Rumor: Things Not Left Unsaid 3 - Flyers Rumors and Media Mentions: Never Ending Circles

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
The other thing so frustrating about the size comments re: Buium is that Briere mentioned Emil Andrae when you just know they’re going to send Andrae back to LV precisely because they think the D is too small and soft.
Well, sure. But that's how you know they absolutely didn't need Buium. Besides, the guy's name just screams "Bum."

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
Which thread have we discussed the Cutter Gauthier conspiracy theory?

And if that explanation above didn't fit for you, there is a conspiracy theory out there among other scouts and it’s one I actually think has at least some merit.

Zeev Buium’s family advisors are from the KO Sports led by Kurt Overhardt. That is the same agency that represents Cutter Gauthier, who of course forced his way out of Philadelphia before ever playing a game for the Flyers after they took him fifth overall two years ago.
How Did Zeev Buium Fall To The Minnesota Wild At No. 12?

WolfOfBroadStreet14

Aug 15, 2020
We are in the same spot we were this time last year. We still have no 1C or 1D and no one with that potential. I like Jett but Buium had that potential. 2025 draft has multiple 1C prospects, if we have a rough year and some lottery luck, maybe we get one. However we still have an answer for 1D.

I think York is much better than Drysdale
He certainly is right now

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
York, at best, is a low end #2, high end #3.
Drysdale, if he can stay healthy, is pretty much the same with the added benefit of being able to play on a pp unit.

The Flyers have no one, on the roster or in the system that is even remotely close to being a 1D. But hey, let's not draft Buium. Zeev may never be more than a #2 but at least he has the potential to be a #1, but this moronic franchise thinks a guy whose ceiling is 2C is a better choice.

The Flyers organization is a dumpster fire.

Not only that, but they know next year is full of centers and Fla won without a for sure 1D. You can win with a few 2D and a 1C. I think this D with Buium and Bonk is good enough to win it imo if they have the high end talent up front.

Reactions: scumpup and BiggE

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
We are in the same spot we were this time last year. We still have no 1C or 1D and no one with that potential. I like Jett but Buium had that potential. 2025 draft has multiple 1C prospects, if we have a rough year and some lottery luck, maybe we get one. However we still have an answer for 1D.

He certainly is right now
And San Jose got 1C and 1D both in this one draft...

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Gotta hope Torts and Shaw can help Jamie.

I actually have a weird feeling they can get to him. I believe Jamie has been in Voorhees for most of the summer so far FWIW…

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
Not only that, but they know next year is full of centers and Fla won without a for sure 1D. You can win with a few 2D and a 1C. I think this D with Buium and Bonk is good enough to win it imo if they have the high end talent up front.
Not so sure about FLA's D. They had three guys over 22 mpg in the playoffs. Ekblad (1OA) and Forsling (waiver wire) did yeoman service shutting down McDavid better than anyone else could.

Florida's key was having three amazing pairs, with Montour and big Mikkola and Kulikov and Ekman-Larsson as the 3rd pair getting actual icetime.

That said, Buium gets us closer than Sanheim, York and Drysdale.

I look at the Flyers' roster during the SCF and say "how many of our players could crack the starting lineup of the Panthers or the Oilers?"

Sanheim could make the Oilers, maybe York. The Panthers? Yes, over Kulikov.
Konecny could make either team. A healthy Couts? For sure. Farabee? Tippett?

When you look at your own team compared to good teams, it's much clearer how very far the Flyers have to go.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I think York is much better than Drysdale

Drysdale has higher offensive upside from a raw skill standpoint. But York is a 2nd pair guy today; he's simply more effective. Drysdale has arguably been a negative in his career at both ends. What is he? He's a rover who leans passive. Something has to give in establishing where he wins. There is a plausible range of options where he can!

Now, people go overboard with York because of the weakness of the top end talent. He's not a future #1 (top pair also seems generous in talent and efficacy), he's not a PP difference maker. He's the player he's projected to be since he was 17. His likeliness to be this guy was the selling point. Unless you're Fletcher/Flahr who thought he was dynamic and went out of their way to close the door on offensive defensemen after York and Andrae. Only for Briere/Flahr to spend 5th overall value on a project. Only to close the door on the most skilled defenseman in the 2024 class because they have York and Andrae and Drysdale. Time = flat circle.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Not so sure about FLA's D. They had three guys over 22 mpg in the playoffs. Ekblad (1OA) and Forsling (waiver wire) did yeoman service shutting down McDavid better than anyone else could.

Florida's key was having three amazing pairs, with Montour and big Mikkola and Kulikov and Ekman-Larsson as the 3rd pair getting actual icetime.

That said, Buium gets us closer than Sanheim, York and Drysdale.

I look at the Flyers' roster during the SCF and say "how many of our players could crack the starting lineup of the Panthers or the Oilers?"

Sanheim could make the Oilers, maybe York. The Panthers? Yes, over Kulikov.
Konecny could make either team. A healthy Couts? For sure. Farabee? Tippett?

When you look at your own team compared to good teams, it's much clearer how very far the Flyers have to go.
I think I’d call Ekblad more of a 2D.

Reactions: Larry44

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Drysdale has higher offensive upside from a raw skill standpoint. But York is a 2nd pair guy today; he's simply more effective. Drysdale has arguably been a negative in his career at both ends. What is he? He's a rover who leans passive. Something has to give in establishing where he wins. There is a plausible range of options where he can!

Now, people go overboard with York because of the weakness of the top end talent. He's not a future #1 (top pair also seems generous in talent and efficacy), he's not a PP difference maker. He's the player he's projected to be since he was 17. His likeliness to be this guy was the selling point. Unless you're Fletcher/Flahr who thought he was dynamic and went out of their way to close the door on offensive defensemen after York and Andrae. Only for Briere/Flahr to spend 5th overall value on a project. Only to close the door on the most skilled defenseman in the 2024 class because they have York and Andrae and Drysdale. Time = flat circle.
I'd be optimistic about a D corps of:

Sanheim (as LD or RD) -- 1D
York -- Drysdale
Zamula -- Bonk
Andrae, Seeler

Just have to land the most difficult position in this scenario while being hampered by player agent, intangibles checkbox, and You Have to Be This Tall misbelief.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad