There's so much cap space

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
Am I wrong, or is there an exorbitant amount of cap space available leaguewide? It looks like the majority of teams aren't projected to approach the cap ceiling, which is unusual compared to past years.

What's the deal?

Last edited:

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Teams have restricted free agent to sign so that will take up a component of Their cap space

Reactions: Morrison

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
According to cap friendly there are 12 teams with ~10 million in cap space or less and 17 teams with 13.1 million or less. So I don’t think you’re right.
Many of those teams have no significant RFAs to sign and their rosters are pretty much filled. There is significantly more cap space available than after July 1 last year.

Reactions: uncleben

Pinball Wizard

Nov 22, 2017
No offense norm but this thread is terrible. At least do some research on the subject and compare to other years.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I would imagine the Jets spending $40-50 Million on future contracts come 2019-20. Laine, Connor, Wheeler, Copp, Morrissey, Trouba, Hellebuyck, maybe even Roslovic and Vesalainen. But I expect one of Ehlers/Connor/Roslovic to be traded if Wheeler doesn't stay with the Jets.

But in the expansion draft, I expect the Jets trading away Lowry, Comrie and future draft picks (pretend 2nd 2020, 3rd 2020 and 6th 2021) to Seattle in order for them to take Little, which the Jets get him to waive. That would leave the Jets with cap room going forward.

But for now, we might have to find a way to get rid of Perreault and Myers' contracts after one of the following were to sign an extension, maybe even Kulikov too.

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen
I think, we'll end up with most teams near the ceiling as always, but I do get what you mean. Feels like the first off-season in years, where there aren't Chicago plus two or three more teams in desperate need of unloading cap. As to what happened, the cap finally went up more than 1 or 2 mill at once.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Well the cap just went up by 4.5M, that’s almost as much as it did in the last 3 seasons combined.

On top of that pretty much all good players are gone in FA. Only a couple names left. Overall it wasn’t the strongest group of players after couple big names.

Not exactly rocket science. Supply didn’t meet the demand this summer.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
We got a few players we can give the teams needing cap to fill. How does Ryan Callahan, Alex Killorn and Brayden Coburn sound? Tyler Johnson too. Only Killorn and Johnson signed long term but are both good players with playoff success. Callahan is a workhorse during the playoffs too. Anybody? Anybody? Bueller??

tony d

New poll series coming from me in June
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
As was said the cap went up but still lots of restricted free agents for teams to re-sign. I think as the season draws closer you'll see the cap space become not so much.

member 157595

I'm happy Montréal is keeping its cap space real fresh for Jack Hughes

That's exactly what they should be doing, if that is indeed the plan (assuming Purple Pants is capable of a plan.)

member 298589

That's exactly what they should be doing, if that is indeed the plan (assuming Purple Pants is capable of a plan.)
Montreal is trying to compete, not rebuild. You don't sign Price to that contract, trade for Weber, etc. x 5 if you are trying to rebuild. Management even said they expect to be better this year. Their plan is the playoffs but they are so awful at everything that it almost looks like a rebuild attempt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad