Rumor: Things Not Left Unsaid 2, More Flyers Rumors & Media Mentions: Say It Like You Mean It

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
The Flyers need to take a home run swing and be creative in their approach to rebuilding. my suggestion:

approach Carolina and offer Ristolainen for a cap dump,
Kkaotniemi. neither side will retain any salaries. Carolina dumps 28M in salaries plus 6 years of a contract and picks up $15M and 3 years of his contract for a net savings of $13M in salaries and 3 contract years.

Carolina, which could lose 3 UFA defensemen, picks up an experienced blueliner. The Hurricanes are a playoff team and at the trade deadline, those teams are always looking for a physical right-handed. Carolina gets their need early.

This is a win-win for them.

The Flyers get a young talented player in Kkaotniemi. there are no cap consequences in the first two years since his salary match with Ristolainen. if Jasper turns out to be a top-six player, the Flyers have him on a below-average contract. if he turns out to be a bust after 2 years, the Flyers can buy him out. Because of his age, the buyout is only 33% or $6.8 M, a similar amount to Risto's contract in his final year. (I understand there are some accounting differences on the buy out)

this is an ideal situation for the Flyers
they lose the Risto contract.
they take a homerun swing on a young talented player.
if they are wrong, they can correct the situation with no complication so their salary cap
I'd be in favour if it were Ristolainen going the other way, but I highly doubt Carolina would entertain this move.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
The Flyers need to take a home run swing and be creative in their approach to rebuilding. my suggestion:

Kkaotniemi. neither side will retain any salaries. Carolina dumps 28M in salaries plus 6 years of a contract and picks up $15M and 3 years of his contract for a net savings of $13M in salaries and 3 contract years.

Carolina, which could lose 3 UFA defensemen, picks up an experienced blueliner. The Hurricanes are a playoff team and at the trade deadline, those teams are always looking for a physical right-handed. Carolina gets their need early.

The Flyers get a young talented player in Kkaotniemi. there are no cap consequences in the first two years since his salary match with Ristolainen. if Jasper turns out to be a top-six player, the Flyers have him on a below-average contract. if he turns out to be a bust after 2 years, the Flyers can buy him out. Because of his age, the buyout is only 33% or $6.8 M, a similar amount to Risto's contract in his final year. (I understand there are some accounting differences on the buy out)

if they are wrong, they can correct the situation with no complication so their salary cap
no ones trading for Risto...

dude is a plug

Reactions: Larry44 and Nizzle

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Carolina doesn’t see KK with that low of value I don’t think.

Reactions: Larry44 and renberg

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Carolina is way too smart to want Risto. They have no use for him

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Carolina is way too smart to want Risto. They have no use for him
Then again they took on and used TDA. Somewhere in Risto is a decent NHL player. So far no one, including himself, has been able to bring that out. A different organization with a different scheme along with a different attitude on his part and it may finally click. Some other organization might be see that and be willing to take a chance.
The Kotkaniemi for Risto swap makes some sense. The Canes aren’t exactly in love with his performance there. They expected more out of him when they signed him.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Rumor is that Minnesota wants to get bigger and Rossi may available. What kind of return could they be looking for from us?

He's not actually bigger, but I'm pretty sure Konecny's the only piece we have that a) we'd be willing to offer and b) would be of enough interest to Minnesota to get some traction in talks. I'd love to see Konecny + Laughton for Rossi, their #1, and some cap pieces as a base.

Reactions: TheKingPin

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
DeAngelo is better than Risto

Barely. He stinks.

Carolina took on DeAngelo when he cost them little to nothing & traded him when he would have cost them something more considerable then brought him back again when he cost little to nothing again. I wouldn’t really compare that to taking Ristolainen & his contract.

Not comparing..just saying they arent anti-shitty defensemen. Hell, Risto was probably better in 23-24.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Barely. He stinks.

Not comparing..just saying they arent anti-shitty defensemen. Hell, Risto was probably better in 23-24.

But he didn’t really cost them much though. Ristolainen is a good bit of contract investment.

I’m not saying Carolina doesn’t have bad players ever but usually their bad players are paid accordingly so.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
He's not actually bigger, but I'm pretty sure Konecny's the only piece we have that a) we'd be willing to offer and b) would be of enough interest to Minnesota to get some traction in talks. I'd love to see Konecny + Laughton for Rossi, their #1, and some cap pieces as a base.

That would be amazing. You know some good pieces will fall to us and the next spot in this draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad