Rumor: Things Not Left Unsaid 3 - Flyers Rumors and Media Mentions: Never Ending Circles

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
They also had a good first half for the first time in ages, and they may have had a bump from Phillies disappointment, Eagles burnout, and Sixers fatigue. My guess is they will do well again to start, they’re keeping the bar low publicly, but I don’t know how much patience fans will have if they’re not in it to make the playoffs again.

I guess it depends on how much people accept Briere's messaging that the goal is not the playoffs, but a sustainable Stanley Cup contender.

Whether or not you believe the current GM and management can achieve that is a different story though.

Reactions: BernieParent

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
I do wonder how long they’ll go with the “New Era of Orange” shit.

They’re still using it this off-season after missing the playoffs. They go forward and miss the next couple of years, are they still going to use it? Just abandon it? When does it go too far?
The era is always new, we can never repeat eras. The cycle of life must continue.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I guess it depends on how much people accept Briere's messaging that the goal is not the playoffs, but a sustainable Stanley Cup contender.

Whether or not you believe the current GM and management can achieve that is a different story though.
They may say they’re buying in, but these people are naturally cultured to think they should be trying to win as soon as possible.

Reactions: flyersnorth

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
That might be the most optimistic thing I've ever seen, or I misread your sarcasm. Does anyone think these assclowns, who took a potential 2C ceiling guy at 13OA this year, over a potential 1D gift, are going to hit on three top line players in a draft in which they will probably be picking in the mid-teens for their own pick and well into the mid-late 20s/early 30s for the Avs and Oilers?

If they are smart enough to tank (spoiler alert: they aren't), maybe the first pick could be a '1" something.

It’s hard to imagine them holding on to all the picks. I don’t think trading them is a good idea unless it’s Edm + Col pick for another top 10. That should be the goal but as we have seen for years, not so easy.

So if you are keeping the picks you can hardly say you just got your 1D, 1C, 1LW. Can’t think there are many drafts that teams have gotten both a 1C and 1D in the same year. Maybe Dallas I think.

The value looks great for center according to Appleyard. Really makes you want to have picked Buium this past draft. The odds are very much against them.

Trading TK and Laughton to get worse and get two more 1sts goes a long long way to me.

I'm an eternal optimist

But yea, that was sarcasm. Both the idea they'd get all that in one draft, and the idea that it's as simple as trading a late first to get a player of that caliber.

Reactions: Larry44

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
JVR lives in Minnesota last time I checked. I’d think he’s looking at a Midwest team.

DAVIDE1333

Dec 22, 2019
Danny told everyone they weren't going to do much. I dont get the outrage. Some of these contracts are just dumb. Sure i think the Eric Johnson signing was dumb, but if they play him the Marc Staal route, it is what it is.

The Hathaway was not a surprise either.
If you're not going to do much, at least do something positive.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
ASF going on about how this year is their closest thing to being “a tank year”

The concept while cute, doesn’t really have the proof to cement it as fact.

Yes the same team is basically back from last season, but guys you could have removed to ensure a more favourable position come draft day - are still here.

San Jose, Chicago, Calgary, and Columbus are not teams the Flyers are going to be worse than - unless the goaltending truly falls apart.

So at best, you are likely going to be in a range with Montreal, Utah, Seattle, and Anaheim for spots 5-9 let’s say. As always, if you’re open to being bad. Why not fully commit to it, and get the payoff at the end.

Tarpongg

#fakerebuild
May 26, 2012

Yes the same team is basically back from last season, but guys you could have removed to ensure a more favourable position come draft day - are still here.

San Jose, Chicago, Calgary, and Columbus are not teams the Flyers are going to be worse than - unless the goaltending truly falls apart.

So at best, you are likely going to be in a range with Montreal, Utah, Seattle, and Anaheim for spots 5-9 let’s say. As always, if you’re open to being bad. Why not fully commit to it, and get the payoff at the end.

Precisely. Same team, with another year under their belt in the magical Torts system. I can’t tell with these Flyer media guys if it’s a Pravda media thing, or they’re really this stupid.

• Haha
Reactions: renberg and Larry44

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
I do wonder how long they’ll go with the “New Era of Orange” shit.

They’re still using it this off-season after missing the playoffs. They go forward and miss the next couple of years, are they still going to use it? Just abandon it? When does it go too far?
By 2026 it will be “new era of diarrhea”, which at least is kind of catchy

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA

Getting to a bottom 5 finish is the goal. I could actually see those teams having joy so terrible years. Just need a lot of lottery balls.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018

This team looks pretty bad on paper though.

We have 2 huge questions marks in goal. Our blueline is really bad or unknown, aside from York and Sanheim. We know Tortorella is gonna over play Ristolainen and Johnson. Forward wise, Tortorella is gonna over play his bottom-6 favourites (Cates, Laughton, Hathaway, Poehling, Deslauriers) and blame/bench his talented players (Couturier, Frost, Farabee, Michkov). The PP will be shit because nothing will change.

Knowing how Tortorella coaches, we have a very good shot at a top-5 pick. But knowing our luck, he'll grind them into just missing the playoffs again and we end up with the 13th pick.

Tarpongg

#fakerebuild
May 26, 2012

This was an interesting listen. Russ Joy is basically one of us- why is Laughton here, why wouldn’t you trade TK for assets if you’re truly rebuilding, drafting at the end of the lottery is costing the you elite talent, etc..

ASF- Briere is doing all the right things. You can’t just tear it down, if you don’t resign TK “it’s another ten years!”, if you could be in the room with these guys what they’re doing would make sense, they’re not just going to give Laughton away, blah blah blah..

Therrien couple nuggets - indicated he’s in the know and they like Hagans more than any player the last few years… also he had same agent as TK- they have a number they are sticking to- 8yrs at $8.5 is what he thinks it will be but they’re asking for more than that. “Other teams would be willing to pay…”

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
This was an interesting listen. Russ Joy is basically one of us- why is Laughton here, why wouldn’t you trade TK for assets if you’re truly rebuilding, drafting at the end of the lottery is costing the you elite talent, etc..

ASF- Briere is doing all the right things. You can’t just tear it down, if you don’t resign TK “it’s another ten years!”, if you could be in the room with these guys what they’re doing would make sense, they’re not just going to give Laughton away, blah blah blah..

Therrien couple nuggets - indicated he’s in the know and they like Hagans more than any player the last few years… also he had same agent as TK- they have a number they are sticking to- 8yrs at $8.5 is what he thinks it will be but they’re asking for more than that. “Other teams would be willing to pay…”
Good to see the morons that run the team think they can just throw a 11th overall pick, two end of the first round picks and a Scott Laughton to get him. They think it’s just that easy!

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
A random thought exercise:

How many assets in hockey are we sure are more difficult to trade for than Hagens right now? Bedard is a yes. I think I’m done.

We can at least conceive in which a way a current star asks out or the team decides to rebuild. Lining up a Hagens level prospect in his draft year with any possible reason to trade him seems impossible. Those teams aren’t trying to accelerate their timeline, so you’ve got to provide futures that are clearly better than the already existing best case scenario. And then that team would need the lottery luck to have it work out.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
What level is Hagans supposed to be at? I thought Michael Misa was supposed to be that guy this year.

Tarpongg

#fakerebuild
May 26, 2012
What level is Hagans supposed to be at? I thought Michael Misa was supposed to be that guy this year.

I haven’t looked too hard, but Hagens seems to be consensus #1

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad