Post-Game Talk: This is the end

Was this season a success?

• Total voters

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
It's a dumb simplification of something complex. It completely ignores the Panthers role in it

Blaming McDavid is insaneville, the entire team was playing for him. He set all kinds of records, in both seasons, while playing hurt

He just carried us to one bounce away from a cup. He is going to carry this team to at least one cup in the next five years, and you are shitting on him.
I’m not shitting on him, I’m just saying he didn’t show up here and honestly it will push him harder. And I think he knows it.

OfCorsiDid

Darkness consumes everything.
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Grade 11 and at a party in St. Albert when the Oilers won #5. After the game we debated going downtown to celebrate with the rest of the city. “Nah,”we said, “we’re having too much fun here. We’ll go next year…”

Best advice I got from my parents while I was visiting for the finals. For the first few games we went to local bars/houses with my good friends. But for game 5-7 they said:

“Go downtown. Be in the crowd. If you don’t you’ll regret it”

And the moss pit was a great time for game 6. They were absolutely right!

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yet they weren't the problem. Foegele scored 3 goals, Holloway 2 iirc. Foegele and Holloway had literally nothing to with Drai making poor decisions with the puck, or standing still while Panthers closed on him.
The part where Draisaitl has been injured for over a month is the part you seem to keep forgetting.

Best advice I got from my parents while I was visiting for the finals. For the first few games we went to local bars/houses with my good friends. But for game 5-7 they said:

“Go downtown. Be in the crowd. If you don’t you’ll regret it”

And the moss pit was a great time for game 6. They were absolutely right!
I’ll regret not going/not being able to go.
But what is life but not a long series of regrets lol.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Who signed Nurse and Campbell to their contracts which has directly impacted our cap in very negative ways?
LOL. You cry about winger. Did you witness what a semi injured Kane could do on the forecheck? Did you witness what an extremely injured Kane played like?

You scrambling to blame Holland for not adding some magical winger is no different than me saying if Kane was 80% healthy by this game he could have made a key forecheck, hit or goal.

Like I said, you are upset and reaching for excuses that aren't there

The Oil did not come out firing the neutral zone this game. It wasn't cuz of some magic cap you think was missed. It was cuz they were slower and flipped pucks out waaaaaaay to much as was reported in the 2nd period by ESPN. A few more plays like Ceci's by a dman would have been instramental

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
LOL. You cry about winger. Did you witness what a semi injured Kane could do on the forecheck? Did you witness what an extremely injured Kane played like?

You scrambling to blame Holland for not adding some magical winger is no different than me saying if Kane was 80% healthy by this game he could have made a key forecheck, hit or goal.

Like I said, you are upset and reaching for excuses that aren't there

The Oil did not come out firing the neutral zone this game. It wasn't cuz of some magic cap you think was missed. It was cuz they were slower and flipped pucks out waaaaaaay to much as was reported in the 2nd period by ESPN. A few more plays like Ceci's by a dman would have been instramental
Defending Holland this much won’t make him buy you that new bike Brad. You are a grown up you can do that yourself.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
A healthy Kane would have been massive for this series. I’m not sure how anyone could think otherwise
I don’t think healthy Kane exists anymore unfortunately. He was really good in the playoffs that first year with those 17 points in 15 games and had sadly only had 13 in the past 32.

I don’t think we will get healthy Kane back.

Reactions: Lannes

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting
Yet they weren't the problem. Foegele scored 3 goals, Holloway 2 iirc. Foegele and Holloway had literally nothing to with Drai making poor decisions with the puck, or standing still while Panthers closed on him.
You fail to note that a few of those goals were on spectacular setups by Drai. Foegele is usually a nothing player. he did manage to elevate in Final after taking most of the playoffs off and even being a healthy scratch.

Drai on the other hand played hard and took tons of punishment in playoffs and probably ran out of steam.

I love Holloway but he's not there yet as a topsix winger.

Panthers are an interesting case though in that the Oilers haven't played them a lot. So that it can be harder for players, and even superstars to figure teams out that they don't see a lot.

Again Drai was 70% on the dot tonight in a game 7 and was making a ton of plays. He can't finish worth shit now with his broken finger and we don't know what other injuries he's dealing with.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
You fail to note that a few of those goals were on spectacular setups by Drai. Foegele is usually a nothing player. he did manage to elevate in Final after taking most of the playoffs off and even being a healthy scratch.

Drai on the other hand played hard and took tons of punishment in playoffs and probably ran out of steam.

I love Holloway but he's not there yet as a topsix winger.

Panthers are an interesting case though in that the Oilers haven't played them a lot. So that it can be harder for players, and even superstars to figure teams out that they don't see a lot.

Again Drai was 70% on the dot tonight in a game 7 and was making a ton of plays. He can't finish worth shit now with his broken finger and we don't know what other injuries he's dealing with.
I don’t know how anyone can watch Draisaitl the past month or so and not tell he is injured and fighting something pretty serious. It’s obvious in everything he does.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting
I don’t know how anyone can watch Draisaitl the past month or so and not tell he is injured and fighting something pretty serious. It’s obvious in everything he does.
With Drai here its always what have you done for me lately. In the this game or this period sense....

I've never seen a weirder case of scapegoating a player in all my time of discussing hockey with fans. Any other fanbase probably loves this player unconditionally.

HellebuyckOurSaviour

Apr 8, 2014
Winnipeg
Jets fan here, you guys played just unreal, starting from when you guys were in last place, last place in a league of 32. To come back, go on that insane win streak, get into the playoffs, and make it to a game 7, Stanley Cup final, that's some pretty crazy stuff, even if you didn't win, there is NO REASON for anyone to hang their head. Team almost did the unthinkable, hell our team was up there all season, and then did the usual win one lose 4 in a row. Party it up for the rest of the week, enjoy the summer and get ready for next season, as training camp will be here sooner than you think. See you all next season. 🍻🍻🍻

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
With Drai here its always what have you done for me lately. In the this game or this period sense....

I've never seen a weirder case of scapegoating a player in all my time of discussing hockey with fans. Any other fanbase probably loves this player unconditionally.
It’s cause we have McDavid. As long as we have him Draisaitl is always second.

That’s the only reason I could ever see Drai wanting to leave. To go somewhere we it’s HIM.

Reactions: Duke74

M Ace

Apr 12, 2010
Orebro, Sweden
42 points in the playoff is respectful, I give McDavid that. But to not show up for 5/7 games during the final-series is just embarrising.

And Draisaitl?

Was he even playing the final?

If you look at the all time great; Howe, Gretzky, Lemieux, Messier, Crosby, Yzerman, MacKinnon & Kucherov, they delievered when it mattered the most and everything was on the line!

I am angry, just angry. I was counting on 3-4 points on both McDavid & Draisaitl tonight!

Congratulations Florida to the cup!

Reactions: Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011

He’s clearly been playing injured, but not one single goal in the Finals is disappointing no matter how it’s measured.
McDavid also playing injured and put up two 4 point game masterclasses, and even he is left wanting (winning the Smythe because no one else was close to deserving it in the winning team).

UHHHH SON

Sep 29, 2010

Best fans in the league, but we still have some inexperienced ones. Those fans are too spoiled to know. If they got their wish Draisaitl and McDavid would post 50 points each this playoffs. Allowing for Skinner to post among the worst goalie stats and be the winning goalie.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting
42 points in the playoff is respectful, I give McDavid that. But to not show up for 5/7 games during the final-series is just embarrising.

And Draisaitl?

If you look at the all time great; Howe, Gretzky, Lemieux, Messier, Crosby, Yzerman, MacKinnon & Kucherov, they delievered when it mattered the most and everything was on the line!

I am angry, just angry. I was counting on 3-4 points on both McDavid & Draisaitl tonight!

Most of the players you mention played on deep legend rosters. Kucherov has misfired in playoffs many more times than fired. Without a packed squad and extra TDL help and player additions he doesn't get a cup either. Imagine an Oiler fan pretending a worm like Kucherov is some clutch playoff player.

Mackinnon had his one year playoff run on another packed roster loaded with depth.

The Oilers lineup has some flaws to it. Winning the cup isn't just about the top players.

42 Playoff pts isn't "respectful" its fan f***ing tastic.

Are we gonna continue to be that fanbase that can't appreciate even some of the greatest ever things?

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
That standing still is something he started doing this year and drive me mental. I love Drai, but he doesn’t challenger the net anymore. He goes to his spot and waits for the puck.

Reactions: Balakay14

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Most of the players you mention played on deep legend rosters. Kucherov has misfired in playoffs many more times than fired. Without a packed squad and extra TDL help and player additions he doesn't get a cup either. Imagine an Oiler fan pretending a worm like Kucherov is some clutch playoff player.

Mackinnon had his one year playoff run on another packed roster loaded with depth.

The Oilers lineup has some flaws to it. Winning the cup isn't just about the top players.

42 Playoff pts isn't "respectful" its fan f***ing tastic.

Are we gonna continue to be that fanbase that can't appreciate even some of the greatest ever things?

Depth wasn’t an issue with this team. Depth were the only ones to produce in the two most important games this year, 6 & 7 of this series

It’s okay to admit that McDrai, as godly as they were these playoffs, weren’t good enough tonight.

Reactions: harpoon and guymez

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

And Draisaitl?

Sidney Crosby has 2G, 4A 6P and is -2 in 8 career game 7s.

Fun fact, when Crosby won his first cup he had 3 points in 7 games in the finals against Detroit. Not a single point in the final 3 games. Penguins won that game 7 with a score of 2-1. Both goals came from career 4th liner Max Talbot.

Crosby has 4 goals and 20 points in 25 SCF games.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting
He’s clearly been playing injured, but not one single goal in the Finals is disappointing no matter how it’s measured.
McDavid also playing injured and put up two 4 point game masterclasses, and even he is left wanting (winning the Smythe because no one else was close to deserving it in the winning team).
He can't even shoot the puck right now. Clear as day. Gonna be hard beating Bobo without a best shot.

I don't think Drai had much left by the final and in fairness he's not superhuman for endurance like McD is. Nobody is.

I don't find ultimately that either are wanting. They are the reason we watch, generally speaking and carry the team most years and most playoffs. Ultimately they didn't have much left and who knows how bad they are banged up.

I do think we're going to see continued drop off in Leon scoring though. he's greatly exceeded any projections but he's mostly a setplay scorer. Not really a classic top scorer that scores from a ton of areas and with a variety of shots. A scouted Drai is gonna be less effective. Florida sure knew what they were doing with coverage.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Skinner is so weird. His game 1-3 stats have got to be some of the worst in NHL history. Then once he needs to play for his life he finds a way to be damn near lights out in elimination games. Tonight wasn't his fault by any means, but if he played the way he did in games 4-7 this series probably doesn't even go 7 games. Same can be said about bob I guess (although he was consistently good all post season minus 3 games against the best offensive team in the league )
The team played like games 1-3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad