Rumor: Things Not Left Unsaid 2, More Flyers Rumors & Media Mentions: Say It Like You Mean It

Kermit the Prog

Threadkiller
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Greenville, DE
I have come to the conclusion that all Flyers "media" people are congruent to Jeff McLame and his "reporting" on the Eagles. I stopped reading his drivel long ago, even when starved for Eagles news. He was the master of hypotheticals who could not resist ending his dreck with "it remains to be seen." Oh, great job there - posit something and then step out of the seat of accountability by throwing it the winds to settle for you.

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
Torts has nothing to do with the value being down. There's lots of things to complain about with this organization, but Torts hurting Coots trade value is not one of them. He signed a massive contract and then had a massive injury. Those two things tanked his value. He was NEVER getting traded this year and really only would have been tradeable if he basically lit it up. Even then though if he scored at PPG this year and won the Selke, what team is going to trade anything of value for an over 30 player with a bad injury history making over $7 million for a thousand years? The answer to that is none. Even at 50% retained with a PPG season and another Selke I don't think he'd garner much because of the length, age, and injury history.

I already said the contract and injury made him immovable, but Torts did tank whatever minuscule value he might have had, by grinding him into dust the first half of the season, then playing his stupid shitty mind games the second half. Maybe a 31-year-old coming back from major back surgery shouldn’t be playing 20 minutes a night straight away.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I already said the contract and injury made him immovable, but Torts did tank whatever minuscule value he might have had, by grinding him into dust the first half of the season, then playing his stupid shitty mind games the second half. Maybe a 31-year-old coming back from major back surgery shouldn’t be playing 20 minutes a night straight away.
That's a different story but has nothing to do with his value. Now, I am typically of the opinion that if a doctor says you can play 20 minutes and you feel well enough to play 20 minutes, then there's no reason not to play 20 minutes. Obviously, idk what the docs were saying or how Coots was feeling, but at the end of the day regardless of what happens between the time he came back and basically 2027-ish no one is going to trade for Coots in a way that would make anyone in Philadelphia happy. We'd be retaining 50% and likely not getting much. That is true regardless of Torts or any other coach.

The contract I don't think is bad in terms of him being here, and it was likely necessary to keep him here, but from a standpoint of being able to move it it was awful. That's a risk you take with any long-term contract and it is different when you are signing the contract compared to trading for the contract. I think we'd all agree signing a contract like this is easier to swallow than giving up assets for a contract like this. He may want out, I don't doubt that, but I don't think he's going anywhere because no one is touching that contract without us probably having to trade a first for someone to take it and retain likely 50%. He's stuck here for at least a couple more years for better or worse.

dgaspari

Feb 13, 2008
his contract is movable under the right circumstances. the way his contract is structured, a team that is under the cap floor could trade for him to meet the cap floor

if the Flyers trade him now and retain $2 M, a team below the cap floor could get Couturier for 6yrs for a total of $4M for 6 years left on the contract and solve their below-the-floor cap problem.
this is how the Flyers moved Pronger's contract.

Last edited:

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
That's a different story but has nothing to do with his value. Now, I am typically of the opinion that if a doctor says you can play 20 minutes and you feel well enough to play 20 minutes, then there's no reason not to play 20 minutes.
At some point the management of the team has to step in and take an honest long term look at a player's health and make the wise decisions for them. CIP- T. J. Oshie situation cited here:
Most of these guys, RyJo types excluded, will do anything to get out on the ice and play including lying about their real condition. It's part of the hockey warrior mystique. Still the PTB need to intervene and not allow the player or coach to misuse a player the way Couturier was this season. The same may be true of Farabee as well.
It just makes sense to closely monitor the health of all players especially those coming off of serious injuries and not allow such players to push their envelope too far. The same goes for coaches. They just want to win every night. Would thy overplay a recovering player? We've seen that they would time and time again.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Jeff Marek asked Elliotte if Couturier made the agent change because he wants a change, and the answer was ‘potentially.’

Pat Brisson got Jack Eichel what he wanted. Basically a preemptive strike in case a decision is made later that it can’t work. Brisson is a ‘facilitator.’ The relationship between player and organization was believed to have gotten “white hot intense” and neither side wants that. They want to see if the overall situation can be managed differently.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
There's changing agents and then there's changing to Pat Brisson. It could just be a warning shot, I have no idea. But it's not nothing.

Kevin Kurz was trying to pour cold water on it yesterday but it’s like what else are the Flyers or Couturier’s camp supposed to say right now? It probably behooves both parties to down play it right now since the offseason doesn’t really ramp up until the end of June.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Jeff Marek asked Elliotte if Couturier made the agent change because he wants a change, and the answer was ‘potentially.’

Pat Brisson got Jack Eichel what he wanted. Basically a preemptive strike in case a decision is made later that it can’t work. Brisson is a ‘facilitator.’ The relationship between player and organization was believed to have gotten “white hot intense” and neither side wants that. They want to see if the overall situation can be managed differently.

Came here to post this - awesome stuff GKJ!

Also here's to hoping Coots gets more respect and plays better next year, I think everyone wants him to remain a Flyer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad