The Seabrook Conundrum...

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I like the way you’re thinking, but even half of 3.5 x 5 years is still around 9M. Marleau’s 6.5M for a 1st rounder set the market.

There just isn’t any way to slice it where the Hawks don’t pay out the ass to trade him. One thing your plan does show is that it is possible to trade him.

It would help ottawa because they need to hit the cap floor every year, carolina wants to be a cap ceiling team, but yeah any way you slice it the hawks will have to pay a price unless the nhl hands compliance buyouts in however many years

Reactions: AmericanDream

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
More....

Three-time Stanley Cup champion Brent Seabrook will be a healthy scratch for the second straight game, and the Chicago Blackhawks' alternate captain isn't happy about it.
"I think I've been playing good," Seabrook told reporters Tuesday from Nashville. "I've obviously been on for some goals against. Tough situation, but I feel like I'm skating better. I feel like I've got a lot to offer this team."
The 34-year-old was scratched for Sunday's game against the Kings, a much-needed 5-1 win that snapped a four-game winless streak. He'll now sit against the Predators. Before this week, Seabrook had been a healthy scratch only one other time in his career -- in January 2018 by then coach Joel Quenneville.
"I don't think I need rest," Seabrook said Tuesday. "I think I feel great. I'm 34. You guys seem to want to write articles about my age and my speed. I feel like I still got a lot to offer in this league and still be a good player for somebody."

Denial, he doesn’t realize it. Its sad, I love the guy and hate to see it happen but he can’t play anymore. Maybe he will waive his NMC if it keeps going but I wouldn’t be surprised if Colliton eventually buckles and puts him back in.

He's certainly in denial. How many times can you get smoked and still think "I'm skating better". His skating is brutal.

"I think I've been playing good."
"I feel like I'm skating better."
"I feel like I've got a lot to offer this team."
"I don't think I need rest"
"I think I feel great. I'm 34."

Maybe that's the problem. He THINKS he is fine and playing well... Not once did he say "I need to be better", which is what you hear from MOST players when they are scratched.

Openly coming out and contradicting his coach isn't going to help get him back in the lineup, though. Could anyone possibly agree with Seabrook when he says he feels great??

Waive your NMC Seabs, go seek a trade, and see how many teams are interested in you....

Reactions: LDF and Blue Liner

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I said it in the other thread, but I think most athletes are the last to accept that they don't have it anymore, regardless of sport. This isn't unique to Seabs.
especially with $30 mil still on the line..."yeah, I am done - toast, think I should just retire"...as refreshing as that would be, this is a business and he is going to make sure he does everything in his power to put some type of spin on this that he is still a good NHLer to keep making that $$$$$.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I like the way you’re thinking, but even half of 3.5 x 5 years is still around 9M. Marleau’s 6.5M for a 1st rounder set the market.

There just isn’t any way to slice it where the Hawks don’t pay out the ass to trade him. One thing your plan does show is that it is possible to trade him.

Not to mention Carolina only paid $3.8m in real dollars.

Asking Ottawa to take Seabrook at 50% and then flip him at 50% would leave the Senators on the hook for about $5.9m in real dollars if it happened in the next couple weeks. Even if you waited until next summer it's $5.1m in real dollars.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
especially with $30 mil still on the line..."yeah, I am done - toast, think I should just retire"...as refreshing as that would be, this is a business and he is going to make sure he does everything in his power to put some type of spin on this that he is still a good NHLer to keep making that $$$$$.
He doesn’t have to put any kind of spin on it, at the end of the day he gets those $$$$$$$ no matter what. And that is on the Hawks for giving him that contract.

Otto31

Nov 24, 2013
How could we not see this coming honestly? He's been our worst, most overpaid player for a while now. It was obviously going to come to this at some point.

I'm talking about the way this came up, I was expecting less drama, and maybe a mea culpa from Seabrook, and not this implicit messages beeing thrown through the media, that's why I said I would not jump to conclusions, maybe they (Seabs and organization) can work this together internally without scratch the image of a legendary player

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
He doesn’t have to put any kind of spin on it, at the end of the day he gets those $$$$$$$ no matter what. And that is on the Hawks for giving him that contract.
no he doesn't...if he retires he doesn't get it...so if the game has passed him by now, he is going to make every damn excuse or fallacy that he is STILL a NHL player knowing he has 4 damn years left..

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019
Just out of curiosity....if Seabrook retires at the end of the season, what does his recapture penalty look like?

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Seems like a lot of people are confused about this.
I definitely am. The rule was put in because of the old no contract limit shenanigans, but since Seabrook has received more real dollars than his cap hit benefit wouldn’t we get hit with some penalty? Not huge because his deal doesn’t nose dive big time, but some?

Reactions: LDF

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Denial

That is all we need to know.

I think there is a glimmer of hope for stan to deal 7 after jc benched him twice and 7 opened his mouth about it

Sure hope stan can convince someone to take him throw in what needs to be thrown in and be done with it.

It needs to happen Or the hawks won’t succeed moving forward with him on the lineup

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I definitely am. The rule was put in because of the old no contract limit shenanigans, but since Seabrook has received more real dollars than his cap hit benefit wouldn’t we get hit with some penalty? Not huge because his deal doesn’t nose dive big time, but some?

It is only those deals like the Hossa or Keith deals that are over 8 years. The other deal I believe that are penalized are the ones where the player is 35 or over when they sign the deal.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
We probably get to part with 2-unprotected 1st rounders, a legit prospect, and take a bad contract back.

Thanks Stan!

seabrook will sit at home before that happens...also theres approximately zero comparable trades to the one you describe...back to the drawing board

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad