Rumor: Things Not Left Unsaid 3 - Flyers Rumors and Media Mentions: Never Ending Circles

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think their approach is things like play making are primarily instinctive, you have to obtain the talent (Michkov), other things like fundamentals, back checking, forechecking etc. can be coached.

It's like cross ice passes, you don't mind your really good offensive players taking chances, what you mind are mediocre offensive players taking bad risks b/c they want to emulate better players.

Put it this way, if Michkov tries a Michigan, Torts will laugh, if Tippett tries it, Torts will go ballistic. Because Tippett needs to be working on the basics of his game, not getting cute.

• Haha
Reactions: SnS

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I think their approach is things like play making are primarily instinctive, you have to obtain the talent (Michkov), other things like fundamentals, back checking, forechecking etc. can be coached.

It's like cross ice passes, you don't mind your really good offensive players taking chances, what you mind are mediocre offensive players taking bad risks b/c they want to emulate better players.

Put it this way, if Michkov tries a Michigan, Torts will laugh, if Tippett tries it, Torts will go ballistic. Because Tippett needs to be working on the basics of his game, not getting cute.

They do mind it. That's why nobody does it much and it is rare. TK is pretty much the only forward to routinely try it and he's always been prone to going rogue.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Torts has always allowed his skill offensive players to do their thing as long as they try on defense.

He read the riot act to Allison after he made a number of ill advised cross ice passes, but Allison was a forward with a limited skill set who needed to play north-south (when he was healthy) to be effective. Torts wants his players to "know their limitations." So he'll ask York to be more aggressive on offense, but notice he ain't saying that about Risto.

TK pretty much had carte blanche last year and probably was given too long a leash, but they needed scoring.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Torts has always allowed his skill offensive players to do their thing as long as they try on defense.

He read the riot act to Allison after he made a number of ill advised cross ice passes, but Allison was a forward with a limited skill set who needed to play north-south (when he was healthy) to be effective. Torts wants his players to "know their limitations." So he'll ask York to be more aggressive on offense, but notice he ain't saying that about Risto.

TK pretty much had carte blanche last year and probably was given too long a leash, but they needed scoring.

Only if they play purely north-south. Those with an east-west playmaking game are not allowed to do their thing. Tortorella teams do not challenge goalies by design.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Don't think last night's game decided anything as far as roster decisions.

It was a "tired legs" game, so yes, it will impact how a player is viewed in terms of not stepping up and working through fatigue.

But they'll also look at how someone like Attard plays in his next game, does he have the mental toughness to put a bad game behind him and step up.

However, I'd rather see Seeler than a marginal prospect who hasn't shown he's NHL caliber.
It's up to prospects to seize opportunities to "Wally Pipp" a starter.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Don't think last night's game decided anything as far as roster decisions.

It was a "tired legs" game, so yes, it will impact how a player is viewed in terms of not stepping up and working through fatigue.

But they'll also look at how someone like Attard plays in his next game, does he have the mental toughness to put a bad game behind him and step up.

However, I'd rather see Seeler than a marginal prospect who hasn't shown he's NHL caliber.
It's up to prospects to seize opportunities to "Wally Pipp" a starter.
Tired legs game lol. Help me understand how it was a tired legs game as it was the 1st game for many who played.

When did Seeler become this magical vet all around great defensemen that the team cant do without. I like Seeler as he turned his career around. But damn this is getting ridiculous. Attard had no shot before this game and he has no shot after this game. He will be waived and unclaimed.

Any thoughts on Eklind and why the low minutes for someone they are giving a look to.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Tired legs game lol. Help me understand how it was a tired legs game as it was the 1st game for many who played.

When did Seeler become this magical vet all around great defensemen that the team cant do without. I like Seeler as he turned his career around. But damn this is getting ridiculous. Attard had no shot before this game and he has no shot after this game. He will be waived and unclaimed.

Any thoughts on Eklind and why the low minutes for someone they are giving a look to.
Hard practices following the "gauntlet."
They run long practices, and the players who didn't play Sunday had the normal practice session.

With a day off they should be much fresher Thursday.

I think this holds for any sport, no matter how much you train in the summer, the first week of a hard training camp taxes you until your muscles get used to the pace and stress of game like action.

They certainly skated like a group that had tired legs.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
They run long practices, and the players who didn't play Sunday had the normal practice session.

I think this holds for any sport, no matter how much you train in the summer, the first week of a hard training camp taxes you until your muscles get used to the pace and stress of game like action.

There were no tired legs. Just a non descript going through the motions type game for many. Others just are not very good.

Wonder if Eklind will get more than 14 minutes next game.

The dude has always been a nightmare defensively. I don't know why ANYONE thought he'd be NHL ready.
He very well never will be. He has enough pro experience at this point. Doesn't seem the Flyers think he fits into any of their future plans.

Think maybe they would have had someone come in and do some hands on teaching with him.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Think maybe they would have had someone come in and do some hands on teaching with him.
Think they have, head of player development was a D-man, who as an assistant coach with the Phantoms, and they have another D-man as assistant coach. I'm sure they've been trying to teach Attard fundamentals - problem was he was a rover in college, which makes it hard to determine if his flaws were due to his usage (never taught) or innate (couldn't learn so used to accent his positives, i.e. his shot).

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Sounds like a bad environment for player evaluation, especially considering there aren't any roster spots open to being earned by merit anyway.

What an exercise in futility.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Think they have, head of player development was a D-man, who as an assistant coach with the Phantoms, and they have another D-man as assistant coach. I'm sure they've been trying to teach Attard fundamentals - problem was he was a rover in college, which makes it hard to determine if his flaws were due to his usage (never taught) or innate (couldn't learn so used to accent his positives, i.e. his shot).
I should have clarified. Someone with a track record. Not the guys who recently retired and got a job in the orginization. Part of it is maybe he just isn't good enough.

There is no cap on those type of things. For the Flyers to not have or try to have the best is inexcusable.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I doubt they keep Luchanko, both Laughton and Cates would have to show they simply can't play center. And their past history suggests they're adequate, but a team would be looking to upgrade.

The median 3rd line forward scored 23 ES points last year. 24 the previous season.
So Laughton and Cates are basically "average" 3C, Laughton will score a little more, Cates provides much better defense.

They'd have to project Luchanko as a 30 point rookie to take that chance. That would be widely optimistic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad