The Ted Nolan thread

FakeKidPoker*

Easy decision.

He is back in the NHL for at least six more months... gets an NHL sized paycheque that is worth six figures.. if he does well who knows maybe it leads to even another one.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
I think Nolan was the perfect choice to come in here and right the ship in the locker room. I don't for see miracles but he will install compete and accountability.

The rebuild is useless if the young players we have are being ruined. Nolan will build the kids up and show them how to be pros.

Risto and Girgs look like they will stick in Buffalo. I can see Zads being returned to London and Larsson going to Roch to play big minutes. Grigs is the wildcard but I think he will benefit the most from Nolan. He will show him how to work like a pro and put him in situations to succeed. Guys like Foligno and Pysyk are still young and need that support as well. Building our young nucleus up will pay off just as much as the hig end picks we hope to grab in the next two years. I think Ted will do a great job here and be offered an extension after the year. He's the type of coach and person that really resonates with this community and fan base. He will need an assistant who is a real Xs and Os guy though as that isn't his strong suit. Love that he is back and looking forward to the team and culture growing.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Wow! So we have a coach now that does actual line matchups!? Its a miracle! Nolan also doesn't practice with gardening gloves!

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Easy decision.

He is back in the NHL for at least six more months... gets an NHL sized paycheque that is worth six figures.. if he does well who knows maybe it leads to even another one.
Just between you and me - he already had a six-figure paycheck. It's not all about money, you know.

If you think he gets all teary-eyed in every interview because he got a bigger paycheck, there's something wrong with you.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
This is a dangerous phrase and one I massively disagree with. If it's not what you want, fine, but don't tell me what I should and shouldn't want.

Yeah, you can want mediocrity cycles with no infusion of talent at any point. That's cool.

I'd rather put Ted in the position to scrape a 4th place team into a cup winner. It's not gonna happen with the tools we got in the toolbox now.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
I'm excited about this guy. Since I wasn't that into the Sabres and the NHL last time I was here, he is just a new guy to me. But I'm way more excited about him than I ever was about Rolston. I don't know what it is, but just seeing him in interviews he seems to have an energy, a passion that Rolston just didn't show (I won't claim Rolston doesn't have it but it didn't show). Nolan seem genuinly happy to be here, he's emotional about it and he's not afraid to show it. I still don't know what his system will be, but I never knew that with Rolston either so...

One little detail I loved in the video of him coaching Team Latvia is when he wanted to address a player and first turned to his assistant coach to ask the players first name. And making a genuin effort to pronounce it correctly. It's just a detail, but it's a detail I like a lot because it shows respect for the individual. I guess it's a me kind of thing. I like it because it's what I do when I meet someone with an unusual name. So it got to me. :)

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I think Nolan was the perfect choice to come in here and right the ship in the locker room. I don't for see miracles but he will install compete and accountability.

The rebuild is useless if the young players we have are being ruined. Nolan will build the kids up and show them how to be pros.

Risto and Girgs look like they will stick in Buffalo. I can see Zads being returned to London and Larsson going to Roch to play big minutes. Grigs is the wildcard but I think he will benefit the most from Nolan. He will show him how to work like a pro and put him in situations to succeed. Guys like Foligno and Pysyk are still young and need that support as well. Building our young nucleus up will pay off just as much as the hig end picks we hope to grab in the next two years. I think Ted will do a great job here and be offered an extension after the year. He's the type of coach and person that really resonates with this community and fan base. He will need an assistant who is a real Xs and Os guy though as that isn't his strong suit. Love that he is back and looking forward to the team and culture growing.

Grigs is definitely a wild card. I'm having a hard time seeing him playing much with where his game is right now. I immediately think of him when I hear Nolan's comments about its not fair to have teenagers up against men. I also look at the move of Girgs to center as making it very hard for Grigs to get in the lineup much. PLus the new management team will not be beholden to decisions Darcy made (Like keeping Grigs here last year and starting his contract). If they don't think he is ready to be in the NHL right now he may get shipped back to juniors.

When the team is healthy enough I wouldn't be shocked if there were only 1 or 2 of the youngsters up here. Girgs and maybe Risto. Though I could see Risto getting sent down

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
When the team is healthy enough I wouldn't be shocked if there were only 1 or 2 of the youngsters up here. Girgs and maybe Risto. Though I could see Risto getting sent down

See, now I'm the opposite -- I could see Girgs getting sent down (Girgensons-Larsson-Armia top line???) to work on his offense.

Given that there's some question about whether or not Ristolainen can actually play in Rochester this year (no, I don't want to debate it here), and given that I think of the teenagers that Risto has looked the least out of place........keep Risto here and give him occasional "viewing days".

Tapu Coco

Jan 23, 2013
WNY
See, now I'm the opposite -- I could see Girgs getting sent down (Girgensons-Larsson-Armia top line???) to work on his offense.

Given that there's some question about whether or not Ristolainen can actually play in Rochester this year (no, I don't want to debate it here), and given that I think of the teenagers that Risto has looked the least out of place........keep Risto here and give him occasional "viewing days".

I don't see Girgs getting sent down with the whole Latvia connection with Nolan, plus I think he's been playing just fine. He's 19, points will come

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

There is almost no point at this time to keep putting Girgs on the wing, regardless of where he plays.

As for him getting sent down, I'm curious what your reasoning is on that.

Last edited:

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
There is almost no point at this time to keep putting Girgs on the wing, regardless of where he plays.

As for him getting sent down, I'm curious what your reasoning is on that.

We've got guys in Rochester who can replace the role that Girgensons currently brings (Kaleta, Porter) -- that is, solid defense, energy, etc. Right now, Girgensons isn't really bringing much offense to the table (ditto Larsson).....he's good along the board and cycles well....but there isn't a whole lot there offensively aside from cycling and puck possession. Let him marinate in Rochester to develop that offense further while Kaleta/Porter bring the some defense/no offense stuff.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
We've got guys in Rochester who can replace the role that Girgensons currently brings (Kaleta, Porter) -- that is, solid defense, energy, etc. Right now, Girgensons isn't really bringing much offense to the table (ditto Larsson).....he's good along the board and cycles well....but there isn't a whole lot there offensively aside from cycling and puck possession. Let him marinate in Rochester to develop that offense further while Kaleta/Porter bring the some defense/no offense stuff.

He's played all of one game at center, his natural position. Lets see what he can do at the position for a few weeks before deciding he can't bring offense in the NHL. Then if he is still struggling offensively then I agree, send him down.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
From Nolan's post-game on Saturday (Q&A at 1:45), he notes that he's not a fan of staged fights off draws and has directed both Scott and the team that he doesn't want to see them talking in a faceoff circle saying "wanna fight?"

Sean McG

Dec 27, 2009
Niagara on the Lake, ON
With a few days off Nolan should have a better idea of the players on his team. Hoping he finds a way to get the two scratched forwards (Grigs, Larsson) into the lineup. I'm not sure how Grigorenko will fit in but I'd rather see him out there than Leino. Larsson also seems like he'll be a pretty permanent fixture once Ted gets him out there and sees the way he plays, I don't think he realizes what he has in Larsson because he's the definition of the "compete" player he keeps preaching.

Wouldn't mind Zadorov getting the final game before his deal kicks in, so the new coach can see what he has in him too. Still think the best option is London, but give him one last game.

HP00

Oct 27, 2007
Buffalo, NY
I get Nolan's notion of not liking staged fights but in circumstances like tonight when Phaneuf went after Cody I think a fight is called for.

KasparsHipCheck

Feb 9, 2013
upstate ny

I'm not sure what the whole story was, when Buffalo fired Nolan Afterhe won an Adam's, but it was a bad decision at the time. He seems like a great coach, who got dealt a raw deal. Buffalo is lucky that he agreed to come back after being fired years ago. If Lafontaine is smart, he'll keep Nolan and not even make it an issue for the future GM.

Squantosawuss

Dec 10, 2010
B-lo
Yeah, you can want mediocrity cycles with no infusion of talent at any point. That's cool.

I'd rather put Ted in the position to scrape a 4th place team into a cup winner. It's not gonna happen with the tools we got in the toolbox now.

THIS, big time.

People are obsessed with the short-term feel-good, which guarantees much future middling. Haven't you seen enough of THAT? Squeaking into 8th place is the WORST thing that can happen.

To put it bluntly: If you're not a legit contender, you might as well be dead last and get the kind of talent that you NEED to win a Cup, and simply cannot trade for.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
If Nolan thinks that sending Zemgus down will benefit him and the team in the long term, he'll do it. The team Latvia connection plays no role whatsoever here, apart from the fact that he's seen him play at center and knows that it's his natural position, which might affect some of the other guys (Grigorenko, Larsson).

But the thing is that Zemgus has been a very solid 3rd-liner so far. Great puck possession, always giving 100%, the best +/- on the team. And talking about points and offensive contribution, he's only got 1 point less than Ennis, Stafford and Ott, who enjoy a top 6 role on a regular basis.

So I don't really see *why* should he be sent down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad