The state of the Habs Rebuild - The Next step

What note you give to Kent Hughes' Rebuild? ?

• A

Votes: 143 54.6%
  • B

Votes: 100 38.2%
  • C

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • D

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • E

• F

• Total voters

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
There is no relation to the contracts this team currently has, the bad contracts given this year and the players i wanted brought in this year. It's like you glossed over my post and decided I wanted to sacrifice all the future for a kamikaze run next year.

I don't even care if we hit the POs next year, I just want progress and mentally moving forward, getting closer to the goal. We've seen time and time again how good veteran leadership and mentorship can bolster up young player, that's what we should be aiming for, not to replace Suzuki with Nazem Kadri, but to bring in a 3rd or 4th line player that can releive some defensive assignment, that can help him with defensive assignment, to bring in a RD that can allow Guhle to slot in on the left instead of baby sitting Mothers Milk.

This post is ridiculous and I am not going to entertain it, Im sorry.

Again you're saying the same thing I said was dumb. Why would the Habs bring in more 3rd and 4th liners to take the ice time of prospective TDL targets like Armia, Dvorak, Savard, etc. Not only that, they would also take potential opportunity from young players like what Hughes eluded to. I get you're talking about depth but depth is not something Habs can afford to get while being efficient asset managers this year. Also Habs were on pace for a point per game until mid February last season. A huge part of Habs losing was Jake Allen never getting any points. He's gone, its more stable. If Dach can stay healthy that's also huge. Just naturally this team should progress. Hughes and Gorton have a plan and deviating from it at such an unnecessary time is dumb even if it's from just bolstering depth through FA

Reactions: Miller Time

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Again you're saying the same thing I said was dumb. Why would the Habs bring in more 3rd and 4th liners to take the ice time of prospective TDL targets like Armia, Dvorak, Savard, etc. Not only that, they would also take potential opportunity from young players like what Hughes eluded to. I get you're talking about depth but depth is not something Habs can afford to get while being efficient asset managers this year. Also Habs were on pace for a point per game until mid February last season. A huge part of Habs losing was Jake Allen never getting any points. He's gone, its more stable. If Dach can stay healthy that's also huge. Just naturally this team should progress. Hughes and Gorton have a plan and deviating from it at such an unnecessary time is dumb even if it's from just bolstering depth through FA
Because Anderson and Gallagher are both waiver material, buyout candidates. They can be easily rotated as 13th forwards to make the team better. No they wouldn't take opportunity from young players either, the young players have their spots in the line-up pretty solidifed, that includes Roy, that includes Slaf, Dach, Newhook, Reinbacher, Hutson.

The 2nd part of your post is a lot of why I haven't taken an Ottawa senators fan serious in decades, please don't be that blind supporter.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
Because Anderson and Gallagher are both waiver material, buyout candidates. They can be easily rotated as 13th forwards to make the team better. No they wouldn't take opportunity from young players either, the young players have their spots in the line-up pretty solidifed, that includes Roy, that includes Slaf, Dach, Newhook, Reinbacher, Hutson.

The 2nd part of your post is a lot of why I haven't taken an Ottawa senators fan serious in decades, please don't be that blind supporter.

First of all, never compare we with a sens fan. Secondly, I wasnt saying they'd make the playoffs, just that they'd naturally get better. That could be just by getting 4 more points. Sens fans are delusional.

Also, Habs management will not waive Anderson or Gallagher this year. They aren't buying them out either. They fall into a timeline of having their contracts expire as soon as or before the ELCs of demidov and Reinbacher are up. They also add good veteran leadership and are well liked by their teammates. I wouldn't be opposed if HuGo did one signing but that probably wouldn't affect much in the big picture like you'd prefer. This is just not the right time to do that. Gallagher and Anderson might still be useful trade assets in 2 years. HuGos mandate was getting rid of bad MB contracts and buyouts would be such a dumb way of doing it when it's not necessary. You buy out when you intend to sign to be really competive. Next year has always been the year to make changes and bolster depth in a serious manner. It will also give the team a more stable view of the overall team instead of this year when a lot of pieces will be on the move. That last point I just made is very important. You don't make moves when your situation is in total flux this year

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
First of all, never compare we with a sens fan. Secondly, I wasnt saying they'd make the playoffs, just that they'd naturally get better. That could be just by getting 4 more points. Sens fans are delusional.

Also, Habs management will not waive Anderson or Gallagher this year. They aren't buying them out either. They fall into a timeline of having their contracts expire as soon as or before the ELCs of demidov and Reinbacher are up. They also add good veteran leadership and are well liked by their teammates. I wouldn't be opposed if HuGo did one signing but that probably wouldn't affect much in the big picture like you'd prefer. This is just not the right time to do that. Gallagher and Anderson might still be useful trade assets in 2 years. HuGos mandate was getting rid of bad MB contracts and buyouts would be such a dumb way of doing it when it's not necessary. You buy out when you intend to sign to be really competive. Next year has always been the year to make changes and bolster depth in a serious manner. It will also give the team a more stable view of the overall team instead of this year when a lot of pieces will be on the move. That last point I just made is very important. You don't make moves when your situation is in total flux this year
They don't have to buy them out for them to be AHL material. They can be buried as 13th forward, as I've said in my post. There's four spots open, 2nd line RW, 2x bottom six wing and 1RD.

Lets not act like those spots are taken by someone crucial.

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
I like what we have so far…

Slafkovsky-Suzuki-Demidov
2025 first -Dach-Caufield
Roy-Hage-Beck
2025 first-Kapanen-Mesar
Newhook-Xhekaj-Tuch

Guhle-Reinbacher
Hutson-Mailloux
Xhekaj-Harris
Barron-Engstrom
Struble

Montebeault
Primeau
Fowler

Ideally I like the team to add more size on their top 9. I like Porter Martone and Ihs-Wozniak.

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
I like what we have so far…

Slafkovsky-Suzuki-Demidov
2025 first -Dach-Caufield
Roy-Hage-Beck
2025 first-Kapanen-Mesar
Newhook-Xhekaj-Tuch

Guhle-Reinbacher
Hutson-Mailloux
Xhekaj-Harris
Barron-Engstrom
Struble

Montebeault
Primeau
Fowler

Ideally I like the team to add more size on their top 9. I like Porter Martone and Ihs-Wozniak.
What year is this in your world? This is what I got for forwards:

2024/2025
Slaf - Suzuki - newhook
Caufield - Dach - Roy
RHP - dvorak - Anderson
Armia - Evans - Gallagher
Pazetta

2025/2026 (somehow dump Anderson):
Slaf - Suzuki - Demidov
Caufield - Dach - Roy
Newhook - Beck - Mesar
Heineman - Xkekaj - Tuch/gallagher
Kappanen
Haj still a year away.

That's pretty gross without doing anything at all. No trades, no signings. And not even counting for 2025 draft player we get. Look at all that competition.

Ideally Id move one of newhook or Mesar to make room for another big body skilled player like rantanen for ex to beef up our offence. Then we're set

Reactions: Beer and Chips

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
They don't have to buy them out for them to be AHL material. They can be buried as 13th forward, as I've said in my post. There's four spots open, 2nd line RW, 2x bottom six wing and 1RD.

Lets not act like those spots are taken by someone crucial.

Again your take results in terrible asset management. Okay I'll go through all the D Habs have. Guhle. Matheson. Savard. Xhekaj. Hutson. Harris. Barron. Mailloux. They have absolutely no room for even a 7th D. There's no need to fill 2nd line RW when Demidov is coming over next season. A one year band aid isn't worth giving a contract to a potential top 6 piece that probably wants an overpay. Another stupid take. As for the bottom 6 wings. Evans and Dvorak aren't obviously included. Besides them you have Armia, RHP, Gallagher, and Anderson. Also add in the potential open spot that Hughes mentioned that he would allow young players to battle for. You never actually address that point. Again I would not be against them adding one more depth player but you make it seem like they can sign 2-3 legit NHL regulars to fill gaps that don't actually exist for this year. All your plan leads to is bad asset management and bad planning both in the short and mid term.

Try harder next time

Canadiens98

Jan 29, 2021
The next step is now all about development and figuring out the right combinations / pieces that fit well together. We have some very young talented players, now we need to really see what the development team can do with them.

I'm especially high on Newhook having a big year next season .. 🤞

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
If Suzuki or Dach get injured this team will sink, and I'm very nervous for the TDL.
Why?

If they get hurt, we will definitely sink, and, KH will sell more aggressively... Armia, Dvorak, Savard, Evans. That's 4 assets that go on the auction block for sure if we're out of it by mid season, which we would be if we lost our #1 & #2C long term.

I'd rather we were healthy & lock in a WC spot, even if that meant no ufa's traded and even perhaps a "buy" at the TDL...

But if injuries ruin that? We'll sell aggressively and end up with a massive influx of picks/prospects because of it. Not a bad alternative imo

Reactions: Gustave

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Why?

If they get hurt, we will definitely sink, and, KH will sell more aggressively... Armia, Dvorak, Savard, Evans. That's 4 assets that go on the auction block for sure if we're out of it by mid season, which we would be if we lost our #1 & #2C long term.

I'd rather we were healthy & lock in a WC spot, even if that meant no ufa's traded and even perhaps a "buy" at the TDL...

But if injuries ruin that? We'll sell aggressively and end up with a massive influx of picks/prospects because of it. Not a bad alternative imo
Not bad, but then what? The year after, we should expect to go from « last » to a playoffs spot?
At some point we’ll need to be able to withstand injuries + the hardships of a long season and still progress. If we keep going back to last, we’ll never make it out of there. I don’t want the Habs to become the basement dwellers that use all kind of excuses to justify being bad. Also…. I’m tired of having to like losing :laugh:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
We finished at the very bottom of the atlantic last year and we are essentially swapping 50 games of Monahan for the hope that Dach stays healthy, nothing else is a clear upgrade. Who are we finishing ahead of ? Why ? With additions, does that mean we can make it to the wild card ? Why not shoot for that then ?
Hutson's a clear upgrade.

Obviously we will have injuries. But it's hard to believe that we'll be as bad off as we've been. Dach and Newhook will play a lot more. Roy will have a full season. We might also see guys like Mailloux and Beck in the lineup this year. We might even see RB.

The team is fundamentally changing - and for the better. It's going to take time. People need to be patient.

Reactions: HabzSauce

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Not bad, but then what? The year after, we should expect to go from « last » to a playoffs spot?
At some point we’ll need to be able to withstand injuries + the hardships of a long season and still progress. If we keep going back to last, we’ll never make it out of there. I don’t want the Habs to become the basement dwellers that use all kind of excuses to justify being bad. Also…. I’m tired of having to like losing :laugh:
If Dach gets hurt, I think we'll get another center. We've been so patient and rightly so. But if he goes down we have to find a replacement. we can still keep Dach but we cannot go another year without a 2nd line pivot. Suzuki's a completely different story.

We are getting to the point where we'll have centers to spare though. Beck, Hage, Newhook and even Demidov can apparently all play center. So I fully expect that we'll be able to handle injuries a lot better going forward.

Demigod11

Jun 28, 2021
There is a very important component of the rebuild that you are missing. Player development. The Slafkovsky from the early part of last year to him at the later part is completely different. Roy also developped. Newhook was also better. Now add Hutson + Mailloux or Reinbacher. KH want the younger players to step up their game. If you add more veteran you are stalling their development.
So Detroit, Ottawa and Buffalo, the other rebuilding teams in the Atlantic all make zero development strides while we reach the top? Add to that 2 teams that very recently won Stanley cups, Toronto the perennial regular season champs and Boston who's seemlingly always competitive, where do you believe we rank in our division?

I'd be EXTREMELY surprised if any of Newhook, Mailloux, Roy or Reinbacher really move the needle compared to replacement players for next year.

We're not ready to compete yet.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Again your take results in terrible asset management. Okay I'll go through all the D Habs have. Guhle. Matheson. Savard. Xhekaj. Hutson. Harris. Barron. Mailloux. They have absolutely no room for even a 7th D. There's no need to fill 2nd line RW when Demidov is coming over next season. A one year band aid isn't worth giving a contract to a potential top 6 piece that probably wants an overpay. Another stupid take. As for the bottom 6 wings. Evans and Dvorak aren't obviously included. Besides them you have Armia, RHP, Gallagher, and Anderson. Also add in the potential open spot that Hughes mentioned that he would allow young players to battle for. You never actually address that point. Again I would not be against them adding one more depth player but you make it seem like they can sign 2-3 legit NHL regulars to fill gaps that don't actually exist for this year. All your plan leads to is bad asset management and bad planning both in the short and mid term.

Try harder next time
Not sure that trying any harder will help... When it comes to a terrible take, first thing to do is to stop digging, not digging harder lol

It's fascinating how disconnected from reality some takes are.

Anderson, Gallagher, Armia, Evans, Dvorak... There isn't a GM in the league that wouldn't add one of them to their bottom 6 immediately if cap /cost of acquisition weren't a factor.

The quality of players and impact from the bottom 1/2 of our NHL roster is literally the least of our concerns. I'm not sure that there are more than a handful of teams that have a better group of players in their 7-14.

The issue is that we spend ~24M for our 7-14 group of forwards (20M of which created by bargainbin).

Fla = 10M for forwards 7-13
Edm = 10.5M for forwards 7-12
Dallas = 6M for forwards 7-11
NYR = 10M for forwards 7-14

& safe bet that most top tier teams have similar structures.

It's frankly amazing that some posters are that oblivious to the reality of a cap system sports league...

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

The fatigue at losing is understandable...

But it is also irrelevant to assessing our current state and what's required to get to where we want to be...

Absolutely, our roster is not deep enough in talent to be a contender.

But the answer to the question of how to build enough talent & depth to be a cup winner is a different one than how to get as many wins/points out of this season...

Progressing our roster to a cup contender is less about year over year points improvement as it is about cultivating the right culture and making asset management decisions that keep the eye on the prize...

Reactions: Gustave and Lshap

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
So Detroit, Ottawa and Buffalo, the other rebuilding teams in the Atlantic all make zero development strides while we reach the top? Add to that 2 teams that very recently won Stanley cups, Toronto the perennial regular season champs and Boston who's seemlingly always competitive, where do you believe we rank in our division?

I'd be EXTREMELY surprised if any of Newhook, Mailloux, Roy or Reinbacher really move the needle compared to replacement players for next year.

We're not ready to compete yet.
Where did you get that I do not expect other team to 'possibly' get better. I did not mention anything about other teams. He mentionned that the habs did nothing to improve for next year and I simply pointed out that the Habs at the end of the season were significantly better than the one from the beginning of the year. Never claimed we would 'compete' but I would not be suprised if we surprise a few and do better than anticipated. Other teams could also crumble, it happen every season. A couple season ago the Habs went from the stanley cup final to finish dead last the following season, you never know in competitive sports way too many factors. As for where we stand in the division, I don't know, ask me after a month into next season. Too many factors like injuries or bad form could come into play. That being said, I have little doubt we should fare better than last season. I think we are not very far of Ottawa, Buffalo and even Detroit (who were very dissapointing in their last stretch of games)

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
It used to be B because we were lacking the key piece of an elite offensive forward, nor any realistic way to get one. But now we have one in our system, so it's A.
Agree…..we have Slaf but we needed one more blue chipper to make it an A, adding 1 more offensive dynamo would merit an A+ and if we add another young stud defenceman would elevate this rebuild to an A++

I believe we will reach this benchmark after the 2025 NHL draft!!

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I absolutely love what we are doing. But it's a B for me, until he turns us into Cup contenders.

I'd like one more surefire piece for our top 6, and I think that comes via trade or FA.

We are flush with our own homegrown talent, and rarely is a team built solely on their own prospects. They always surround with talent from outside.

2025/26 I want to look like this....

Slaf - Suzuki - Demidov (assuming he is as advertised)
FA/Trade - Dach - Caufield
Newhook - Beck (assuming he is ready) - Roy
Anderson - Evans - Gally - I don't see us dumping donkey and Gally easily

Necas, Laine, Ehlers or Rantanen would be the dream. Rants likely not going to be there as FA.

Guhle - Matheson
Hutson - Reinbacher
Xhekaj - Mailloux

Matheson sticks around until we can fill the RD spot. Maybe Reinbacher explodes this year in his D+2 year and claims that top spot. Maybe Mailloux does. In a perfect world, these guys do that and we merely have to fill the 3rd pair RD spot. Barron could stick around for that. It is a young Defence for sure, but these guys are entering the age where they need to make the show and start showing something. I truly believe in Rein, Mailloux and Hutson. Guhle and Xhekaj are known commodities in the NHL, it's just a matter of where in the lineup do they deserve to be playing.

Montembault
Primeau/Fowler

I think Fowler is the real deal. In November of 25 he turns 21. I want to see him start next year in Laval and get some late season call ups in the show in case of an injury to Monty or Primeau. He needs exposure to be ready to take over completely in 26 or 27.

Last edited:
Reactions: BJCOLLINS

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
B from me. No big mistakes, accrued some picks, drafted some good pieces, slowly and steadily undone the damage of the Bergevin era. Nothing yet remotely deserving an A+, but he's been doing the right things so far.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
B so far, and it's not a knock on HuGo at all, but rebuild just started, if everything pans like I think it could, I'll revise my vote, for sure.

I have to say, I'm optimistic for the first time in years.

Reactions: Sorinth

electron58

Jun 29, 2024
Easy 'A' for me. After decades of misdirection we now actually have hope that this franchise has an actual plan. The whole concept of having people with class & smarts running the show is so refreshing. It's much better to feel real optimism instead of false optimism. Rebuilding the whole organization from the ground up & creating support levels in all areas gives the organization stability. Sure there's going to be hits & misses (learning curve) but the direction is clear. What we've seen thus far, even being short on talent has been some exciting hockey. In theory, with the same players, we should improve. If we acquire another top 6 forward &/or we have a breakout year by 1 or 2 players it could be even more exciting. I think it's better to be optimistic than pessimistic as we're trending in the optimistic territory. So, fingers crossed.................🤞

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad