The state of Florida braces for Hurricane Milton, Panthers still scheduled to play tonight

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Hurricane Milton, once a Category 5, is now a Cat 4 and will come ashore as a Cat 3 hurricane and looks to be aiming for Tampa. Tampa hasn’t taken a direct hit in over 100 years, according to my local news, but any hit in that area is going to be beyond awful as they just dealt with Hurricane Helene and this storm is massive. Tampa isn’t scheduled for a home game until Saturday, but a lot is up in the air as they brace for Milton. Hockey’s obviously one of the last things on most people’s minds and a lot of people have evacuated. Keep our HF brothers in your thoughts and prayers. The storm surge will be incredibly destructive, the area is already saturated and debris is all over after cleanup from Helene.

For the Panthers, as of this morning South Florida is out of the cone, hockey appears to still be on for tonight’s banner raising ceremony, so I guess Boston’s coming in to play and will fly right back out. Hockey today, hurricane feeder bands tomorrow.

Milton looks to be coming ashore Wednesday night into Thursday morning. Hopefully it will move quickly and won’t pause as others have done in the past, including Wilma who also formed in the Gulf in 2005.

Attachments

• IMG_6191.jpeg
    IMG_6191.jpeg
    227.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6190.jpeg
    IMG_6190.jpeg
    178.8 KB · Views: 1

Edgelord

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Hurricane Milton, once a Category 5, is now a Cat 4 and will come ashore as a Cat 3 hurricane and looks to be aiming for Tampa. Tampa hasn’t taken a direct hit in over 100 years, according to my local news, but any hit in that area is going to be beyond awful as they just dealt with Hurricane Helene and this storm is massive. Tampa isn’t scheduled for a home game until Saturday, but a lot is up in the air as they brace for Milton. Hockey’s obviously one of the last things on most people’s minds and a lot of people have evacuated. Keep our HF brothers in your thoughts and prayers. The storm surge will be incredibly destructive, the area is already saturated and debris is all over after cleanup from Helene.

For the Panthers, as of this morning South Florida is out of the cone, hockey appears to still be on for tonight’s banner raising ceremony, so I guess Boston’s coming in to play and will fly right back out. Hockey today, hurricane feeder bands tomorrow.

Milton looks to be coming ashore Wednesday night into Thursday morning. Hopefully it will move quickly and won’t pause as others have done in the past, including Wilma who also formed in the Gulf in 2005.
I really hope this 1 dies down, if its bad, I can see a horrible situation developing. I can't see FEMA having the resources to handle 2 simultaneous situations

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
I wish they would stop calling hurricanes people's names. It's silly.
Just an easier way to track them. When they say Hurricane Andrew, Charlie, Wilma etc, most people know which storms they are, as opposed to Hurricane 10-2024 or whatever.
I really hope this 1 dies down, if its bad, I can see a horrible situation developing. I can't see FEMA having the resources to handle 2 simultaneous situations
It’s calmed some, but they water in the gulf is warm and feeds these storms this time of year.

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
Why would the Panthers be impacted way down in Miami? That's like saying that Chicago is having a blizzard so St. Louis is cancelling their home game... (not to minimize at all the mess that Tampa & that area of FL is about to go through in any way - stay safe any FL HFers).

Edgelord

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Just an easier way to track them. When they say Hurricane Andrew, Charlie, Wilma etc, most people know which storms they are, as opposed to Hurricane 10-2024 or whatever.

It’s calmed some, but they water in the gulf is warm and feeds these storms this time of year.
Like you were saying, that area is already water logged and a new storm surge has the potential to be really bad. Especially if it hits Tampa directly.
1 aspect that should keep it from getting to the NC level is the natural geography. In NC you had these natural peaks and valleys and the roads were usually in the valleys and the water would flow through the valleys destroying the roads. In Florida the water should be able to spread out more.

• Love
Reactions: Laus723

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Why would the Panthers be impacted way down in Miami? That's like saying that Chicago is having a blizzard so St. Louis is cancelling their home game... (not to minimize at all the mess that Tampa & that area of FL is about to go through in any way - stay safe any FL HFers).
It’s not like that at all, not even close. First, the Panthers aren’t located in Miami, they’re 45 minutes to an hour northwest of Miami in Sunrise, which is west of Fort Lauderdale.

This storm is huge and we will still be experiencing tropical storm force winds and rains. Tropical storms can drop a ton of rain, have tornadoes, and high winds (40-60 mph). The storm could still shift south, they rarely follow the expected track NOAA gives, but that much of a bobble isn’t expected.

Last edited:

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
Hurricanes impact incredibly large areas.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Like you were saying, that area is already water logged and a new storm surge has the potential to be really bad. Especially if it hits Tampa directly.
1 aspect that should keep it from getting to the NC level is the natural geography. In NC you had these natural peaks and valleys and the roads were usually in the valleys and the water would flow through the valleys destroying the roads. In Florida the water should be able to spread out more.
Agreed, shouldn’t be nearly as awful as the NC impact, but a 12-15 foot storm surge is devastating. As you said, hopefully it calms down a LOT more before landfall.

Pablo El Perro

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
This is going to be a horrible impact, especially with storm surge on the south of the storm which, as you said, already has flooding from Helene less than two weeks ago and, as odd as it seems, Ian two years ago, which changed flooding issues in general, eliminated a lot of mangroves that protect the coast, and changed parts of the coast itself.

All of us on the West Coast of Florida are expecting the worst. But this shouldn't affect any of us much until tomorrow night, and it shouldn't affect Sunrise much, so it makes sense that the Panthers are playing.

Edgelord

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Agreed, shouldn’t be nearly as awful as the NC impact, but a 12-15 foot storm surge is devastating. As you said, hopefully it calms down a LOT more before landfall.
In my basic understanding of storms, if the hurricane is causing storm surge in Tampa, would it not lower sea levels to the north and south of the surge? I ask because if this is the case would that not in a way help where the Panthers are?

This is going to be a horrible impact, especially with storm surge on the south of the storm which, as you said, already has flooding from Helene less than two weeks ago and, as odd as it seems, Ian two years ago, which changed flooding issues in general, eliminated a lot of mangroves that protect the coast, and changed parts of the coast itself.

All of us on the West Coast of Florida are expecting the worst. But this shouldn't affect any of us much until tomorrow night, and it shouldn't affect Sunrise much, so it makes sense that the Panthers are playing.
hey man, I wish you good luck and you and your loved ones get through it with minimal damage

Reactions: Pablo El Perro
Mar 12, 2009
I know where they could divert funds they are currently spending to give them the appropriate resources, but it won't happen. Just have to hope it's course takes it a bit off the heavily populated track.

Pablo El Perro

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
In my basic understanding of storms, if the hurricane is causing storm surge in Tampa, would it not lower sea levels to the north and south of the surge? I ask because if this is the case would that not in a way help where the Panthers are?

hey man, I wish you good luck and you and your loved ones get through it with minimal damage
With Storm surge, usually it's worse on the Southeastern Quadrant of the storm, because of the counter-clockwise motion. So, yes they can have the effect you mention, but that would be North of the direct impact. Of course, Islands are different as those winds pushing away from the storm are just hit on the back/Eastern side by surge.

And thanks.

Reactions: Edgelord

Pablo El Perro

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
They don’t have the ability to handle one, much less two.
It really depends on what we mean by handle. FEMA isn't funded well and it looks like nobody wants to campaign on that. Instead, we all point fingers. But even handling the aftermath of a storm with the best resources is, traditionally, a messy issue. Insurance companies bailing on and cheating their customers don't help.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
This should help people better understand that the whole state is going to be affected to some degree. The Tampa area looks to be facing a much greater impact, but we’re still expecting 40-60 mph sustained winds and heavy rains. Not until Wednesday/Thursday, so it appears that game time will be fine.

Attachments

• IMG_6197.jpeg
    IMG_6197.jpeg
    182.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6196.jpeg
    IMG_6196.jpeg
    237.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Edgelord

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
It really depends on what we mean by handle. FEMA isn't funded well and it looks like nobody wants to campaign on that. Instead, we all point fingers. But even handling the aftermath of a storm with the best resources is, traditionally, a messy issue. Insurance companies bailing on and cheating their customers don't help.
I'm concerned we may see 2 separate entities trying to help and interfering with each other to get the good optics of being the ones to help, FEMA vs the state type thing

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
This is scary stuff. Feel bad for those who in live in the area. Recovering from Helene just to get a more powerful storm is awful.

Reactions: Edgelord

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
SE Florida looks like it will be largely spared of anything other than rain and TS force gusts.

Hoping the best for everyone in the path of Milton, especially Tampa folk. Stay safe, FloBros.

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
if its hits as its predicted currently it is gonna be real bad i fear stay safe everyone and get the hell out of there if your in its path

Reactions: Laus723

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad