AGO TONIGHT

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I spent the day in a meeting in Hershey PA. Stopped at my house and grabbed what I thought was my Rangers nylon jacket. Turns out I grabbed my sons’ Cub jacket. Karma?

The rest of the day went smoothly. Train was on time, Don Pepi’s was busy and the game was the best non family moment of my life. I became a Ranger fan when I was 7 years old. It was a long wait but worth it.

After the game I bought a tee shirt, sat back down in the stands and had a good cry. The next day I went to my father’s grave to tell him everything that happened.

A uniquely personal experience.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
67815261089__58D71D76-DDE7-4607-9EEA-6DA46D10A123.JPG

I remember this day like it happened yesterday. It was a sweltering 97˚ in the city that day & everyone was just tense as hell. The game was magical for 2 periods & absolutely terrifying in the 3rd. Once it ended, it was an absolute whirlwind of hugs & high fives. When the crowd erupted into a "1940" chant, you could really feel the elation of the moment.

I was able to attend the post game parties in the Garden events spaces, the Play by Play was open to certain fans & the Club restaurant that was for the team only. I left the Garden at about 1am & stayed out in the city partying with people I met at the game...when I got off the LIRR in Queens at 7AM, people waiting on the other side of the track going to work looked at me very strangely. At the time I still lived at home with my mother who had to unlock to door to let me in the house...she looked at me & smiled, but never gave me shit for staying out all night without calling.

I had to be back in the city at 930 for work on the 15th & I had a ton of friends calling me. They knew I was at the game, but couldn't understand why I didn't sound more fired up about the victory. Only when I explained to the I was working on about 45 minutes of sleep did they start laughing their asses off at my drunk ass.

I have a love hate/relationship with this day. I loved every minute of it, but I hate that we still have to relive it 30 years later because this organization is so inept.

SeanAveryTheGreatOne

Jul 4, 2021

I hate that we still have to relive it 30 years later because this organization is so inept.
Agreed. I am an old man with kids of my own, and I wasn't even alive for it. That's how long ago it was. I have to imagine other fanbases laugh hard every year they see MSG playing Summer of '94 after we get eliminated. I'd be laughing if Leafs fans were still celebrating 1967.

Saw this on the mainboard. It really epitomizes how woefully incompetent this Dolan franchise is, what with us wasting 15 years of prime Lundqvist without a single f***ing Cup win:

1717459599816.png

Cygnus 2112

Aug 7, 2014
Long Island
The first hockey game I ever watched. My best friend was a big fan and he explained the significance of it so I tuned in. Obviously I didn’t know what was going on (I remember thinking at the end ‘what the hell is icing and why do they keep saying it’s happening?’). Became a fan and have been ever since. But yeah, as much as I love the highlight clips and Road To Victory, enough already. Win NOW.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
It's like Rangers fans back then made a deal with the devil. If you let us win this after 54 years (and a good decade's worth of taunts from Islanders and other fans) that'll be enough. We're not greedy and we won't bother you again.

But then of course it wasn't enough but it's what we got and all future Rangers fans have had to suck it.....so you can blame us but looked at another way this could be year 84. One thing I remember well was how it finished with that stupid f*** of a linesman Collins calling two straight plays icings in the final moments that weren't really icings. Besides the players passing the Cup around the next best thing was the parade. That was awesome.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I turned 6 years old on the same day, and wasn't even a Rangers fan yet.

I think I owned a Florida Panthers lunch tin, because I was a child and I liked the logo. At some point during this run, Messier and Richter both got on my radar and, along with Hasek, I was always one of those three guys when I played road hockey.

Without this cup, I may have ended up a Sabres fan. Terrifying.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I had just turned 9 and was just beginning to be a Hockey fan. Don't remember much but my dad setting off the outside alarm throughout the neighborhood when they won the game (it was LOUD).

• Love
Reactions: Clark Kellogg

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I turned 6 years old on the same day, and wasn't even a Rangers fan yet.

I think I owned a Florida Panthers lunch tin, because I was a child and I liked the logo. At some point during this run, Messier and Richter both got on my radar and, along with Hasek, I was always one of those three guys when I played road hockey.

Without this cup, I may have ended up a Sabres fan. Terrifying.
Happy Birthday!

• Love
Reactions: Harbour Dog

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Was talking to an older woman who runs an antique store in Montclair.

I saw a Rangers jersey in the window and on a whim I popped in to buy a lotto ticket. (Didnt win of course)

However, had a nice conversation with her about the Rangers not getting over the hump this year and 94.

We were talking about it we both agreed - We will ALWAYS have that 94 win. Something tells me it will be that way for a very long time. Regardless, we will always have 1994.

Thank God for that.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I was 5 years old and didn’t know what hockey was yet. Didn’t start watching until 1997. Then they wouldn’t even make the playoffs again until I was graduating from high school.

My actual greatest memories of the team is the 2011-12 season, when we didn’t even make the SCF.

Thanks for nothing, Rongos.

Last edited:
Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad