The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
I think there are a lot of options on the table with the new head coach that you may not expect right now.
I wonder if Lindy ever moved Hughes to wing. Probably not. I think you overstate the potential changes he might make. Playstyle, sure. Practices, yeah. Will he balance the wingers differently sometimes, sure. Teams do not change centers unless they are not performing. Even then it is usually short term for a change of pace (swapping Cozens/Thompson). We have a clear spine in Tage Cozens Mcleod and Lafferty. Krebs is the 5th.

You respond to my comment just echoing your previous comment. Peyton Krebs will lead the NHL in goals assists and points. You may not expect it right now, but its an option.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I wonder if Lindy ever moved Hughes to wing. Probably not. I think you overstate the potential changes he might make. Playstyle, sure. Practices, yeah. Will he balance the wingers differently sometimes, sure. Teams do not change centers unless they are not performing. Even then it is usually short term for a change of pace (swapping Cozens/Thompson). We have a clear spine in Tage Cozens Mcleod and Lafferty. Krebs is the 5th.

You respond to my comment just echoing your previous comment. Peyton Krebs will lead the NHL in goals assists and points. You may not expect it right now, but its an option.

No, but he did use another center regularly with Hughes to cover for him defensively and take face off. Haula got that assignment. Officially Haula was the winger. It’s possible that Lindy might see McLeod’s transition as something that would benefit Thompson. Or if Thompson is having back or shoulder issues as has him hobbling taking face off. Thompson would be the winger in the defensive zone

Last edited:

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
McLeod seems more like a winger than c on a good team.
Cozens can move to wing if Helenius becomes elite.

If Helenius body is ready he will quickly adapt to the nhl. I'd prefer if he developed his offense at a lower level first but if we look at him as more of a bottom 6 center he could be our best one this autumn.

I'm happy we got Lafferty and McLeod is good insurance.
So EDM wasnt a good team?

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I don't agree that Krebs is permanent 13th forward. He has an opportunity in training camp to be in the top 12 even without any injuries. More likely with injuries.
No doubt everyone will have an opportunity. I would just be surprised if Krebs decided to now make the most of it for the first time

Reactions: Jacob582

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
No, but he did use another Center regularly with Hughes to cover for him defensively and take face off. Haula got that assignment. Officially Haula was the winger. It’s possible that Lindy might see McLeod’s transition as something that would benefit Thompson. Or if Thompson is having back or shoulder issues has him hobbling taking face off. Thompson would be the winger in the defensive zone
I really hope Tage can stay healthy. Were in trouble if he can't. Seems like a few too many core players have injury concerns.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I really hope Tage can stay healthy. Were in trouble if he can't. Seems like a few too many core players have injury concerns.

It is a concern. I think the plan is for McLeod to do the transition thing on his own line that he did in Edmonton but there might be times to shuffle things around. Hopefully Tage is back closer to his form from two years ago, even if the PP one timer has been neutralized.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Ruff has zero experience with this roster. What Ruff and Adams have planned in theory could look very different once camp starts and they actually start practicing and playing games.

Ruff did plenty of stuff with NJ and Dallas that you likely have no idea about.

For instance, in 2022-23, the line combo with the most minutes together with Hughes was Bratt-Haula-Hughes. The second most was Hughes-Haula-Mercer.

In 2015-16 in Dallas, Benn-Seguin-Sharp played almost 3x the minutes of the second most line combo. And he had strong pairs of Seguin with Benn and Spezza with Janmark. Roussel-Eakin was a third very common pair.

It will be interesting to see how some of these trends might plays themselves out with this roster.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
Ruff has zero experience with this roster. What Ruff and Adams have planned in theory could look very different once camp starts and they actually start practicing and playing games.

For instance, in 2022-23, the line combo with the most minutes together with Hughes was Bratt-Haula-Hughes. The second most was Hughes-Haula-Mercer.

In 2015-16 in Dallas, Benn-Seguin-Sharp played almost 3x the minutes of the second most line combo. And he had strong pairs of Seguin with Benn and Spezza with Janmark. Roussel-Eakin was a third very common pair.

It will be interesting to see how some of these trends might plays themselves out with this roster.
That's where I think some are getting too hung up on the cost paid for McLeod and that he HAS to be the 3C. It's sunken cost fallacy that the price paid determines his usage. Because they paid a premium he HAS to play in the middle 6. If playing McLeod on the wing or at 4C gives them the best chance to win games then that's where he's going to play.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
That's where I think some are getting too hung up on the cost paid for McLeod and that he HAS to be the 3C. It's sunken cost fallacy that the price paid determines his usage. Because they paid a premium he HAS to play in the middle 6. If playing McLeod on the wing or at 4C gives them the best chance to win games then that's where he's going to play.
It's largely just people that loved Savoie as a prospect and hated the trade that are talking this way, though.

:dunno:

I was down on the Mitts-Byram trade. But, I am not saying that if Byram plays on the 3rd pair because they want to spread Dahlin, Power, and Byram across all three pairings, that we should riot. If that is what Ruff thinks is best (and I think he has those 3 in the top 4 to start BTW), then lets see how it plays out.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
It's largely just people that loved Savoie as a prospect and hated the trade that are talking this way, though.

:dunno:

I was down on the Mitts-Byram trade. But, I am not saying that if Byram plays on the 3rd pair because they want to spread Dahlin, Power, and Byram across all three pairings, that we should riot. If that is what Ruff thinks is best (and I think he has those 3 in the top 4 to start BTW), then lets see how it plays out.
Yea, that's kind of my point too. We want to win so let the chips fall where they will. If guys play well they'll get their minutes regardless of where they play in the line-up. Jochen as the 3C still played 18 or 19 minutes a game. Heck in 06-07 Briere, Drury, Hecht and Roy all got over 18 minutes a game. They'll get shifts at wing, shifts centering another line etc to get them on the ice.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia

We do know Lindy likes to shuffle them up for a boost

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
They decided to upgrade and move on from him. I don't think he was their 3C, scratched at one point as well.

He was often their 3C and then they got Henrique at the deadline, then re-signed Henrique making McLeod redundant. It's okay, that they made a move there and Buffalo took on that displaced player as surplus is how guys become available.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
He was often their 3C and then they got Henrique at the deadline, then re-signed Henrique making McLeod redundant. It's okay, that they made a move there and Buffalo took on that displaced player as surplus is how guys become available.
Yeah I was just making the point that McLeod can be moved to wing or fourth line if Helenius has early success. I don't mind him as an insurance 3c at all. We're a pretty bad team so McLeod is obviously an upgrade compared to not adding a center.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
For a 3/4C cast off who was benched in the finals

McLeod wasn't benched in the finals. He was benched for Game 3 of the Dallas series. He played all but ONE of Edmonton's playoff games.

And you say he's a "3/4"......he was unquestionably Edmonton's 3rd line center until Henrique got there. It's no crime that Henrique displaced him,

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
McLeod wasn't benched in the finals. He was benched for Game 3 of the Dallas series. He played all but ONE of Edmonton's playoff games.

And you say he's a "3/4"......he was unquestionably Edmonton's 3rd line center until Henrique got there. It's no crime that Henrique displaced him,
Its amazing how much of a deal that singular scratch has grown in to

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021

Yeah I was just making the point that McLeod can be moved to wing or fourth line if Helenius has early success. I don't mind him as an insurance 3c at all. We're a pretty bad team so McLeod is obviously an upgrade compared to not adding a center.
Does Ruff really like to overplay youngsters? I would expect to see vets and develop the players in Rochester

The main thing that we saw this offseason was bringing in a new 4th line and the elimination of the it’s my turn from Rochester. They will need to earn their spots, Benson would not happen this year, barring injuries

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
Oilers fans were saying that McLeod was a better wing for them than center. So I'm guessing if Helenius cracks the roster, he would slot in at 3C and push McLeod over to wing. Wouldn't be the end of the world...

Reactions: HaNotsri

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Does Ruff really like to overplay youngsters? I would expect to see vets and develop the players in Rochester

The main thing that we saw this offseason was bringing in a new 4th line and the elimination of the it’s my turn from Rochester. They will need to earn their spots, Benson would not happen this year, barring injuries
Benson couldn’t have been more opposite of “it’s my turn” in fact he beat out 4-5 guys ahead of him for that. But I agree with your point that it’s good to have real competition.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
I'll say the exact same thing about Helenius potentially making the team that I said about Benson last year.

It does not bode well to the overall quality of our roster if an 18 year old is able to make the team.

It says less about the quality of the 18 year old and more about the lack of quality in the rest of the roster.

I was right last year. So lets hope the roster is good enough this year to keep the newly drafted teenager in the minors.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $1,050.00