The Vancouver Media Thread | Part VIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I didn't even realize that the NHL made their streaming service unavailable to North American until right now. Although with the blackout rules in-place, it was pretty much useless unless you actually lived out of market.

Reactions: David71

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This was what got to me the most. There would be several minutes of drive-time radio level discussion of ephemera, then: holy shit, that guy hit a ball with a bat!!! I felt like I was being trolled.

They'd sound almost annoyed as they were forced to add an 'and Jones slaps it into left field for a single' before immediately pivoting back to their podcast.

It's especially jarring when you're used to the regular Jays telecasts where they basically micro-analyze every pitch, pitching strategy, batter approach, and so on. The Apple broadcasts have literally none of that. I'll be sitting there trying to figure out if the pitcher just threw a cutter or a slider while they're babbling away about Ohtani or something.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I am actually fine with all of the Canucks games moving to one streaming platform (and in fact, that's my preferred outcome) since it means I can finally cancel cable. But the worst result is having the Canucks on cable AND one or more streaming platforms.

I hope Amazon at least allows the delayed start of a game as I rarely am able to start watching at 7pm (or earlier) given kid duties.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I am actually fine with all of the Canucks games moving to one streaming platform (and in fact, that's my preferred outcome) since it means I can finally cancel cable. But the worst result is having the Canucks on cable AND one or more streaming platforms.

I hope Amazon at least allows the delayed start of a game as I rarely am able to start watching at 7pm (or earlier) given kid duties.

It won't be one.

HNIC isn't going anywhere. And they won't want to take all the games off cable because you're removing the product from too many people.

In 10 years you're probably going to see 50-60 games on cable and the other 30 split across 3-4 different streaming services.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
It won't be one.

HNIC isn't going anywhere. And they won't want to take all the games off cable because you're removing the product from too many people.

In 10 years you're probably going to see 50-60 games on cable and the other 30 split across 3-4 different streaming services.

Can't wait to watch a 100 game season between 47 teams that starts in November, ends in August, get split over Amazon, NBC, Disney+, and a merged Sportsnet/TSN conglomerate. The pre-game show and intermission segments will still always be about the Leafs.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Can't wait to watch a 100 game season between 47 teams that starts in November, ends in August, get split over Amazon, NBC, Disney+, and a merged Sportsnet/TSN conglomerate. The pre-game show and intermission segments will still always be about the Leafs.
This is nonsense and will never happen. If anything, the season will start in late August and end in early August. I cannot wait to see Utah face off against New Mexico!

My Wishlist:
-Premier PPV games on streaming platforms. Games will be featured for free but with ads covering up 60% of the screen....but you can get the full HD experience for an additional $5 more per game! Ads will still be seen and will be unskippable!
-More stadium series! I want to see games in risky areas including Rio De Janeiro, New Mexico and Prince George.
-More in-season interruptions to allow for more All-Star Games and 4 Nations League's tournaments. Why are we only doing 1 ASG? Should do more! Hell, do an ASG mid-playoffs to feature the best players from the remaining playoff teams!
-A hockey rink at the Bristol Motor Speedway? Some fans won't be able to see shit but who cares!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: MS and Vector

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
This is ridiculous, I had a Sportsnet+ subscription last season but I'll probably just pirate this season since they don't have all the games.
This is the way.

Consumers need to vote with their wallets against this splintering of the broad cast rights.

NBA is doing the exact opposite (unless things have changed very recently). And its lovely. 120€ (133,58usd) per season for every single game including playoffs and a buunch of games from the past.

If I watch 20 games a year its worth it.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
This is the way.

Consumers need to vote with their wallets against this splintering of the broad cast rights.

NBA is doing the exact opposite (unless things have changed very recently). And its lovely. 120€ (133,58usd) per season for every single game including playoffs and a buunch of games from the past.

If I watch 20 games a year its worth it.

Starting in 2025-26 the NBA’s broadcast rights are split between ABC, ESPN, Amazon, and NBC, and Peacock.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Trying to listen to 650 these days is rough. Blue Jays talk is sheer torture. I have to change the dial rather than have that Jays talk shoved down my throat.

It's awful. I change the station right away when that 9am show comes on. I actually enjoyed the Jeff marek show during hockey season so I hope they bring something like that back just so we can get away from this daily blue Jay garbage.

I also have an issue with the guys on the drive home show. I always run into that overrated/underrated segment and those are generally trigger words for me.

Really like the halford/brough duo in the mornings though. They get me.

Reactions: rypper

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad