The state of the Habs Rebuild - The Next step

What note you give to Kent Hughes' Rebuild? ?

• A

Votes: 199 58.0%
  • B

Votes: 120 35.0%
  • C

Votes: 24 7.0%
  • D

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • E

• F

• Total voters

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Despite being 4th in the division last year, Tampa had the top PP in the league and their PK finished 5th as well. They sucked at 5v5, they were 5th in 5v5 GA and had a differential of -19 at 5v5 (their total differential for the season is +23).

But yes, Habs need to improve on the special teams, the defending 6v5 (1st in GA and only the Sharks had a worst differential) and the PK especially (3rd in GA). That's where they hemoraged goals last year. They also need to score more everwhere, not just the PP.
It kind of accentuates my point about the importance of special teams in this league.
Tampa still ended up with 98 points. I'm curious about just how much effort was put in 5v5 by Tampa.
Looking at our results we know if one or two players are off we are done we push have to push hard all the time.

Reactions: Andrei79

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
It kind of accentuates my point about the importance of special teams in this league.
Tampa still ended up with 98 points. I'm curious about just how much effort was put in 5v5 by Tampa.
Looking at our results we know if one or two players are off we are done we push have to push hard all the time.
They ended up with 98 points because they had the 11th best PP since the 1969-1970 season. I would almost call it an anomalie, only McDavid/Draisailt as done better since like 1985.

Habs just don't have the guns to rely on the PP to win their season.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
I would give an A. I don't think we're finished the rebuild, but the collection of picks, stop gaps, waiting to clear space, the risk reward of Monahan and Laine, landing Demidov and Hutson, the signing of MSL.

I think we're 3 years away from being cup contenders.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Even strenght is even more important as more than 3/4 of games (and goals) is spent at even strenght.

I bet if the Habs performed well on special teams and totally sucked at EV, we'd hear just as many complaints and we'd hear all about the importance of even strenght play. Like nothing else matters.

To me personally, I'd rather my team be good at EV first and foremost.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Despite being 4th in the division last year, Tampa had the top PP in the league and their PK finished 5th as well. They sucked at 5v5, they were 5th in 5v5 GA and had a differential of -19 at 5v5 (their total differential for the season is +23).

But yes, Habs need to improve on the special teams, the defending 6v5 (1st in GA and only the Sharks had a worst differential) and the PK especially (3rd in GA). That's where they hemoraged goals last year. They also need to score more everwhere, not just the PP.

Those are empty net goals which is kinda expected since we were the team to lose the most games by one goal. San Jose had far less tight games, so their worst differential has more to do with inefficiency than the Habs.

I agree about the PK and I would also add that our powerplay wasn't so bad production-wise, but it's the shorties allowed that killed it's true differential.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad