The Similarity in Performance Between Scrivens, Dubnyk, and Fasth.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Scivens Performance 14-15 (YTD): .888 Sv Percentage
Fasth Performance 14-15 (YTD): .900 Sv Percentage
Dunbnyk Performance 13-14 (YTD): .894 Sv Percentage

Whose fault is it that our Goalies suck? Here are some ideas with arguments for and against listed below. Please read and input what you think the reason is.

1. Goalie Coach - Frederic Chabot
Argument for: Freddy coached all three goalies to that similar performance.
Agument against: Dubnyk has 3 decent years under Chabot in a row before his implosion.

2. Head Coach - Dallas Eakins
Argument for: Coached all three goalies during those performances.
Argument against: The Head Coach doesn't affect goalie performance.

3. The Defence:
Argument for: Edmonton has had really bad defence for all of those performances. Dubnyk improves in Arizona with their better defence.
Arguments against: 3 of 6 Defenceman are upgraded from 13-14 to 14-15.

4. The Goalies Themselves:
Arguments for: Neither Dubnyk, Fasth, or Scrivens are good enough.
Arguments against: Dubnyk has improved since leaving the team and playing for Arizona to a .922 Sv Percentage

McDynasty

Nov 11, 2013
I voted Defence is not good, cause it's obvious it's not. Also having such slipshoddy D makes our goalies look bad, so one could easily vote bad goal tending too, just a vicious never ending cycle of suckage on the backend.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
until this fan base and media begin to understand that its not only the Defenseman that are suppose to play defense , then proper criticism will never be given.

The oilers have the worst collection of defensive forwards in the game, and compound that with the defensive group and it will be impossible to judge the goalies.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
0.914, 0.916, 0.920

Renney, Renney, Krueger.

0.888, 0.900, 0.894

Eakins, Eakins, Eakins

We had a ****** defence, I'd argue, in every one of those years. Even with Schultz and his supernova start in 2013's abridged season, that defence was worse than the one we have now.

The defence is bad, yes, but its coached abysmally. Where other coaches could cover up their flaws, this one has accentuated it.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
I think there's so many things at work there, just like there's a lot of reasons why our team is sucking in general.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I can't say it's not all of the above, but if I were to rank it from most worthy to least:

1. Defense
2. Eakins (the defense is partly a product of him)
3a. Goalies
3b. Chabot

White Water Kayker

Nov 28, 2014
until this fan base and media begin to understand that its not only the Defenseman that are suppose to play defense , then proper criticism will never be given.

The oilers have the worst collection of defensive forwards in the game, and compound that with the defensive group and it will be impossible to judge the goalies.

THIS^^^

The problem is a holistic one, and the goalies, for the most part, are on the receiving end of it. Scrivens was decent in Toronto pushing Riemer, excelled in LA with a real "team" in front of him, and has been poor in Edmonton. No surprise.

I can only imagine these tenders are wondering where the hell to start, much less anticipating some predictable play in front of them. They all looked lost, and it's not entirely, or even mostly, their fault.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Look at the history of every goalie to play for Edmonton while Chabot was here. All but Dubnyk regressed. Dubby had 3 good years and then he lost it too.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown

Yup.

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007

This is correct. The Oilers team defense is horrific. The amount of top quality scoring chances they give up is comical.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
The system isn't helping either. Didn't we hear about a new system that may cause a few chances against, due to the defense jumping up in the play? I remember a coach talking about this in the off-season.

oilers_guy_eddie

Playoffs? PLAYOFFS!?
Feb 27, 2002
This is Oil Country!
Visit site
Bad team defense. It's partly the personnel, and partly the coaching.

The goalies aren't super, but they aren't this bad. And blaming Chabot is just grasping at straws. Anybody who thinks things are going to change now that Chabot is gone is a sucker.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
0.914, 0.916, 0.920

Renney, Renney, Krueger.

0.888, 0.900, 0.894

Eakins, Eakins, Eakins

We had a ****** defence, I'd argue, in every one of those years. Even with Schultz and his supernova start in 2013's abridged season, that defence was worse than the one we have now.

The defence is bad, yes, but its coached abysmally. Where other coaches could cover up their flaws, this one has accentuated it.

Hard to deny this.

Eakins' system is a joke.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad