Pre-Game Talk: This is me

Status
Not open for further replies.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Honestly it shouldn’t have changed much. Not a big difference between down 3-0 at home vs down 3-1 heading into another teams barn. Win game 5 somehow and the odds would take a huge jump.

Yeah 3-1 is still a pretty ridiculous hill to climb, and nobody should be surprised at all if Florida wins tomorrow. But if we do manage to somehow squeak out a win in game 5, the odds are gonna take a huge jump like you say.

The uncomfortable truth every fan of this sport just kinda pretends not to notice is that isolated to individual game samples, the team with the better performing goalie is almost always the team that wins.

"Hockey should be called goalie" is one of my favorite sayings about the sport. As a former goalie myself, I can tell you that a lot of tending is luck as well. Sure, you put yourself in the position to statistically make the save, but its still a probability based on position, angle, situation, etc in many, MANY, circumstances. Luck plays a ridiculously high role in goaltending, although most goalies will deny this in my experience, lol.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
RDT_20240617_0918342652204836024698740.jpg

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
My hope is that it partially works against Florida. There is a seed of doubt planted, and rather than get right back at it they have two full days off to build tension.

Anyway, all these games feel like coin flips and so far FLA has had the bigger share of fortune in this series.

They had us at 9% down 0-3? :O

That's shockingly high at 9%. Historically teams down 3-0 have lost 98% of the time.

Teams down 3-1 have lost 90.8% of the time, and teams that won Game 4 to still trail 3-1 have lost 95% of the time with 70% of those losses being in Game 5.

Trailing teams that win Game 5 to make a series 3-2 still lose 79.4% of the time and 91% of the teams that rallied to 3-2 from a 3-0 deficity still lost the series.

(Each of these examples show even worse percentage when the trailing team didn't have home ice advantage overall in the series).

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting
That's shockingly high at 9%. Historically teams down 3-0 have lost 98% of the time.

Teams down 3-1 have lost 90.8% of the time, and teams that won Game 4 to still trail 3-1 have lost 95% of the time with 70% of those losses being in Game 5.

Trailing teams that win Game 5 to make a series 3-2 still lose 79.4% of the time and 91% of the teams that rallied to 3-2 from a 3-0 deficity still lost the series.

(Each of these examples show even worse percentage when the trailing team didn't have home ice advantage overall in the series).
Even in terms of raw permutation probability of 4 coin flips in a row is 1/16 or 6.25% But thats in a probability without extraneous variables.

The probability of an Oiler win happening 4 times in a row subsequent to the other team being up 3-0 ought to be lower than the random coin flip permutation.

In other words the 9% probability is weirdly skewed to Oilers even after the 3 losses. I say weirdly in a probability sense, not in a real world and what the Oilers are sense. Agreed with you the 9% is high. Could be some house hedging going on as gambling sites are already gonna lose out big time if Oilers win as based on betting when the Oilers were struggling early in season. Those bets will of course have huge payouts if Oilers win.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Even in terms of raw permutation probability of 4 coin flips in a row is 1/16 or 6.25% But thats in a probability without extraneous variables.

The probability of an Oiler win happening 4 times in a row subsequent to the other team being up 3-0 ought to be lower than the random coin flip permutation.

In other words the 9% probability is weirdly skewed to Oilers even after the 3 losses. I say weirdly in a probability sense, not in a real world and what the Oilers are sense. Agreed with you the 9% is high. Could be some house hedging going on as gambling sites are already gonna lose out big time if Oilers win as based on betting when the Oilers were struggling early in season. Those bets will of course have huge payouts if Oilers win.

For sure. I especially find it surprisingly high considering their model still liked Florida normally. I think they had Edmonton as small favorite going into it, but Florida was still typically high in their power rankings.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
You need luck some luck to win most games in the playoffs. We didn't get much, if any, in games 1 and 3, and then got a bunch in game 4. Hockey is determined by luck a LOT more than most people, especially huge hockey fans, want to admit.
No doubt . At worst , the series should be tied 2-2. Game 1 ..that was lopsided but Bob..

Reactions: Oilhawks

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

Yeah, the odds are SUPER stacked against us, but we all knew that. We were the better team in 3 of the 4 games, but yet are down 3 games to 1, lol. Hockey is a weird sport.

Reactions: capazzo

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
One game at a time. I have some doubts they will be able to play a similar game as Saturday on that garbage Florida ice. But we're due to take a close one.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
One game at a time. I have some doubts they will be able to play a similar game as Saturday on that garbage Florida ice. But we're due to take a close one.

Don't need great ice to spread out their defense by sending guys on the rush and chipping pucks to space up ice. I feel like the formula Saturday is convertible to bad ice as well.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Yeah, the odds are SUPER stacked against us, but we all knew that. We were the better team in 3 of the 4 games, but yet are down 3 games to 1, lol. Hockey is a weird sport.
I don’t know that locker room gives me “not one yard” vibes from Remember the Titans.

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie

1718663732510.png

leonleonheart

Lurker vet, rookie poster.
May 24, 2014
Just arrived in Fort Lauderdale today, for game 5 on Tuesday.
Anybody know of any local hangouts here, or in sunrise, that I may be able to bond with my fellow brethren Oiler fans?
Two of the guys at Oilersnation went down there for games 1 and 2. Frank Seravali told them to check out the Elbo Room.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Just arrived in Fort Lauderdale today, for game 5 on Tuesday.
Anybody know of any local hangouts here, or in sunrise, that I may be able to bond with my fellow brethren Oiler fans?
Plenty of Burlesque/Cabarets in the area. That's a great way of bonding with fellow Oil fans. ;)
If that's not your thing, there's an area by the shore that are full of bars. Nice town...

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium