The state of the Habs Rebuild - The Next step

What note you give to Kent Hughes' Rebuild? ?

• A

Votes: 199 58.0%
  • B

Votes: 119 34.7%
  • C

Votes: 25 7.3%
  • D

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • E

• F

• Total voters

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Are you referring to St Louis, which did not in fact have two 70 point centremen?

O’Reilly had 77 points and Schenn had 54

Perhaps the golden knights, who had no 70 point players
St. Louis had O’Reilly, who had the same production as current Suzuki, but also won the Selke that year. That’s better than Suzuki. When Suzuki wins the Selke while maintaining his current level of production, we can have a discussion.

Vegas had Eichel, who probably everyone on this site except the most biased Habs fans would agree is better than Suzuki. He missed time that year due to injury, but was healthy for the playoffs where he put up 26 points in 22 games. He was better on a per game basis in both the regular season and playoffs than anything Suzuki has ever done.

Also, both teams had an elite D in the league (Pietrangelo), so they didn’t need a 70+ point 2C.

Wanna try again?

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
St. Louis had O’Reilly, who had the same production as Suzuki, but also won the Selke that year. That’s better than Suzuki. When Suzuki wins the Selke while maintaining his current level of production, we can have a discussion.

Vegas had Eichel, who probably everyone on this site except the most biased Habs fans would agree is better than Suzuki. He missed time that year due to injury, but was healthy for the playoffs where he put up 26 points in 20 games. He was better on a per game basis in both the regular season and playoffs than anything Suzuki has ever done.

Also, both teams had an elite D in the league (Pietrangelo), so they didn’t need a 70+ point 2C.

Wanna try again?

No I think your post did a very good job of explaining your bias to everyone here

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Suzuki proved in our SCF run that he can go out against the oppositions best players and come out on top, so yes he's good enough to be the #1 C of a cup winning team. But like every player they can't do it when they are on an island, and Suzuki was on an island offensively during that run. And frankly putting up 77 points during the regular season with a non-functional PP and no other line that opposing teams have to worry about also shows he's got the juice to be that #1 guy.

So like every player he's going to need support. Right now the supporting cast are all question marks, so the state of the rebuild is figuring out the answers to those questions. Can Caufield be that 40+ goal guy he has shown he could be, what's Slaf's ceiling, can Dach stay healthy and be the player we've seen glimpses of over a full season, can Hutson's transition game make up for his lack of size such that he's a good 5 on 5 player, what's Guhle and Reinbacher's actual ceiling, etc...

We won't get answers for everyone by the end of this year, but just getting better projections will go a long way towards understanding the next steps for the rebuild actually are. In the end building a cup winner is about having your strengths make up for the weaknesses because yes every modern cup winner has holes in their lineup.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
The Laine situation scares me a bit.
I could see him rehabbing for a couple of months or so and then realizing it's not right.
He may still be facing surgery no matter what even if he does come back.
What happens if this starts eating into next season.
The idea was always going to be to get a look at what we look like with players actually in their proper chairs.
It will be a shame if we never get to see that this year.

It could be paranoia though I'm still waiting for Pricer to recover. :sarcasm:

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Suzuki proved in our SCF run that he can go out against the oppositions best players and come out on top, so yes he's good enough to be the #1 C of a cup winning team. But like every player they can't do it when they are on an island, and Suzuki was on an island offensively during that run. And frankly putting up 77 points during the regular season with a non-functional PP and no other line that opposing teams have to worry about also shows he's got the juice to be that #1 guy.

So like every player he's going to need support. Right now the supporting cast are all question marks, so the state of the rebuild is figuring out the answers to those questions. Can Caufield be that 40+ goal guy he has shown he could be, what's Slaf's ceiling, can Dach stay healthy and be the player we've seen glimpses of over a full season, can Hutson's transition game make up for his lack of size such that he's a good 5 on 5 player, what's Guhle and Reinbacher's actual ceiling, etc...

We won't get answers for everyone by the end of this year, but just getting better projections will go a long way towards understanding the next steps for the rebuild actually are. In the end building a cup winner is about having your strengths make up for the weaknesses because yes every modern cup winner has holes in their lineup.
That got to be the most down to earth post i've seen in a while. The season has not started yet so you're still supposed to post pre-season hot takes.

To counter that post and retore balance in the force i'll say all our kids are bust the pre-season proved it and we'll be the new Sabres for the nest 15 years. Rainbusted, Flopkovski and Demibust man we can't draft properly.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
St. Louis had O’Reilly, who had the same production as current Suzuki, but also won the Selke that year. That’s better than Suzuki. When Suzuki wins the Selke while maintaining his current level of production, we can have a discussion.

Vegas had Eichel, who probably everyone on this site except the most biased Habs fans would agree is better than Suzuki. He missed time that year due to injury, but was healthy for the playoffs where he put up 26 points in 22 games. He was better on a per game basis in both the regular season and playoffs than anything Suzuki has ever done.

Wanna try again?
O'Reilly was also 27 years old. When ROR was the same age as Suzuki his best season was 64 points and his best selke ranking was 6th. Suzuki best season his 77 points and his best selke ranking is 13th. I don't expect Suzuki to get much better offensively but he could improve his defensive. I'd say the prime defensively comes later than offensively it's more toward the end of the 20ies around 27-28. Suzuki is close to be a finished product but at the same time he doesn't have to improve a lot to be an effective 1st line center. Just improving his defense a bit would be enough. At his age such small improvement is not unheard of at all.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
O'Reilly was also 27 years old. When ROR was the same age as Suzuki his best season was 64 points and his best selke ranking was 6th. Suzuki best season his 77 points and his best selke ranking is 13th. I don't expect Suzuki to get much better offensively but he could improve his defensive. I'd say the prime defensively comes later than offensively it's more toward the end of the 20ies around 27-28. Suzuki is close to be a finished product but at the same time he doesn't have to improve a lot to be an effective 1st line center. Just improving his defense a bit would be enough. At his age such small improvement is not unheard of at all.

League scoring has went up since then. It's pretty even when adjusted.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Yes, as I’ve said several times now. He is going to have to improve significantly if he’s going to be the top C when we are contending (if we do). That means either Selke level defense (top 5 or better) with his current offense, or improving his offense to probably the 90-100 point range. As he is currently, he’s not good enough. Not sure what people’s issue with that is statement is. It’s true.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
League scoring has went up since then. It's pretty even when adjusted.
Yeah but the assertion was that ROR was a btter player. 27 years old ROR was but 24 years old not really (i know Suzuki is 25 years old but he has not played his 25 years old season yet so the data we have is from his 24 yerars old season). I could see Suzuki becoming as good as 27 years old ROR in the next 3 seasons easily.

Beside Garbageyuk seems to be working with the assumption that the rebuild is over and none of our kids will overacrhive. That's a weird take at best. Many people have argued since the beginning that the rebuild would take 5 years minimum. It has only been 3 drafts so far ... it's not over yet.

We will definitely draft top 10 again in 2025. While we might not draft top 10 in 2026 i don't think we'll be outside the top 15. With all the accumulated picks we can try to move up in those drafts too. We'll add other kids in the upcoming two years. I don't think any knowledgeable fans think the rebuild is over atm.

Arguing we're not there yet is kind of pointless as very few fans think we really are. Most people around here put the team bottom 10 for this season. Even the media paid by the TV deal with the NHL say we'll be bottom 10 and they usually sell our team high since they are beasically getting paid by the CH to do their job.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Yes, as I’ve said several times now. He is going to have to improve significantly if he’s going to be the top C when we are contending (if we do). That means either Selke level defense (top 5 or better) with his current offense, or improving his offense to probably the 90-100 point range. As he is currently, he’s not good enough. Not sure what people’s issue with that is statement is. It’s true.
You should just disregard anyone saying otherwise. I've not followed the whole conversation cause the breadcrumb was over 10 posts long but in those few posts i've check you come across as someone pretending he can't make the improvement. Maybe i misjudge you?

While i'm not pretending he'll make the improvement i think it's far form being impossible. He needs to improve his defensive game and his faceoffs but he made lot of progress in the last 2 years in those aspects of the game and while he's at the age most players don't improve offensively he is young enough to improve defensively and at the faceoffs dot while retaining his offense.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
you come across as someone pretending he can't make the improvement.
Not at all. In fact, I said he’s going to have to if he’s going to be the 1C when we’re contending (if we do). Whether he actually does is anyone’s guess, and I didn’t say what will happen one way or the other.

This whole thing started because the one poster insinuated that the team could contend for Cups without both an elite 1C and a top D. I was just pointing out how that’s never happened, and in all likelihood, never will.

Reactions: LaP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad