Rumor: Things Not Left Unsaid 3 - Flyers Rumors and Media Mentions: Never Ending Circles

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
He has a strong pedigree of a # 1, #2 D
1000003767.jpg

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
He has a lot of clients, including some current Flyers

For the record: the Flyers were heavily negotiating a contract with Walker after Gauthier was traded. Walker is an Overhardt client.

Drysdale was playing injured and was injured most of the previous season. He has a strong pedigree of a # 1, #2 D

Does he though? I say this as someone who gave him a total mulligan this year and can squint and see the raw skills. But he has a helluva lot to prove because he doesn't have that track record at any level other than draft status. He can negotiate his third contract next summer.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
For the record: the Flyers were heavily negotiating a contract with Walker after Gauthier was traded. Walker is an Overhardt client.

Does he though? I say this as someone who gave him a total mulligan this year and can squint and see the raw skills. But he has a helluva lot to prove because he doesn't have that track record at any level other than draft status. He can negotiate his third contract next summer.
As much as eyes will be on Michkov this year...to me the real story of this season is Drysdale...especially after passing on Buium.

He at the very least needs to be consistently good, with flashes of greatness that he can build on. Another inconstent and/or injury filled season and this thing starts to fall apart real quick.

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
I just don’t see it with Drysdale. I think it was a major mistake. He’s got tools but I think lacks assertiveness. Cant see him more than 2nd pair.
If Drysdale doesn't take a step up to true top pairing status this year, he's a bust. I'm worried because he has all kinds of hip/groin/shoulder problems. He took one solid hit and never recovered. I don't count on him for anything going forward. I see Sanheim and York as a second pair on a good team.

The Flyers still need 1D, 2D, 1C, 2C, 1LW and 1G to compete. That's 6 prime roles they should be trying to fill with elite prospects or young players. They passed on 1D to take 2C. What can they get next year?

Last edited:

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
If Drysdale doesn't take a step up to true top pairing status this year, he's a bust. I'm worried because he has all kinds of hip/groin/shoulder problems. He too one solid hit and never recovered. I don't count on him for anything going forward. I see Sanheim and York as a second pair on a good team.

The Flyers still need 1D, 2D, 1C, 2C, 1LW and 1G to compete. That's 6 prime roles they should be trying to fill with elite prospects or young players. They passed on 1D to take 2C. What can they get next year?
Well, they have 3 1st round picks next year. So cross off 1C, 1D, and 1LW off your list. If they don't draft them, they can just use the picks to trade for them.

They need to load up on 1st rounders for 2026 though. I've heard it's deep at G.

Reactions: Larry44

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
Well, they have 3 1st round picks next year. So cross off 1C, 1D, and 1LW off your list. If they don't draft them, they can just use the picks to trade for them.

They need to load up on 1st rounders for 2026 though. I've heard it's deep at G.
after the ass-grabbing incident..i am not sure I want Deep and G used in the same sentence ever again

Reactions: Chicken N Raffls

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

Most similar 5 CHL Dmen off draft year profile?

Morgan Rielly
Julius Honka
Luca Cagnoni
Kevin Korchinski
Michael Del Zotto

Not a "bad" list... but not a "very likely to be a top pairing Dman" profile even at the time.

Bouchard, Dobson, Byram, Mateychuk, Zellweger, Mintyukov

are all similar "offensive" guys drafted in the last six years who had profiles that were better.

This year Parekh had a profile that was miles better. Dickinson, Mews and Yakemchuk had similar profiles to Drysdale... and tbh if ignoring who I think is more "skilled" of the four Drysdale's profile was marginally worse than those three.

Even at his value "Peak" in his draft year the most likely outcome for Drysdale was a good 2nd pairing defenseman.

Now, I do think there is probably a #2-3 in there if everything goes great. But a #1? Hard to see at this point given trajectory.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I really dont think people realise how "young" NHL defensemen actually develop.

~40% of guys who end up as 1D? Get there by age 22. (Drysdale is 22)
~70% of guys who end up as 1D? Get there by age 23. (York is 23)
~85% of guys who end up as 1D? Get there by age 24.
~90% of guys who end up as 1D? Get there by age 25.
~95% of guys who end up as 1D? Get there by age 26.

York or Drysdale ending up as legit 1Ds? The odds are really not very good tbh.

I mean, if we are honest with ourselves Sanheim was at a similar level or better than both at the same age...

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019

I mean, if we are honest with ourselves Sanheim was at a similar level or better than both at the same age...

How do you define 1D?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
How do you define 1D?

I mean, a bit fluid.

But basically getting Norris votes, with either ~40+ points and 23 minutes a night or close.

The list of Dmen I looked at for that is pretty much guys who have been there as a top ~10-15 Dman in the league for a few seasons over last ~10 years or so:

20: Doughty, Hughes, Heiskanen
21: Karlsson, Makar, Dahlin, OEL
22: Pietrangelo, Fox, McAvoy, Slavin, Dobson
23: Hedman, Letang, Josi, Subban, Hamilton, Rielly, Weber, Klingberg
24: Keith, Carlson, Theodore, Pesce, Suter
25: Burns
26: Morrissey, Spurgeon, Toews, Dunn
30: Giordano

some debateable... Burns had a 1D "season" at age 22 but then did not really consistently do that until mid-20s... then moved to fwd after having multiple 1D type seasons!

And Gio was probably the same player at 26-27 as he was at 30. Just got more minutes and recognition later.

But generally? Yeh... guys are not becoming 1Ds after their mid-20s.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA

It’s hard to imagine them holding on to all the picks. I don’t think trading them is a good idea unless it’s Edm + Col pick for another top 10. That should be the goal but as we have seen for years, not so easy.

So if you are keeping the picks you can hardly say you just got your 1D, 1C, 1LW. Can’t think there are many drafts that teams have gotten both a 1C and 1D in the same year. Maybe Dallas I think.

The value looks great for center according to Appleyard. Really makes you want to have picked Buium this past draft. The odds are very much against them.

Trading TK and Laughton to get worse and get two more 1sts goes a long long way to me.

Larry44

Mar 1, 2002

That might be the most optimistic thing I've ever seen, or I misread your sarcasm. Does anyone think these assclowns, who took a potential 2C ceiling guy at 13OA this year, over a potential 1D gift, are going to hit on three top line players in a draft in which they will probably be picking in the mid-teens for their own pick and well into the mid-late 20s/early 30s for the Avs and Oilers?

If they are smart enough to tank (spoiler alert: they aren't), maybe the first pick could be a '1" something.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
It’s hard to imagine them holding on to all the picks. I don’t think trading them is a good idea unless it’s Edm + Col pick for another top 10. That should be the goal but as we have seen for years, not so easy.

So if you are keeping the picks you can hardly say you just got your 1D, 1C, 1LW. Can’t think there are many drafts that teams have gotten both a 1C and 1D in the same year. Maybe Dallas I think.

The value looks great for center according to Appleyard. Really makes you want to have picked Buium this past draft. The odds are very much against them.

Trading TK and Laughton to get worse and get two more 1sts goes a long long way to me.
That will be key. If they can have six first round picks between 2025 and 2026 whether it is three and three or some other division and just hit on half of them we're in good shape. Obviously you want to hit on all of them but if you come away with three good players in the first round of back to back drafts you're probably pretty set.

The goal needs to be #1 overall this year. I read something saying this draft could be close to 2015 and 2003 in terms of centers. Not saying there is a McDavid out there just there are a lot of really good centers to choose from.

Larry44

Mar 1, 2002

Doing that will be evidence that a plan exists. We'll see.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Given that we just signed Hathaway already and many teams have resigned players, I am hopeful TK will be traded. It’s odd to me that Danny has said from the beginning they won’t negotiate through the media.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL

York, at best, is a low end #2, high end #3.
Drysdale, if he can stay healthy, is pretty much the same with the added benefit of being able to play on a pp unit.

The Flyers have no one, on the roster or in the system that is even remotely close to being a 1D. But hey, let's not draft Buium. Zeev may never be more than a #2 but at least he has the potential to be a #1, but this moronic franchise thinks a guy whose ceiling is 2C is a better choice.

The Flyers organization is a dumpster fire.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad