OT: The Second OT Social Bubble Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Where is everyone? Lots of regular posters must be out enjoying the sunshine instead of posting here. That’s what mobile devices are for! Post from the golf course, or the beach.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Watched the new Mortal Kombat. Solid movie; some really good moments, some kinda dull - but I had a fun time watching it. Always had a soft spot for the 1995 version, and I feel like this was a nice, R-Rated movie in the same sort of spirit.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Watched the new Mortal Kombat. Solid movie; some really good moments, some kinda dull - but I had a fun time watching it. Always had a soft spot for the 1995 version, and I feel like this was a nice, R-Rated movie in the same sort of spirit.
Was the techno theme song in it?

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Also - looking back at the 1995 movie, Cary Hiroyuki-Tagawa was a lot of fun as Shang Tsung.
First film was solid (for what it was). Jean-Claude Van Damme was offered the role of Johnny Cage but he turned it down to do, groan, Street Fighter.

The sequel to that film was garbage (imho).

And I believe, Mortal Kombat was the first western film from a major western film company to use that Hong Kong Wire-Fu stuff (it wasn’t the Matrix).

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
First film was solid (for what it was). Jean-Claude Van Damme was offered the role of Johnny Cage but he turned it down to do, groan, Street Fighter.

And I believe, Mortal Kombat was the first western film from a major western film company to use that Hong Kong Wire-Fu stuff (it wasn’t the Matrix).

I thought Linden Ashby did a really nice job as Johnny Cage in the original film. I still remember the theatre exploding with laughter when he did the splits and punched Goro in the balls. :laugh:

Mortal Kombat: Annihilation is easily one of the worst films ever made. Easily the reason it took two and a half decades for a studio to agree to green light another MK film.

Reactions: Hit the post

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006

I rewatched street fighter not too long ago. I remember enjoying it as a kid. The second go around Blanka didn't look quite as cool, but I think I appreciated Cammy more.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I thought Linden Ashby did a really nice job as Johnny Cage in the original film. I still remember the theatre exploding with laughter when he did the splits and punched Goro in the balls. :laugh:

Mortal Kombat: Annihilation is easily one of the worst films ever made. Easily the reason it took two and a half decades for a studio to agree to green light another MK film.

The original Mortal Kombat, to me was the best adaptation of a video game to movie I’ve seen. All characters were featured (even Reptile who was a secret character). I loved that movie…

I agree with you, Mortal Kombat: Annihilation was awful and why oh why they kill off Johnny Cage at the beginning is just plain stupid.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
The original Mortal Kombat, to me was the best adaptation of a video game to movie I’ve seen. All characters were featured (even Reptile who was a secret character). I loved that movie…

I agree with you, Mortal Kombat: Annihilation was awful and why oh why they kill off Johnny Cage at the beginning is just plain stupid.

I agree that the original MK defies all expectations and is actually pretty good and fun. Like I said before - the actors are clearly relishing their source material (Shang Tsung, Johnny Cage being big standouts), the fight scenes are nicely choreographed and executed, and the soundtrack was awesome. It's not Citizen Kane or anything, but it's good fun.

It amazes me that MK: Annihilation even got made. It's so hilariously God awful from the get-go, most of the cast was changed, the special FX look like a Sega Genesis game, the dialogue is something out of a kids' cartoon...just a terrible movie. There's a lot of movies I watched as a kid/teen where I had the "kid goggles" on - remembered them fondly, but upon rewatch as an adult, they kind of suck. MK: Annihilation is one I remember hating from pretty much the opening scenes. Just abominably bad.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I agree that the original MK defies all expectations and is actually pretty good and fun. Like I said before - the actors are clearly relishing their source material (Shang Tsung, Johnny Cage being big standouts), the fight scenes are nicely choreographed and executed, and the soundtrack was awesome. It's not Citizen Kane or anything, but it's good fun.

It amazes me that MK: Annihilation even got made. It's so hilariously God awful from the get-go, most of the cast was changed, the special FX look like a Sega Genesis game, the dialogue is something out of a kids' cartoon...just a terrible movie. There's a lot of movies I watched as a kid/teen where I had the "kid goggles" on - remembered them fondly, but upon rewatch as an adult, they kind of suck. MK: Annihilation is one I remember hating from pretty much the opening scenes. Just abominably bad.

I remember when Jade turned on the group, she just said some words and then went to Shao Khan side just for the hell of it.

Just awful LOL, also Jax robotic arms looked phoney as hell smh.

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
Most movies based on video games were garbage.

Compare this movie trailer:

To the trailer for the actual video game franchise it was based on:

It ain't no contest between Luke freaking the Joker Skywalker & Freddie "Scooby Doo" Prinze Jr.:laugh:

(bear in mind, Wing Commander IV is over 25 years old so the graphics reflect that)

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

It ain't no contest between Luke freaking the Joker Skywalker & Freddie "Scooby Doo" Prinze Jr.:laugh:

(bear in mind, Wing Commander IV is over 25 years old so the graphics reflect that)

Don’t forget Biff Tannen as Maniac vs Matthew Lillard. The video game casting was on point - even had John Rhys-Davies in it!

Reactions: Hit the post

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
My disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined

This runs along the same line of why older video game music was more memorable, which turns out relies a lot on how easy it is to hum and/or for your brain to retain the tune. 90's MK is a much more straight forward beat while the new one has a lot more going on. You'd think the latter would make things better but I can't remember how it went 30 seconds after watching the video while the originally with more of a singular track easily etches itself in your head and you can recall it decades later.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

I think this highlights a subtle nuance on the state of the current industry, as a counterpoint to people like Martin Scorsese who like to publicly bemoan it. For people like him up until recently movies were the top dog in the entertainment industry, and a top video game serious would be just a silly little side project Hollywood would pick up and pass off to some 2nd or 3rd rate director letting them have creative control of the project. While 'Superhero movies' dominate the headlines of the current industry, if you look underneath it what you really see is Hollywood and now the streaming services reaching out for existing creative properties in other mediums and treating the original source with as much reverence as they can while bringing it to the movie/streaming screen.

A Wing Commander movie today would have the respect and quality of the 1996 trailer with the higher budget of the 1999 movie and probably turn out a quality production like The Expanse (which itself is a book series). Another good modern litmus test is The Last of Us that they're starting to film in Calgary, a big video game project that wants to be like a movie similar to Wing Commander in the 90's and is now getting a screen adaption.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Speaking of the Last of Us, I haven't played the games so I'm only roughly familiar with it but while I know they cast Pedro Pascal of Game of Thrones/Mandalorian fame to play the lead checking it on IMDB I see for Ellie's role they dipped into the GoT talent pool again and cast the awesome munchkin who played the awesome Lyanna Mormont, Bella Ramsay. That's awesome and good for her!

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
In all fairness, Wing Commander IV wasn’t that great a game (as it was merely, imho, just a slightly upgraded Wing Commander III. They just tweaked that older game engine where the FMV (full motion videos games were a short time fad in that period) made the “game” take a back seat.

Still, for the time WC4, was a bit of an achievement. With a then unheard budget/cost of I think 10 million dollars (remember this was the mid-90s), and a number of name Hollywood actors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad