The state of the Habs Rebuild - The Next step

What note you give to Kent Hughes' Rebuild? ?

• A

Votes: 205 53.7%
  • B

Votes: 136 35.6%
  • C

Votes: 36 9.4%
  • D

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • E

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • F

Votes: 5 1.3%

• Total voters

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
We don't even know they were wrong and probably won't know for another 5+ years and that's if we would ever know, ie it's still debateable if taking Price or Kopitar would have been the better choice in 05.
It’ll feel better to accept today we didn’t get the budding star. If things turn around for Reinbacher and the Habs, it’ll feel even better then. So be it. It’s honestly fine.

The cope (“he never wanted to come here//he illegally manoeuvred to Philadelphia”) and the barely contained rage (“the wrist slitting collective”) are 100% unnecessary.

Not every one of our tank picks was gonna be the right one. It never is and never will be. If Reinbacher ends up being the RD we need that’s totally good and acceptable… I think we can think that and still pine for Michkov the budding superstar and also use it as a data point against blindly supporting the brain trust. All fine, imo. Never too high, never too low.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
We don't even know they were wrong and probably won't know for another 5+ years and that's if we would ever know, ie it's still debateable if taking Price or Kopitar would have been the better choice in 05.
It looks like they were right about Demidov so whoever evaluated the players (Bobrov Sr) got that one. There is no reason to believe that they got Michkov wrong. He is likely a selfish player. And as i have said before anyone who WANTS to play for Philly is an idiot

The lenght of the rebuild will be dependant on the strenght of management's choices. That pick is one of several key choices they made. We have a right to question those choices as they have everything to do with the rebui
It has nothing to do with what they need to do to complete the next step which is the header on the thread.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
It’ll feel better to accept today we didn’t get the budding star. If things turn around for Reinbacher and the Habs, it’ll feel even better then. So be it. It’s honestly fine.

The cope (“he never wanted to come here//he illegally manoeuvred to Philadelphia”) and the barely contained rage (“the wrist slitting collective”) are 100% unnecessary.

Not every one of our tank picks was gonna be the right one. It never is and never will be. If Reinbacher ends up being the RD we need that’s totally good and acceptable… I think we can think that and still pine for Michkov the budding superstar and also use it as a data point against blindly supporting the brain trust. All fine, imo. Never too high, never too low.

Pretty much this. I get why it happened but this absurd 180 that occurred between Bergevin and HuGo was always bound to lead to disappointment here and there and the 'THESE GODS CAN DO NO WRONG' crowd should eat a little bit of crow, especially since they spent years terrorizing this board with their incessant whining in years prior, even when the team won a bunch of games (not that I disagreed with a lot of the criticism, I started realizing Bergevin was an idiot at the 2015 TDL and completely lost faith in him when he let us sink with Condon/Scrivens the year after).

Reactions: ReHabs

Grate n Colorful Oz

The Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
It looks like they were right about Demidov so whoever evaluated the players (Bobrov Sr) got that one. There is no reason to believe that they got Michkov wrong. He is likely a selfish player. And as i have said before anyone who WANTS to play for Philly is an idiot

It has nothing to do with what they need to do to complete the rebuild wich is what this thread should be about.
You don't get to chose what this thread should be about. The title says it. State of the rebuild. The state of the rebuild is dependant on the choices management has made and will make. If you don't like the comments about Michkov, just simply ignore them. As an adult, you should have that capacity. To simply disregard comments if you know it triggers you. Take some responsibility for yourself instead of trying to impose your framework for discussion.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
You don't get to chose what this thread should be about. The title says it. State of the rebuild. The state of the rebuild is dependant on the choices management has made and will make. If you don't like the comments about Michkov, just simply ignore them. As an adult, you should have that capacity. To simply disregard comments if you know it triggers you. Take some responsibility for yourself instead of trying to impose your framework for discussion.
Then get rid of The Next Step of the title.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

I wanted us to draft Michkov, but you know what, a few days after the draft I stopped caring about Michkov and what he will do and I can tell you it feels way better then "accepting a loss" ever would.

Like seriously how can think "still pine for Michkov" is in any way better then just moving on? Do you think pining for an ex a year after the breakup is healthy or feels better then moving on from what could've been and focusing on the future with the new significant other who is frankly probably even better (Demidov)?

Now that said, given that there's a gone but not forgotten thread to talk about all the ex-Habs, I'd have no issue with there being a could've would've should've thread where talk is focused on guys we didn't draft, trades we didn't make, and similar non-habs player discusssion of what could've been.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
I wanted us to draft Michkov, but you know what, a few days after the draft I stopped caring about Michkov and what he will do and I can tell you it feels way better then "accepting a loss" ever would.
I did the exact same thing (and my post history would support this!!).

I accepted that if Michkov burst out, it wouldn’t ruin my mood. I still root for Michkov’s success and that’s perfectly fine with me.
Like seriously how can think "still pine for Michkov" is in any way better than just moving on? Do you think pining for an ex a year after the breakup is healthy or feels better then moving on from what could've been and focusing on the future with the new significant other who is frankly probably even better (Demidov)?
It’s not the same as pining after an ex. Until Demidov or Reinbacher or even Caufield/Slafkvosky makes us forget about missing out on a star forward we will always feel the lack of a star forward.

You had people here cope and mope about how it’s totally fine Slafkovsky had a 10pt rookie season. Michkov is on 9pts in 8gp. Applying the same standards would reveal that we did, indeed, miss out and it did affect our rebuild. Until it doesn’t, it’s perfectly fine to think we f***ed up in this case.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I did the exact same thing (and my post history would support this!!).

I accepted that if Michkov burst out, it wouldn’t ruin my mood. I still root for Michkov’s success and that’s perfectly fine with me.

It’s not the same as pining after an ex. Until Demidov or Reinbacher or even Caufield/Slafkvosky makes us forget about missing out on a star forward we will always feel the lack of a star forward.

You had people here cope and mope about how it’s totally fine Slafkovsky had a 10pt rookie season. Michkov is on 9pts in 8gp. Applying the same standards would reveal that we did, indeed, miss out and it did affect our rebuild. Until it doesn’t, it’s perfectly fine to think we f***ed up in this case.
We haven't missed out on a star forward we passed on a potential star forward. It takes more then 8 games to go from being a potential star to an actual star.

And yes I told people like you to relax about Slaf's lack of production as a rookie and that it didn't mean much, and applying the same standard is exactly why we shouldn't anoint Michkov as a star just yet. It takes time, now sure Michkov is well on his way to being a star, but the hardest part of actually being a star in the NHL is finding the consistency to do it for 82 games. It's why we can't even say Slaf is a star yet, he hasn't done it for long enough.

I'd also saying that as of right now it hasn't impacted our rebuild at all, it may in the future be something we look back at and say we F-ed up, but right now we shouldn't say that becuase it's not true, we don't know if we F-ed up or not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad