Post-Game Talk: There was a game tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
The PP has legitimately become an embarassment. Happy to just get a point the way the PP looked but Howard was excellent. His play on the wrap around was poor but he is one of the biggest reasons we got a point at all.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
We STILL had the lead after that goal was disallowed. You have to be mentally tougher than that.

I agree.

I guess I worded my post wrong.

That moment was crucial mentally, and I felt like we sort of gave up.

We faltered and Montreal took advantage imo.

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
I would say after 6 games so far

Positives: great record for the competition we have played. Boston (x2), Toronto(x2), anahiem and Montreal, 4 of the 6 games are 1/2 east teams last year, and well let's face it, we got robbed against anahiem of a point and another in Montreal, so we cos easily be 4-0-2 and top the east. We have only had datsyuk back one game, assisted our first goal and "scored" our 2nd tonight... The only NHL fans that would say that isn't a goal is Montreal fans and half of Chicago, but our defense, PK and goaltending has been giving us a chance to win everynoght against the elite.

Negative: easy one, Powerplay... Needs to be figured out but when we are finally healthey and running Z, D, Goose, Franzen, and Kronwall I think we will start clocking a lot more

Suzuki x 14

GoHabsGo
Mar 14, 2006
Montreal
I have no idea how a penalty shot was not called when the puck was gloved IN THE CREASE. Per NHL rules
No defending player, except the goalkeeper, will be permitted to fall on the puck, hold the puck, pick up the puck, or gather the puck into the body or hands when the puck is within the goal crease. For infringement of this rule, play shall immediately be stopped and a penalty shot shall be ordered against the offending team, but no other penalty shall be given. The rule shall be interpreted so that a penalty shot will be awarded only when the puck is in the crease at the instant the offense occurs. However, in cases where the puck is outside the crease, Rule 63 may still apply and a minor penalty may be imposed, even though no penalty shot is awarded. The significant factor when determining whether or not a penalty shot is warranted is the location of the puck at the time it was held, grabbed or gathered into the body. If the puck is in the crease, penalty shot. If the puck is outside the crease and gathered into the body of a player (other than the goalkeeper) who is inside the crease, minor penalty)"

As a Habs fan I agree with you 100% ... I was trying to figure it out myself as to why it wasn't called one.

As for the Wings, your team defence is sick, very frustrating to play against, no doubt in my mind come April, wings will be there

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Haven't seen an game officiated so bad since the Wings/Ducks game.

Wings should have 2 points and a Howard with the Shut-out. The no-goal changed the landscape of the game.

As a Habs fan I agree with you 100% ... I was trying to figure it out myself as to why it wasn't called one.

As for the Wings, your team defence is sick, very frustrating to play against, no doubt in my mind come April, wings will be there

That is all Mike Babcock. He can make a **** defense look good.

We STILL had the lead after that goal was disallowed. You have to be mentally tougher than that.

That's why Holland doesn't want to throw in 4 or 5 rookies in the grind every season. Jurco should be sent down and Weiss dressed for some 3rd line leadership. Jurco line looked lost.

Last edited by a moderator:

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
Goalie interference call resulted in a disallowed highlight reel Datsyuk goal. Blatant mistake, Price initiates the contact with Abdelkader who is outside of the crease. Montreal always seems to get these calls on home ice.

That is Price's stock in trade. I can think of at least twice he's done that in the playoffs.

If you know he does that, you have to be smarter and not put yourself in the position to allow him to do it.

cice963

May 2, 2009

The judgment goaile interference calls are going to happen, because of how the rule is written. Disregarding the rulebook that should never happen at the pro level, and I'm really surprised no one has said anything about it. Missing the call is understable but seeing the call, and not applying the right rule is not.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
In the bigger picture the PP cost us the game. If you score 2 or 3 you can outlive the questionable calls, and they happen on almost a nightly basis. That HAS to change because our PK will not stay perfect for long.

Ericsson needs to switch to the left side even if it's means getting away from Kronwall, he can't backhand the puck(whether it's the finger or not) and it's not working for him.

We're still having a strong start to the season. If the boys can keep up this work ethic and team mentality the wins will keep coming.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
saw the highlight

looks like it was a close game. guess our D held up well at least.

waived off goal is total BS btw.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
Slept on it...close call, GI should be reviewable. I'm expecting us to be gifted a few points here or there, so whatever. Important things:

1) We look good, especially the defense/goaltending

2) We need to score more goals. A lot more. Soon.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Zetterberg has literally been our entire offense for 3 straight games. That needs to change soon.

RedWingsForPresident

Nov 20, 2012
Indiana
I think we shouldn't freak out about offense until Detroit is giving up 4-5 a game and only scoring 1-2 a game. I'd rather have these low scoring games, it sets teams up for the playoffs

RedWingsForPresident

Nov 20, 2012
Indiana
That is Price's stock in trade. I can think of at least twice he's done that in the playoffs.

If you know he does that, you have to be smarter and not put yourself in the position to allow him to do it.

^^^ This. If it was anyone other than Abdelkader, I'd probably be pissed. Abdelkader is always taking a dumb penalty or something along these lines (I do not hate Abdelkader FYI)

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Can't go on forever that our quality chances don't go in. Let's hope for a more efficient offense against the pens. Otherwise it's gonna be a though game.
The Habs got just one PP the other night, unlikely to be the same thursday. Not to say that the Pens scored in almost 50 % of their PP time so far.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
In the bigger picture the PP cost us the game. If you score 2 or 3 you can outlive the questionable calls, and they happen on almost a nightly basis. That HAS to change because our PK will not stay perfect for long.

Ericsson needs to switch to the left side even if it's means getting away from Kronwall, he can't backhand the puck(whether it's the finger or not) and it's not working for him.

We're still having a strong start to the season. If the boys can keep up this work ethic and team mentality the wins will keep coming.

Good point Joe, in regards to Ericsson. That could be the cause of the issue.

But we're loaded on the left side. Would you do Kronwall LD1, Dekeyser LD2, Ericsson LD3???

Smith should be top pair RD IMO. Who else can play the right side decently well?

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Stars are Howard, Zeterberg, and Datsyuk

Some of my opinions that I know won't be popular on this board:

-Jurco needs to be the one sent down (assuming a time ever comes where we're healthy enough). I just don't see him offering anything at this point in his career.

-Smith should not be on the PP. He very rarely makes good plays with the puck, and I consider it a win any time he doesn't make a bad play with it. I like the idea of him on the PK with his defensive play improving and just needing to shoot the puck down the ice when he gets it.

-Kindl has looked good this season. I am happy with him as our #6 defenseman and I'm not jumping to ship him off in a trade or have one of the kids play instead of him

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Briefly glanced over player bashing posts, but I had two in particular.

Ericsson is 2010 bad right now, what the hell happened? He stands around watching the play so much.

I might get more flak for this one, but Tatar has quickly soured to me. Cocky player, refuses to pass to anyone, tries too hard to stick handle around more defenders than he can handle. I think last season has gotten to his head where he made the highlight reel a handful of times, and now it's become a quest to boast his own resume' out there. It's not like he has anything to show for it this season either.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Good two periods turns into the team playing prevent for the 3rd and ultimately losing. It's a Babcock staple.

Team has no offensive structure. Babcock must spend so much time teaching defensive positioning, gap assignments, etc that there literally is no time left to practice honing the offense. Lots of poor execution, there are no set plays....still just do the same thing every time...cycle the puck around, get it back to the point, pointman takes some terrible shot that usually doesn't even get to the net, other team regains possession, rinse and repeat. There is zero creativity.

The PP is a nutshell of it all, content with just taking low percentage shots from the point. They never try and force the play down low at the side of the net, lots of standing around, rarely someone sneaks into a soft spot for a quick shot....and when someone does there is hesitation on the part of the puck carrier to make an aggressive, cross ice pass. Everything is passive, out on the perimeter. Really frustrating to watch.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Stars are Howard, Zeterberg, and Datsyuk

Some of my opinions that I know won't be popular on this board:

-Jurco needs to be the one sent down (assuming a time ever comes where we're healthy enough). I just don't see him offering anything at this point in his career.

-Smith should not be on the PP. He very rarely makes good plays with the puck, and I consider it a win any time he doesn't make a bad play with it. I like the idea of him on the PK with his defensive play improving and just needing to shoot the puck down the ice when he gets it.

-Kindl has looked good this season. I am happy with him as our #6 defenseman and I'm not jumping to ship him off in a trade or have one of the kids play instead of him

Disagree on Smith. He has not turned the puck over much this year. He's been solid.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Smith is probably the most confusing situation in my opinion.

At least with Cleary you understood his past was getting in the way of Holland's good judgement. At least with Quincey you understood Holland panicked and wanted to sign a defenseman who might be top-4.

I don't understand the rationale behind Smith not getting any powerplay time. There is no reason for it, logical or illogical.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I gotta say, I am really impressed with Howard so far. Didn't expect this from him at all. If he can play like this in the playoffs, we got a real shot to go far.

Aug 6, 2012
Briefly glanced over player bashing posts, but I had two in particular.

Ericsson is 2010 bad right now, what the hell happened? He stands around watching the play so much.

I might get more flak for this one, but Tatar has quickly soured to me. Cocky player, refuses to pass to anyone, tries too hard to stick handle around more defenders than he can handle. I think last season has gotten to his head where he made the highlight reel a handful of times, and now it's become a quest to boast his own resume' out there. It's not like he has anything to show for it this season either.

That's just how Tatar plays the game. He had stretches last year where people were saying the same thing, then he scores a few goals and everyone is happy. There are times when he gets too fancy but in my opinion you're really overblowing it.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Smith is probably the most confusing situation in my opinion.

At least with Cleary you understood his past was getting in the way of Holland's good judgement. At least with Quincey you understood Holland panicked and wanted to sign a defenseman who might be top-4.

I don't understand the rationale behind Smith not getting any powerplay time. There is no reason for it, logical or illogical.

Especially after Babcock alluded to Smith getting PP time in training camp :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad