The Sens against Everybody

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Don't boo guys.

These are young people (Brady is 24!!! not exactly a grizzled veteran). Many of the players are young and fragile.. Tim is 22, Sanderson is 21, Greig, Norris, Jarv, Kleven are sub 24/25.

They are ours and we have no others.. We will win or lose with this group. No changes can be made. The reality of modern hockey is: Many teams are CAP teams. Those that are not are rebuilding and trades are not realistic.

I know the booing is at team Management, coaches and not the players. But, they won't distinguish.

They hear booing, the see it as directed at them.

Fire DJ is heard as: You the players are f***ing up and causing DJ's firing.

One way or the other, the players will internalize it.

Andlauer is no idiot. He has eyes. He has a brain. He will judge DJ in his own time and make a move if he deems it necessary.

At game end, don't clap, don't cheer, don't boo, don't scream out.. Walk out silently.. THAT WILL DELIVER THE MESSAGE and bypass the players.
You going to read the players a bedtime story and tuck them into bed too? This is sports, they need to grow up.

• Haha
Reactions: Agent Zub

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
If people are doing psychopathic things like Twitter DMing wives of players with threats about their play, or stealing the players shoes from outside their posh condo, I would say lay off that is strange and out of line. Booing at an arena isn't the same as those things.

This entire thing is hysterical. Brady seems like a good-guy and a great leader, but he is young and doesn't have a ton of experience dealing with a market place that has any real pressure. This is the most lax Canadian market next to maybe Winnipeg. This fanbase has endured more BS than any other team over the last decade or so, maybe with the exception of Arizona. Then Brady gets boo-boo faced and accuses the fans of being unwilling to withstand adversity? How absurd is that.

He scolded the same fans who are still hardcore enough to support the team through buying tickets in spite of a decade of Melnyk/Dorion, a rebuild that is going on 7 years, and a team that for the last 3 years failed to meet very soft and reasonable expectations that were sold to the fans.

This isn't Vegas being spoiled with the most absurd and team-friendly expansion draft rules of any pro sports league ever, being handed a contender, and the fans getting upset at the team when they just miss the playoffs for one season. This is Brady shaming hardcore fans for STILL CARING ENOUGH TO BOO after all the BS the team has laid on the fans the last decade.

I get they have a ton of injuries and are battling through a weaker lineup, but that's a micro issue. The boos were more of a macro issue. This isn't one bad game that got those boos. It's multiple years of terrible starts that torpedo the season before it even begins. If Brady sincerely feels the players are giving 100 percent on the ice, then maybe as captain it's time for him to step up and endorse changes else where in the organization.

The fans should probably be shamed, but for the opposite of what Brady said. They should be shamed for being so trusting in an organization that has constantly treated them as dispensable and let them down. So trusting that some of them likely spent hundreds of dollars on a night out, ruined by an awful product on the ice. Some of these are working class people who probably should have known better than to trust this team with their one big night out for the next little while. I don't want to be too hard on Brady, but it's a bad look for the son of a millionaire to criticize what might be one of the most resilient fanbases in the league and accusing them of not being willing to withstand adversity. It makes him look out of touch and soft. Quick, someone ask him how much a banana costs.

Reactions: Carl Karlsson

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Don't boo guys.

These are young people (Brady is 24!!! not exactly a grizzled veteran). Many of the players are young and fragile.. Tim is 22, Sanderson is 21, Greig, Norris, Jarv, Kleven are sub 24/25.

They are ours and we have no others.. We will win or lose with this group. No changes can be made. The reality of modern hockey is: Many teams are CAP teams. Those that are not are rebuilding and trades are not realistic.

I know the booing is at team Management, coaches and not the players. But, they won't distinguish.

They hear booing, the see it as directed at them.

Fire DJ is heard as: You the players are f***ing up and causing DJ's firing.

One way or the other, the players will internalize it.

Andlauer is no idiot. He has eyes. He has a brain. He will judge DJ in his own time and make a move if he deems it necessary.

At game end, don't clap, don't cheer, don't boo, don't scream out.. Walk out silently.. THAT WILL DELIVER THE MESSAGE and bypass the players.

Nah. Make them work a front facing customer service job for a week. See how nutty the public really are.

That'll toughen them up.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
You going to read the players a bedtime story and tuck them into bed too? This is sports, they need to grow up.
Seriously, right?

These adults need to keep in mind that people who generally make waaay less than they do spend their hard earned money on them, and everything is insanely expensive.

This team has sucked ass for too long for any of these guys to give anyone shit about expressing their opinions.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
For all the talk of us being “right there,” that hasn’t been proven by record, standings or stats. All the talk is getting old. I understand and somewhat sympathize with Brady and the team’s position, but man, it’s time to put up or shut up.

KingAlfie11

Nov 3, 2021
Fans have every right to shout what they want as long as it's not hateful or racist, but on the other hand players also have the right to say how they feel. I like the fact that Brady speaks from the heart, he's frustrated and he wants to stand up for his coach so can't blame him for that.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Us against the world is a fine way to coach. But I don’t know if these players can handle that sort of talk.

These players seem to think it’s them vs fate and it’s all about bounces

Turns out, it's the Sens against everyone... Including their fans.
Brady tkatchuk vs mean people

Fans have every right to shout what they want as long as it's not hateful or racist, but on the other hand players also have the right to say how they feel. I like the fact that Brady speaks from the heart, he's frustrated and he wants to stand up for his coach so can't blame him for that.
I don’t blame him for having his coaches back. Calling the fans behaviour bullshit tho? Cmon. Light booing from a vanilla Ottawa crowd lmao. I see why this team crumbles in game so often. Zero backbone

Reactions: LiseL

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison

No one is saying he is not entitled to communicate his feelings.

At least from my standpoint, the argument is not that he should not communicate his feelings or opinions, it is that he clearly is out of touch if his perception is that fans at the game still paying tickets haven't stuck through adversity.

These are fans who still pay money for tickets after a 7 year rebuild where expectations continually fall short of what was promised. Not to mention just in terms of adversity, the fans of the Senators have dealt with more BS than just about any other NHL team, let alone any other pro sports franchise.

It is absurdly out of touch to accuse those fans of some wrongdoing based on a perceived inability to withstand adversity.

It's not like Brady is a bad guy, or now I hate Brady and I want him traded out of town. Everybody has moments where they are emotional, or wrong, it's part of being human. I sincerely hope he can evaluate just what it has meant to support the Senators for the past decade, and see why he was wrong to point the finger at the fans booing. It would be much worse if the fans didn't do anything at all after everything this fanbase has had to deal with.

The problem seems to be Brady getting hung up on the team going out there and in his mind trying to win when they have lost half their defense, but this isn't just about one loss. That loss was the straw that broke the camel's back. It's about a decade of toxicity that this team has to live in the shadow of.

Us against the world is a fine way to coach. But I don’t know if these players can handle that sort of talk.

I don’t blame him for having his coaches back. Calling the fans behaviour bullshit tho? Cmon. Light booing from a vanilla Ottawa crowd lmao. I see why this team crumbles in game so often. Zero backbone

They need to get together their entire roster and pay Jonathan Drouin to do one of those scared straight school assembly style speaking engagements about what a real toxic fanbase is like.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013

Brady is the one with the backbone. He's sticking up for his teammates and his coaches because he is a leader. If people can't see that then they shouldn't watch sports.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Brady is the one with the backbone. He's sticking up for his teammates and his coaches because he is a leader. If people can't see that then they shouldn't watch sports.
Mhhm but fans being mean is bullshit?

Should channel his love for his coach into playing defence maybe he will keep DJ around a little longer if he does

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Mhhm but fans being mean is bullshit?

Should channel his love for his coach into playing defence maybe he will keep DJ around a little longer if he does
IT's obvious a number of posters have never played team sports on a really competitive level. Did you see how hyped up the emotions were last night? Brady was playing his guts out and was battling the abuse from a number of of Lightning players. He comes off the ice still amped up and uses a poor choice of words when speaking from the heart. I for one will give him the benefit of the doubt as I have heard him say great things about the fans and the city since he has been here. If his choice of words bothers you on this one instance then maybe you are too sensitive to watch such things.

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
IT's obvious a number of posters have never played team sports on a really competitive level. Did you see how hyped up the emotions were last night? Brady was paying his guts out and was battling the abuse from a number of of Lightning players. He comes off the ice still amped up and uses a poor choice of words when speaking from the heart. I for one will give him the benefit of the doubt as I have heard him say great things about the fans and the city since he has been here. If his choice of words bothers you on this one instance then maybe you are too sensitive to watch such things.
No doubt he’s a fine player. And when he’s on he can score (still can’t be bothered to play defence tho) But captain at this young age? He’s maybe not ready if he can’t handle light booing in a fairly quiet hockey market.

We’re emotions high? The game was pretty dull lol it was a trampling.

Nothing to do with playing sports man. We get there are emotions involved. Some people can keep emotions in check to speak about their own fans in a respectful way. Some can’t. Those who can’t should maybe not be out in front of microphones and be made captain

He needs to understand that after several years of being one of the leagues worst patience will run out and continuous losing will be met with the occasionally tame booing from a. Stadium full of fans. Such is sports? Like it’s a basic sports thing. Fans boo. No one jumped into the bench and tried to fight DJ smith. No one is threatening their life. No one is throwing bottles at them while they’re leaving the game lol. They got booed by an Ottawa crowd. And Ottawa crowd lmao. It’s like the least feared crowd in pro sports

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Fair or unfair, right or wrong, nobody is touching Formenton with a 10 foot hockey stick right now. Get a good player back, generate outlandish bad press wherein nobody will have any facts but act like they do, and empty half the arena in the process. Nobody sane would do this.

The NHL investigation can't really be released until there is a decision in the police investigation. There is a possibility that it is hung up because the police have recommended charges but the Crown's office is pushing back because they don't see a reasonable chance of conviction. But that's just a guess, and nobody who actually knows anything is leaking.
The NHL investigation report will probably never be released by the NHL due to legal agreement withs with those involved

The London Police and Crown Attorneys might use the NHL report in a legal proceeding if they need it to provide evidence; however, I suspect the police will have their own evidence to present, if this case ever goes to a court room.

I suspect that the evidence is weak and the Crown Attorneys do not want to proceed with the case for that reason. I also think the young lady wants this case to go away too so she can get on with her life without the stress of a court case and having to be questioned under oath.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
The players can grow the f*** up then.
or they can mail it in.

and with 8 guys on contracts that still have 3 or more years. Some the full 8

and those 8 are averaging about 6 M. With 5 having 7.9 M and higher

and many have backward rising salaries.. ie true dollar salaries.

The only people who will be hurt is: US!!!!

We can either respect their youth. We can either try and be kind and gentle, or we can have groundhog day.. another 6 years of SABS... Shit ass bad seasons

read #67

Nah. Make them work a front facing customer service job for a week. See how nutty the public really are.

That'll toughen them up.
read #67

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I have no problem with fans booing, since they paid to attend.
I also have no issue with Brady defending his coach and pulling a Phil Esposito in ‘72.

Reactions: DueDiligence

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
or they can mail it in.

and with 8 guys on contracts that still have 3 or more years. Some the full 8

and those 8 are averaging about 6 M. With 5 having 7.9 M and higher

and many have backward rising salaries.. ie true dollar salaries.

The only people who will be hurt is: US!!!!

We can either respect their youth. We can either try and be kind and gentle, or we can have groundhog day.. another 6 years of SABS... Shit ass bad seasons

read #67

read #67
They can mail it in all they want. They won't be here long if they do. And that sure as shit won't be on the fans. It will be in them. Because they're adult men that decided to play a sport for a living, and are laid handsomely for it. They can cry in their mansions about it for all I care.

I just don't understand why you want to use kid gloves. We've been through enough hardship as fans. Time to nut up or shut up.

The thing about being a fan is, I get to decide who I cheer for, and when. Time for this team to give me a reason to cheer for them beyond blind loyalty. Call me fairweather if you want, but my time and money is limited, as is everyone's. There are lots of other ways to spend both that don't make me want to turn off my tv.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
They can mail it in all they want. They won't be here long if they do. And that sure as shit won't be on the fans. It will be in them. Because they're adult men that decided to play a sport for a living, and are laid handsomely for it. They can cry in their mansions about it for all I care.

I just don't understand why you want to use kid gloves. We've been through enough hardship as fans. Time to nut up or shut up.
exactly how do you plan on getting rid of them?

and Ottawa is deemed an NHL shit hole.. so, you do them favours by moving them!!!!

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
exactly how do you plan on getting rid of them?

and Ottawa is deemed an NHL shit hole.. so, you do them favours by moving them!!!!
The next gm will ship them the hell out, or they'll request a trade because the poor hurt their feel feels. You're a troll, get a new hobby.

So sports is different from the rest of the world??? Give your head a shake and wake up.
Dudes get paid big money to push a puck around an ice surface. They don't live in the real world. Their entire living is made in the service of entertaining the people that pay their salaries.

KingAlfie11

Nov 3, 2021
We've been through enough hardship as fans. Time to nut up or shut up.
Come on stop you're whining, what hardship have you been through really? There's innocent people being bombed right now that's hardship, there's people that don't have a place to live, or don't have any food that's hardship. It's pisses me off when I hear fans say oh we've been through hardship. If being a fan of a hockey team affects you in a negative way I suggest that you prioritize what's really important in your life.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
Come on stop you're whining, what hardship have you been through really? There's innocent people being bombed right now that's hardship, there's people that don't have a place to live, or don't have any food that's hardship. It's pisses me off when I hear fans say oh we've been through hardship. If being a fan of a hockey team affects you in a negative way I suggest that you prioritize what's really important in your life.
I'm the context of hockey fandom dude.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad