TV: The West Wing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
ya she won 2 more emmies on that sitcom called Mom. dont think shes *****ing to much about it.

she and rob lowe are basically the only 2 that had success post West Wing.

edit: forgot about Dule hill in Psych

Martin Sheen basically does whatever he wants though.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
Martin Sheen basically does whatever he wants though.
Which lately has been Grace and Frankie on Netflix, for those who don't know or don't care to IMDB him. Not a bad show, although its premise is running out of steam now that it's in its third season.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Which lately has been Grace and Frankie on Netflix, for those who don't know or don't care to IMDB him. Not a bad show, although its premise is running out of steam now that it's in its third season.

I'm sure he's still having fun with it, which is probably mostly what he cares about. He also had a couple of uncredited spots, notably in Selma.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
On Sheen-the one thing that cracks me up is that he was only supposed to appear in something like 10 of the first 24 episodes

they shot the pilot and waited nearly a full year to air it. In between the pilot being shot and aired--Sheen liked the role and agree to more or less to appear in all episodes.

The show was supposed to be about the staff and not POTUS. The show ended up being a lot different then it was supposed to be

It was supposed to be Rob Lowe's show--but the show turned organic and things grew(I think that is why so many people still like the show) and Rob Lowe, who was the second highest paid actor on the show behind Sheen got squeezed. The most famous example of how the show and cast bonded is when after season 2--Whitford, Shiff, Janney and Spencer all held out for more money--Lowe was happy with his contract. Sheen also missed the first table read in support of the West Wing four. Lowe showed up. Many who followed the show felt that was the begining of the end for Lowe on the show. The Josh and Donna thing obviously took over the "romantic thing" and that is one reason the Lowe dating Spencers daughter on the show was just forgotten about--that was supposed to be the love story of the show. Not Josh and Donna

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Well, really it was supposed to be Josh and Mandy as the main romantic relationship.

NBC is also responsible for it waiting a year to air. They didn't think anyone would want to watch. It's interesting to think about how things might have been different, because airing a year earlier probably means the show starts much earlier in the first term.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Well, really it was supposed to be Josh and Mandy as the main romantic relationship.

NBC is also responsible for it waiting a year to air. They didn't think anyone would want to watch. It's interesting to think about how things might have been different, because airing a year earlier probably means the show starts much earlier in the first term.

I still find it funny that Donna was supposed to be a very small part. But she and Janney were somewhat friends and she clicked with the cast. She is the main reason a lot of season 1 was rewritten with she playing the foil to Lymon and not Mandy. One of the podcasts they did last year it was explained that Moira Kelly was either late or missed a plane--and Janel Moloney(donna moss) read the bits and it was obvious to everyone at the table the two had what Schiff called a Bogart/Bacall banter..when Kelly showed up later in the day and read the same thing Janel Moloney it left everyone realizing that Moss/Lymon was going to be a thing.

Originally, according to the podcast, Sorkin was going to have a love triangle between Josh/Mandy/Seaborn but when Sheen came on full time that idea was scuttled. Joshua Malina has now taken over the podcast of TWW and some of the stuff they talk about is very interesting giving insight into the actual politics behind the show. Like the story of how Madaleine Albright was woken up at around midnight due to a late outdoor shoot--she came out yelled at the crew and that lead to Anna Deavere Smith being cast as Nancy McNally. She starting showing up and asking why there is not more secretary of state plots and stuff

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Yeah Donna's my favourite, I had a crush on her by the end of season 1. Margaret was probably character with the funniest scenes but Donna was adorable and very dynamic, her chemistry was with everyone not just Josh. Her and Charlie....they were a delight.

Abby Bartlett was the only one I couldn't stand, I know people hate on Mandy but Mandy was fine minus a couple scenes. Abby on the other hand came off as petty, antagonistic, and the actress seemed like she should be on a soap-opera.

Last edited:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I still find it funny that Donna was supposed to be a very small part. But she and Janney were somewhat friends and she clicked with the cast. She is the main reason a lot of season 1 was rewritten with she playing the foil to Lymon and not Mandy. One of the podcasts they did last year it was explained that Moira Kelly was either late or missed a plane--and Janel Moloney(donna moss) read the bits and it was obvious to everyone at the table the two had what Schiff called a Bogart/Bacall banter..when Kelly showed up later in the day and read the same thing Janel Moloney it left everyone realizing that Moss/Lymon was going to be a thing.

Originally, according to the podcast, Sorkin was going to have a love triangle between Josh/Mandy/Seaborn but when Sheen came on full time that idea was scuttled. Joshua Malina has now taken over the podcast of TWW and some of the stuff they talk about is very interesting giving insight into the actual politics behind the show. Like the story of how Madaleine Albright was woken up at around midnight due to a late outdoor shoot--she came out yelled at the crew and that lead to Anna Deavere Smith being cast as Nancy McNally. She starting showing up and asking why there is not more secretary of state plots and stuff

The podcast is fantastic

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Yeah Donna's my favourite, I had a crush on her by the end of season 1. Margaret was probably character with the funniest scenes but Donna was adorable and very dynamic, her chemistry was with everyone not just Josh. Her and Charlie....they were a delight.

Abby Bartlett was the only one I couldn't stand, I know people hate on Mandy but Mandy was fine minus a couple scenes. Abby on the other hand came off as petty, antagonistic, and the actress seemed like she should be on a soap-opera.

The problem with Mandy was that she was never really part of the team. Her character was written that way, but Sorkin really found his rhythm with the "work is family" dynamic that he talks a lot about. A consultant doesn't fit that motif.

As for Abby, she was fine in the first few seasons. Once we get past Sorkins writing, her character was used to be nothing more than an obstacle.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
The podcast is fantastic

I like the fact different people do it. A few years ago they addressed how Spencers death affected the last 5 episodes. While they did not give away everything. They did explain that in the flash forward when they said "here is the man of the hour" to Josh--it was because Donna had just given birth to their first child" and was not about Santos winning--Vinek was going to win

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I like the fact different people do it. A few years ago they addressed how Spencers death affected the last 5 episodes. While they did not give away everything. They did explain that in the flash forward when they said "here is the man of the hour" to Josh--it was because Donna had just given birth to their first child" and was not about Santos winning--Vinek was going to win

Ah. We are talking about different podcasts. I'm talking about the one that is a rewatch that a superfan and Josh Malina are doing at the same time.

Also, I'm relatively sure no one says that about Josh in the flash forward. Having seen it probably a dozen times.

Edit: I was right. The line when Josh gets there is "there he is" which is innocuous enough to mean anything.

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Ah. We are talking about different podcasts. I'm talking about the one that is a rewatch that a superfan and Josh Malina are doing at the same time.

Also, I'm relatively sure no one says that about Josh in the flash forward. Having seen it probably a dozen times.

Edit: I was right. The line when Josh gets there is "there he is" which is innocuous enough to mean anything.

I am talking about the podcast before Malina takes over

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
ya she won 2 more emmies on that sitcom called Mom. dont think shes *****ing to much about it.

she and rob lowe are basically the only 2 that had success post West Wing.

edit: forgot about Dule hill in Psych

Bradley Whitford's career hasn't exactly been in shambles. Richard Schiff has always been a great character actor and he hasn't done bad either. On Ballers and was on House of Lies recently. Both excellent roles.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
That's not the same podcast. The West Wing Weekly was started by Malina and Hrishi from songxploder

Malina took it over--it has bounced between different people who do their own spin on it. It started in 2014--the current guys took it over last year and reset the podcast--

The big reset was when they started doing stuff in order of the episodes..latest one is end of season 2

Last edited:

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Regarding the original finale, someone told me at one point the original plan was for Vinik to win, but, that Josh was going to be hired as his chief of staff. I have never seen that validated anywhere though, and I think a conservative president that is deemed a moderate by his party would get resistance from his party having a very liberal chief of staff.

But, it's a twist that fits well with that final scene.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Regarding the original finale, someone told me at one point the original plan was for Vinik to win, but, that Josh was going to be hired as his chief of staff. I have never seen that validated anywhere though, and I think a conservative president that is deemed a moderate by his party would get resistance from his party having a very liberal chief of staff.

But, it's a twist that fits well with that final scene.

Vinik was supposed to win. If you look around at the Banff festival John Wells gave a talk on the changes caused by Spencer's death. His line was "we knew the death would be hard on fans and losing the election would make it harder". Vinik was supposed the GOPs answer to Bartlett. I have never read that Josh was going to be his chief of staff and I can not see Josh working for the GOP

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Malina took it over--it has bounced between different people who do their own spin on it. It started in 2014--the current guys took it over last year and reset the podcast--

The big reset was when they started doing stuff in order of the episodes..latest one is end of season 2

Yeah. No.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Out of curiosity, is this worth checking out if I'm generally put off by Sorkinisms? I haven't liked much of the stuff I've seen from him (most recently, The Newsroom), but the stuff I've seen isn't as critically acclaimed as The West Wing.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Out of curiosity, is this worth checking out if I'm generally put off by Sorkinisms? I haven't liked much of the stuff I've seen from him (most recently, The Newsroom), but the stuff I've seen isn't as critically acclaimed as The West Wing.

Nothing he's done has been as good as The West Wing, so it probably is. Although there are Sorkinisms everywhere of course.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada

It's like comfort food in 2017 (unless you're anti-liberal/democrat)

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

If you don't like the film, the American President, you won't like West Wing.

It's like a 2 hour pilot.

A lot of grand statements and violins when right prevails coupled with banter and witty dialogue.

Sorkin does manage to look at some interesting issues over the course of the series.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
If you don't like the film, the American President, you won't like West Wing.

It's like a 2 hour pilot.

A lot of grand statements and violins when right prevails coupled with banter and witty dialogue.

Sorkin does manage to look at some interesting issues over the course of the series.

I'd also say that TWW characters are far more interesting than what Sorkin has done in his other series.

Make no mistake, he casts them as the heroes at every turn, but he does give them all legitimate flaws that make their struggles worthwhile as a viewer.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Dude. I am a TWW junkie. The padcast started in 2014 but when molina took it over the rebooted it and had a plan. It was not as organized and properly laid out

And I am telling you that whatever previous podcast you're thinking of is a different podcast. I'm serious. Google "West Wing Weekly" with the quotes. You won't find anything prior to the start of the current Podcast.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad