Rumor: Things Not Left Unsaid 3 - Flyers Rumors and Media Mentions: Never Ending Circles

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
As annoying as Charlie & Meltzer can get with toeing the line I don’t think they’re bad guys. Kevin Kurz not only toes the line but also just sucks as a person. That guy is easily the worst of the bunch he’s just relatively new. That guy toes the line & then tells you they’re in the NHL while you’re not so stop criticizing them.
They are in different circumstances. Bill Meltzer is a friend of mine since the late 90s. He works directly for the Flyers, runs the Alumni team communications too, as well as his Hockeybuzz work.

He told me that the Flyers have never told him what to write or what opinions to have. He is free to express his opinions and disagree with the team's approach in his opinion columns, but he realizes there are limits to how far he can push it on formal website corporate content. Look at the mock draft he did. Had Buium very low and Jett at 20.

I don't ask him to reveal any team secrets, but he does get inside info by verge of being literally an insider.

Charlie and the other paid online journos or podcasters are only bound by what limits they put on themselves, at the risk of offending their followers/listeners/readers. They only risk their access to the team if they turn into jackasses like Sielski.

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
But how the hell do we get under the cap if we do, since we're damn near capped out with Ellis on LTIR anyway? (I'll grant I may be misunderstanding our cap situation a bit, but I think we don't hit that window otherwise.)

My offer would be along the lines of Risto and RyJo, if they don't want to add value to Trouba to move him, or Risto and Laughton, if they're willing to attach either their #1 or a very good prospect. The first requires them to take on a little more money, but RyJo can go on LTIR for them, we're paying less now, a bit more next year, and save all of what would have been Risto's money in the final year. With Laughton, the money is essentially even for two years, we get another #1 or a big prospect, everyone wins.

They have over 8 million in space when Ellis goes on LTIR with just Brink and Zamula to sign. Risto and Johansen back to the Rangers makes zero sense, because the whole reason they want to move him is for cap space.

LegionOfGloom

Jun 9, 2021
They have over 8 million in space when Ellis goes on LTIR with just Brink and Zamula to sign. Risto and Johansen back to the Rangers makes zero sense, because the whole reason they want to move him is for cap space.
If Johansen is actually injured, the Rags can put him on LTIR and save the space.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
They're probably going to try to get/stay under without using LTIR to start the year. It gives you more optionality in how you utilize your LTIR moneys.

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

We still have to be under the cap day 1, and if we're only sending them Ellis, then Trouba eats every penny before we sign Brink and Zamula. They have to move either more money than that, or money that is a more permanent part of the roster, no?

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
You seem to be missing the point. In this scenario, the Rangers would be sending assets to the Flyers so they can create the cap space.

No. I most certainly do get that, but I want the best return of assets possible. If you start piling on the junk from the Flyers end, the Rangers will undoubtedly be sending less with Trouba.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Listening to Seravalli’s podcast even he’s incredulous with how the market how swung this offseason on big defensemen. He said it feels like they took a time machine back to 2011.

He said when he got the Edmundson contract details he had to double check with the source before he hit send on twitter because he couldn’t believe it. :laugh:

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Currently the Flyers have $17,846,428 in cap going to players who won't play for them this season

Atkinson
Deangelo
Ellis
Hayes
Johansen

There's also Petersen who will count for $3,850,000 if he stays in the AHL all season, more if he plays some NHL games like he did last season.

Sooo this is less than $20M. Ergo its a win. Good job Danny

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
“I was so wrong about Philly. That team plays HARD.”

I liked when they started to take that annoying commercial out of the rotation when the team plunged in the second half. :laugh:

If only they had the guts to replace the line with “I was, again, wrong about Philly. Watching that team play is HARD.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad