The state of the Habs Rebuild - The Next step

What note you give to Kent Hughes' Rebuild? ?

• A

Votes: 199 56.9%
  • B

Votes: 122 34.9%
  • C

Votes: 29 8.3%
  • D

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • E

• F

• Total voters

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
I’m not trying to ‘get’ you or ‘own’ you or whatever.

I just don’t get why you posted what you did. Nobody expects this guy to be a superstar. So why are you suggesting that they are?
are you kidding? Have you read the thread? The comparables to AP were all over hence why I brought him up. People throwing around HOF'ers when referring to Reinbacher is why I was laughing so hard.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
are you kidding? Have you read the thread? The comparables to AP were all over hence why I brought him up. People throwing around HOF'ers when referring to Reinbacher is why I was laughing so hard.
It’s one thing to compare players stylistically, it’s a whole other thing to say they are the next (x player.) I haven’t seen anyone say he’s the next anything.

I mean, I think Joshua Roy is stylistically similar to Luc Robitaille. That doesn’t mean I think he’s the next Robitaille…

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
are you kidding? Have you read the thread? The comparables to AP were all over hence why I brought him ujp

The comparable to Pietrangelo is in reference to the fact you keep talking about how Reinbacher has to do this offensively and that offensively to be worth the pick.. but people keep using comps like Pietrangelo, Suter, Slavin, Hamrlik to describe the style, that offense can be generated without flash and that those defenseman are extremely valuable even if they are boring to watch.

Outside of KevSkillz, an eternal optimist, and maybe a few outliers, I don't think anyone expects Reinbacher to have the same career as Pietrangelo in terms of production and overall impact; but that stylistically that is what he does. It's not sexy but it matters.

He was never drafted to be a Makar. That doesn't stop someone from being a valuable defenseman.

Reactions: Trabdy2

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The comparable to Pietrangelo is in reference to the fact you keep talking about how Reinbacher has to do this offensively and that offensively to be worth the pick.. but people keep using comps like Pietrangelo, Suter, Slavin, Hamrlik to describe the style, that offense can be generated without flash and that those defenseman are extremely valuable even if they are boring to watch.

Outside of KevSkillz, an eternal optimist, and maybe a few outliers, I don't think anyone expects Reinbacher to have the same career as Pietrangelo in terms of production and overall impact; but that stylistically that is what he does. It's not sexy but it matters.

He was never drafted to be a Makar. That doesn't stop someone from being a valuable defenseman.
It reminds me of the hate Slaf had from some in his first season. Fortunately for him, Wright was slow to develop. But imagine if he’d come in and lit it up for Seattle. It’d be brutal here.

Now RB’s hurt and in comes Michkov. Get ready for the vitriol if he’s a Calder candidate because it’s going to be insane here.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
It reminds me of the hate Slaf had from some in his first season. Fortunately for him, Wright was slow to develop. But imagine if he’d come in and lit it up for Seattle. It’d be brutal here.

Now RB’s hurt and in comes Michkov. Get ready for the vitriol if he’s a Calder candidate because it’s going to be insane here.

He's going to be a calder candidate. He may even win it.

I'm ignoring the threads where the highest concentration of crying is going to be, because it's not a good use of anyone's time or energy.

Michkov picked his team, we took the BPA among NHL teams and scouting staff if you take Michkov out of the equation.

Like are we forgetting the Sharks took Will Smith at 4 over Michkov, too? That's because they got the same misinformation from Michkov's camp as the Habs and Arizona did.

Leto

Feb 16, 2023
Lord knows we have the ammunition to pull something off
And they will

They do have the ammunition, but is there any team that would be willing to trade a 1st pair RD? Beside Calgary with Rasmus Andersson, there isn't any plausible trade target.

You really have to draft and develop to get one. Colorado really hit the jackpot with Makar.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
They do have the ammunition, but is there any team that would be willing to trade a 1st pair RD? Beside Calgary with Rasmus Andersson, there isn't any plausible trade target.

You really have to draft and develop to get one. Colorado really hit the jackpot with Makar.

They have to knock on the door of the Rasmus Andersson trade possibility.

They might get into some hot water wanting that conditional 1st back if the Barkov injury is severe.

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
He's going to be a calder candidate. He may even win it.

I'm ignoring the threads where the highest concentration of crying is going to be, because it's not a good use of anyone's time or energy.

Michkov picked his team, we took the BPA among NHL teams and scouting staff if you take Michkov out of the equation.

Like are we forgetting the Sharks took Will Smith at 4 over Michkov, too? That's because they got the same misinformation from Michkov's camp as the Habs and Arizona did.
Idk about that. I think alot of that noise is nothing more than rumors to justify the Reinbacher pick. Even in the Habs draft video last year, you could see the team talking about potentially passing on a certain someone (cough cough Michkov). It seems like Michkov was always on the table but Habs decided to go with Reinbacher for their own reasons.

The only team I believe Michkov turned down was the Coyotes. I don't believe for a second he said No to MTL. Maybe he preferred PHI more, maybe??? That's hard to say for sure tho

Reactions: kp61c

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Maybe Calgary wants their 1st back…

Reactions: Redux91

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
Idk about that. I think alot of that noise is nothing more than rumors to justify the Reinbacher pick. Even in the Habs draft video last year, you could see the team talking about potentially passing on a certain someone (cough cough Michkov). It seems like Michkov was always on the table but Habs decided to go with Reinbacher for their own reasons.

The only team I believe Michkov turned down was the Coyotes. I don't believe for a second he said No to MTL. Maybe he preferred PHI more, maybe??? That's hard to say for sure tho
it's simple. the habs said no to michkov. they preferred reinbacher and will have to live with that choice.

Reactions: HabzSauce

Habs

Feb 28, 2002

'if' Michkov is a Calder candidate? lol
The Michkov pain is over for now, but it certainly will come up at some point IF there was a reason they didn't draft him or Leonard I'd love them to just shut us all up about it. Even if it was 'He only wanted to play for Philly' then screw that guy.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
it's simple. the habs said no to michkov. they preferred reinbacher and will have to live with that choice.
And that’s fine.

But the wall of shit that’s coming towards this kid who’s not even going to be playing this year is going to be ugly.

Michkov hasn’t played a game and you can already feel the heat here.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Gorton wanted to make sure, but of course he was on the table for every team, but when you are picking top 7 and the prospect you are thinking about selecting is giving you the run around, and has the power to stay in Russia and leverage that into what they want, that does enter the equation.

What we do know is that Friedman confirmed that Michkov and his agent played the process to get to Philly as best they could.

We know that Michkov was seen as potentially the best talent in the draft outside of Bedard, yet he went all the way to Philly at 7.

We can reasonably give the edge to Carlsson and Fantilli as centers with size over Michkov. But then San Jose took Smith over Michkov. Montreal took Reinbacher. Arizona took Simashev.

We know Philly wanted 5 to get Reinbacher, so clearly felt they could get Michkov at 7 or that they valued Reinbacher higher.

We know Nashville tried to get up to 5 to take Reinbacher.

We know the noise entering the draft were teams trying to get 5 to take Reinbacher and not move up to get Michkov.

Michkov met with Philly twice, including a secretive meeting with the top parts of the organization there and he didn't do that with any other team.

The math maths here and Michkov got what he wanted. If you are to bash the Habs for making that decision, you have to also apply that same logic to the San Jose Sharks. Let's be real, in no universe, one for one, without anything else going on, that a team would take Smith over Michkov, right?

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

Of course people should expect a Pieterangelo. He is not that great and certainly not anywhere near a Hall of Famer.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
'if' Michkov is a Calder candidate? lol
The Michkov pain is over for now, but it certainly will come up at some point IF there was a reason they didn't draft him or Leonard I'd love them to just shut us all up about it. Even if it was 'He only wanted to play for Philly' then screw that guy.
The Michkov thing isn’t over here. It’s barely begun.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002

Well that's the disagreement then. I don't think you rebuild with blueliners like this, you can find them on the UFA market and in later rounds. Struble, Harris , Savard are examples of these types of players you can build around as well.

The Michkov thing isn’t over here. It’s barely begun.

I hope it haunts Kent every moment lol

Reactions: Mrb1p

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Well that's the disagreement then. I don't think you rebuild with blueliners like this, you can find them on the UFA market and in later rounds. Struble, Harris , Savard are examples of these types of players you can build around as well.

Those guys aren't nearly at the same level as what we are talking about. There are not a surplus of right shot defenseman with that profile. That's why they consistently go very high in the draft.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
And that’s totally fair. Maybe he’ll be a terrible pick or not worth where we selected him. Not all of our prospects will work out, that’s almost a certainty.

But let’s give the guy a chance before shitting all over him. Is that okay?

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad