The stock market thread Part II (The GME Phenomenom)

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Nasdaq futures are down 5.31% as I type this. Gonna be an interesting day tomorrow.

I'm hoping the sell-off continues through this month. It will create a nice buying opportunity IMO.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I got in at ford on Friday at 10.05 and thought it was a steal.

I’m starting to think perhaps I should have waited.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
TSLA missed earnings expectations by like 12%, they had to layoff a lot of their workforce and the stock is....up 10% after hours.

I don't understand anything anymore.

I've been BTC maxing the last few months anyway, but I need to get some exposure into NVDA at some point.
That aged superbly.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Hi guys, I am brand new to investing and would like to learn more before putting $ out. Long story short I am looking at longer term investments vs. becoming a guy that buys and sells a lot. If I get really into it I may consider doing some of the latter down the line, but my main goal is to grow money longer term 5-10+ years to help towards retirement and providing a better financial future for my kids. I am in the US and would also like to keep my tax liability low. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Hi guys, I am brand new to investing and would like to learn more before putting $ out. Long story short I am looking at longer term investments vs. becoming a guy that buys and sells a lot. If I get really into it I may consider doing some of the latter down the line, but my main goal is to grow money longer term 5-10+ years to help towards retirement and providing a better financial future for my kids. I am in the US and would also like to keep my tax liability low. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Read Benjamin Graham's The Intelligent Investor. Stick to safe index funds (QQQ, SPY, etc.) until you have some enough research to have convictions on individual stocks. Once you do, FAANG stocks (like Apple, Microsoft, etc ) are good long term holds (but have more short term volatility if you can handle it). I'm a big believer in Bitcoin and ETH as long term stores of value, but I'm not steering anyone into crypto without them doing their due diligence and reading up on it.

For limiting tax liability, if you can open a Roth account and max it out, it will save you tax dollars in the long run. Otherwise you'll owe capital gains on whatever you do sell. The hack with Crypto is that it's coded as a commodity and not a stock by the SEC so it's not subject to wash sale rules, so if there's a dip, you can sell it at a loss and buy it right back and claim the loss on your taxes at the end of the year. Of course, consult your tax advisors and don't blindly listen to someone on the Internet on that.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Read Benjamin Graham's The Intelligent Investor. Stick to safe index funds (QQQ, SPY, etc.) until you have some enough research to have convictions on individual stocks. Once you do, FAANG stocks (like Apple, Microsoft, etc ) are good long term holds (but have more short term volatility if you can handle it). I'm a big believer in Bitcoin and ETH as long term stores of value, but I'm not steering anyone into crypto without them doing their due diligence and reading up on it.

For limiting tax liability, if you can open a Roth account and max it out, it will save you tax dollars in the long run. Otherwise you'll owe capital gains on whatever you do sell. The hack with Crypto is that it's coded as a commodity and not a stock by the SEC so it's not subject to wash sale rules, so if there's a dip, you can sell it at a loss and buy it right back and claim the loss on your taxes at the end of the year. Of course, consult your tax advisors and don't blindly listen to someone on the Internet on that.
Thanks, what are the best places to compare stocks, ETF's etc.? The same for buying? I'm thinking that ETF's might make some sense for me, I like that some of them can have %'s of companies that I'd like to invest in but might not want to pay $400-$800 per stock.

SlpLessInMuskoka18

Aug 13, 2018
New video out August 20th 2024!

Edit: Q2 Finacials came out for anyone still digging. MC has moved up so be weary cse stocks are being hammered still

"As at the date of these Financial Statements, management has re-negotiated the cost of its VSAT managed services resulting in as much as a 50% reduction on current pricing. This is an important achievement and will increase gross margin and assist the Company in its objective to reach positive EBITDA as soon as possible.

As part of the Company’s ongoing financing efforts, management continued to increase its pipeline of financing options from other groups with expressions of interest of over US$ 60M resulting in the US$ 15M term sheet announced in May and agreed mandate to further increase this amount. With the Company’s contributed equity in NuRAN Wireless (Africa) Holding supporting this long-term debt, the additional financing options available, and cash generated in its subsidiaries, NuRAN is committed to showing regular progress in building the planned quantities of sites."

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Israel vs Italy
    Israel vs Italy
    Wagers: 7