Things to do in San Jose

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Where can one buy hockey sticks? Somewhere in or between SF and SJ?

A place with a big selection, a hockey specific store.

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
  • Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

Bizz

Slacked for Mack
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
you can always check out our world class restaurants like Applebee's and Buffalo Wild Wings.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Where can one buy hockey sticks? Somewhere in or between SF and SJ?

A place with a big selection, a hockey specific store.
I was so bummed that Hockey X-Sport or whatever that was in Oakland shutdown because of the pandemic. Only place I was ever really able to shop around a large selection of gear.

Nowadays I buy stuff online or at Sharks Ice, where there’s a passable selection of gear. Bought my last stick in Fremont, some gear at Oakland, etc.

Reactions: CHALUPA

Hawkeye8

Aug 2, 2002
San Pablo, CA
I was so bummed that Hockey X-Sport or whatever that was in Oakland shutdown because of the pandemic. Only place I was ever really able to shop around a large selection of gear.

Nowadays I buy stuff online or at Sharks Ice, where there’s a passable selection of gear. Bought my last stick in Fremont, some gear at Oakland, etc.
Hockey X Superstore was where I'd always by my gear. I really was bummed out when it closed.

As far a sticks, would usually get then there as well, unless I happened to see a good sale at one of the pro shops in one of the local rinks.

Reactions: Juxtaposer

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
you can always check out our world class restaurants like Applebee's and Buffalo Wild Wings.

I know people like to joke about how bland San Jose is, but when I come to visit, I have a list of places I try to eat every visit:

• Original Joe's in Downtown SJ. An institution, amazing Italian food but honestly I love their burger there. (shrugs)
  • SmokeEaters in SJ (Almaden Expy, downtown location closed a few years ago) or Santa Clara. Can't beat their atomic or nuclear wings. Can't get that flavor of wings anywhere else other than Wicked Chicken in Santa Clara and a few Cluck U locations in Maryland.
  • El Farolito, the famous SF mission style burrito place, has a SJ location
  • For something very low brow, I will die on the hill that the best "American style" nachos (chips, cheese, and jalapeños) in the nation is at Mark's Hot Dogs in East SJ.
  • Absolutely fantastic sandwiches at Bertucelli's. Yeah I prefer Little Luca in Burlingame/South SF, but this is right up there.

Reactions: Bizz

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
someplace purely hockey?
:huh::huh::huh: i'm coming up dry!
I think one2gamble is referencing Pure Hockey:

EDIT: holy shit hockey sticks are expensive!

Yea I'm a Pure Hockey loyalist because they have a branch near my parent's house back east, but I saw they only have a branch in SJ. I'll be in SF mostly.

If you think that's expensive, consider that sticks are made in Asia (sometimes Thailand), exported to the US, then re-exported to Thailand and marked up. AND our cost of living/purchasing power is lower. So a $200 stick becomes like ~$280 here, and for that price you could have a domestic weekend getaway at the beach lol

I think i went there in like 2018 at the suggestion of people here as well. Do you know if Sharks ice or any of the Sharks-related shops sell pro-stock sticks? I always need to add an extension to retail sticks and this time want to try pro-stock.

Hockey X Superstore was where I'd always by my gear. I really was bummed out when it closed.

As far a sticks, would usually get then there as well, unless I happened to see a good sale at one of the pro shops in one of the local rinks.
Are there any local rinks in SF proper that would have a good selection? I'm staying in Outer Sunset and will have a car.

Thanks everyone - hate to be picky but at my height most of the retails sticks are just too short, so the bigger the selection the better!

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
You're probably better off just adding an extension if you're tall
I've been adding extensions for over 15 years, it sucks. Throws off the weight, the flex, kickpoint....everything. Plus sticks are different lengths, so if I break one that's 59in with a 3in extention, then I need to replace it with another 59 inch stick of the same brand so that the extension fits and is the right length.

Extensions are also $45......

Being really tall is great an all but the "tall tax" is real :laugh::laugh:

Reactions: Sandisfan

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
I always need to add an extension to retail sticks and this time want to try pro-stock.

at my height most of the retails sticks are just too short

Being really tall is great an all but the "tall tax" is real :laugh::laugh:

Hi tiburon12,

I noticed your profile on HFBoards and think there could be a great fit between your unique skills and an exciting RD position we're looking to fill at San Jose Sharks.

I'd love to tell you more about it and also hear about what you're looking for in your next role.

Happy to hop on a quick call at your convenience via calendly.com/gmmg/30-minute-meeting to discuss.

Thanks,
Mike

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Hi tiburon12,

I noticed your profile on HFBoards and think there could be a great fit between your unique skills and an exciting RD position we're looking to fill at San Jose Sharks.

I'd love to tell you more about it and also hear about what you're looking for in your next role.

Happy to hop on a quick call at your convenience via calendly.com/gmmg/30-minute-meeting to discuss.

Thanks,
Mike
I met you once, Mike. I remember you signed my jersey with your left hand, which i noted because you played Righty. I think you also used an Easton SL Grip at that time, just like me.

For these reasons alone I'd like Wennberg money please.

RussianShark

Cheech
Mar 15, 2009
Stanley's
I miss EastWest Hockey in San Mateo. And Power Play hockey next to The Tank.

@tiburon12 If you're in SF I would probably just buy it online if you're looking for an extra tall stick, a lot of the sites have free returns too.

Pure Hockey is cool but feels geared more towards younger players. Not enough senior stock.

Reactions: tiburon12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad