The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Ok, one off-season later the cuts went deep. There doesn't need to be a direct connection to whatever it was Pegula said and how they spent to the cap anyway. It all goes together in some kind of way, and that way went down and stayed down for a couple more years. Don't want to blame Pegula and say there were hockey reasons for that? Ok, then it was KA making penny-wise, pound-foolish decisions. I don't care how the share of stupid/cheap/inexperienced pie slices pan out in the venn diagram.
Yes they did and we both know why that was. They chose to do a rebuild, commit to youth and grow/develop internally. We also know why they did that. Their franchise center was forcing his way out and it’s tough to get players to come here.

By any reasonable measure that rebuild was incredibly successful. By year two we had a lot of players breaking out. The highlight of that was Tage blowing away anything Eichel ever did for us. We were in a playoff race until the last week of the season and we weren’t trying yet to ice a playoff team. I don’t think anyone, even the most optimistic, expected that quick of a turnaround. Complaining about what they spent those two years is pretty pointless.

Where Adams f***ed up big time is not building on that season. He needed by bring in reinforcements and retool the roster. But he was too attached to the players and coach to make the moves necessary. It’s also why he wouldn’t fire Granato in season. He wanted to give him a chance to save the season. Hopefully he learned his lesson that he needs to be more clinical when analyzing his team/caoch. Time will tell if thats the case.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Yes they did and we both know why that was. They chose to do a rebuild, commit to youth and grow/develop internally. We also know why they did that. Their franchise center was forcing his way out and it’s tough to get players to come here.

By any reasonable measure that rebuild was incredibly successful. By year two we had a lot of players breaking out. The highlight of that was Tage blowing away anything Eichel ever did for us. We were in a playoff race until the last week of the season and we weren’t trying yet to ice a playoff team. I don’t think anyone, even the most optimistic, expected that quick of a turnaround. Complaining about what they spent those two years is pretty pointless.

Where Adams f***ed up big time is not building on that season. He needed by bring in reinforcements and retool the roster. But he was too attached to the players and coach to make the moves necessary. It’s also why he wouldn’t fire Granato in season. He wanted to give him a chance to save the season. Hopefully he learned his lesson that he needs to be more clinical when analyzing his team/caoch. Time will tell if thats the case.
Is that what KA was thinking about when he walked two young and developing players into a trade and FA status? Reinhart and Ullmark fit perfectly into the timeline. He did not commit to them. They would have been really handy to have around the last 2-3 years. There was no good reason to have them leave.

I'm not sure what the point of this is. Any way you look at it, there were poor decisions (and others). I barely cling to any interest in following this team anymore. I sure as hell don't have any interest in debating how the various percentages of blame fall to the different incapable people that have been in charge over the last 14 years. Do you really think it's a Sabres board "win" to go on and try to prove the percentages differently than how I see it?

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
I don't think Buffalo should trade for Laine just because he's reportedly available and Buffalo wants to add a top 6 forward. I think he's a bad fit.

Laine has a big frame and could be a power forward, but that's not his game. He's a righty who plays the same spot as Thompson on the power play, so that's a logjam. He doesn't play in front of the net, which Buffalo needs.

This type of trade is just a trade to make a trade. I don't see the fit, at all.
Just to explore a bit, here's Laine's pros and cons as I see them.

Cons:
  1. Injury history
  2. Player Assistance Program (not for substance abuse)
  3. Big salary
  4. Not especially fast or physical
Pros:
  1. Good even-strength possession numbers on a poor team.
  2. Finisher
  3. PPG in games played in two of last three years
  4. Motivated sellers
If CBJ is allowing other teams to talk to him, I think KA should be on the phone. If he passes the audition, a deal with some retention might make sense. I could see a package of some combination of Greenway/Jokiharju/Krebs/Johnson and a B+ prospect or 2nd being the best offer they get.

My offer would be Greenway, Johnson and Neuchev for Laine @ $5.5M (3.2M retained).

In the end, what would you rather have? $8M in unused cap or:

Peterka-Thompson-Tuch
Laine-Cozens-Quinn
Zucker-McLeod-Benson

with Kulich or Rosen on injury call-ups?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

I agree with what you said here.
The 22/23 season was unexpected but Adams did not want to rush things. He also had a long range plan on contracts. He wasnt going to overpay a UFA
Is that what KA was thinking about when he walked two young and developing players into a trade and FA status? Reinhart and Ullmark fit perfectly into the timeline. He did not commit to them. They would have been really handy to have around the last 2-3 years. There was no good reason to have them leave.

KA inherited some contrsct issues. When team ducked they didnt want to dtsy.
I'm not sure what the point of this is. Any way you look at it, there were poor decisions (and others). I barely cling to any interest in following this team anymore. I sure as hell don't have any interest in debating how the various percentages of blame fall to the different incapable people that have been in charge over the last 14 years. Do you really think it's a Sabres board "win" to go on and try to prove the percentages differently than how I see it?
Adam's is to blame for all those yrs?

Cons:
  1. Injury history
  3. Big salary
Pros:
  2. Finisher
  4. Motivated sellers
If CBJ is allowing other teams to talk to him, I think KA should be on the phone. If he passes the audition, a deal with some retention might make sense. I could see a package of some combination of Greenway/Jokiharju/Krebs/Johnson and a B+ prospect or 2nd being the best offer they get.

My offer would be Greenway, Johnson and Neuchev for Laine @ $5.5M (3.2M retained).

Peterka-Thompson-Tuch
Laine-Cozens-Quinn
Zucker-McLeod-Benson

columbus would want more given retention.

Buffalo shouldn't trade RyJo. Hes someone you project replacing Joker

How much of the PPG is due to PP stats

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
Buffalo shouldn't trade RyJo. Hes someone you project replacing Joker

How much of the PPG is due to PP stats
An adequate replacement for a 5/6 D (Joker) isn't hard to find when he goes to UFA next year.

PP1: Dahlin, Tage, Quinn
PP1a: Power, Laine, Cozens

What a dilemma! (for the PK, that is!)

Switch Joker for Johnson in the original proposal, I'm still good if recovered Laine is at 2x5.5.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

Cons:
  1. Injury history
  3. Big salary
Pros:
  2. Finisher
  4. Motivated sellers

Peterka-Thompson-Tuch
Laine-Cozens-Quinn
Zucker-McLeod-Benson

I still wouldn’t make a trade for Laine.

Two trades I’d consider:

Something to Nashville for Fabbro. He’s able to be the stay at home D for any of the offensive D.

Jokiharju for Kotkaniemi. I think Kotkaniemi could excel in a defensive role.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Maybe, but we just brought in four guys who excel in a defensive role. I don’t see where we have an available bottom six role for Kotkaniemi too, unless Krebs is out the door.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Maybe, but we just brought in four guys who excel in a defensive role. I don’t see where we have an available bottom six role for Kotkaniemi too, unless Krebs is out the door.
Not to go off the latest and greatest in terms of models, but Florida has defensive players across their lineup.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
I still wouldn’t make a trade for Laine.

Two trades I’d consider:

Something to Nashville for Fabbro. He’s able to be the stay at home D for any of the offensive D.

I can't see that Kotkaniemi has done anything except deceive Bergevin into wasting 3OA on him. Laine at 2x5.5M has a much bigger potential upside and lower risk compared to Kotkaniemi at 6x4.8M.

I'd like to see Fabbro here for a reasonable price, tho.

michaelsaas

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Beaumont, TX
I can't see that Kotkaniemi has done anything except deceive Bergevin into wasting 3OA on him. Laine at 2x5.5M has a much bigger potential upside and lower risk compared to Kotkaniemi at 6x4.8M.

I'd like to see Fabbro here for a reasonable price, tho.
Do we need to retain on a Laine deal? Definitely not this year, but I am not sure about next year. Not retaining should lower the cost of a trade if KA deems him a good fit.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'm curious if they would gamble on Laine. It seems like too much risk for me, even if the 2 years of his deal would fit in prior to the dead cap space of the Skinner deal.

There was a report that the Jackets are looking for picks and prospects not necessarily real cap dollars in. If his value is suppressed due to the risk, maybe something around Rosen and say their 2026 first? It's far enough out that they have to think it would be later than 16OA and Rosen isn't getting any closer to the NHL roster at this point.

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021
I'm curious if they would gamble on Laine. It seems like too much risk for me, even if the 2 years of his deal would fit in prior to the dead cap space of the Skinner deal.

There was a report that the Jackets are looking for picks and prospects not necessarily real cap dollars in. If his value is suppressed due to the risk, maybe something around Rosen and say their 2026 first? It's far enough out that they have to think it would be later than 16OA and Rosen isn't getting any closer to the NHL roster at this point.
Is Laine any better than skinner? Does he play 2 way? To me, it just seems to be another skinner who we got rid of because he was not a good fit

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020

I heard that Waddell said he was looking for "a hockey trade", but I can't imagine any GM is willing to take the risk to trade a mature quality roster player for Laine right now. I could see him pulling a 1st from a team like Vancouver or Buffalo, but only with significant retention.

2026 1st plus Rosen seems like a lot unless Laine's coming in with 30-50% retained.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
Is Laine any better than skinner? Does he play 2 way? To me, it just seems to be another skinner who we got rid of because he was not a good fit
What I got out of some CBJ-fan comments from the thread on the main boards was that he bought into the idea of being a franchise player and was pissed at himself for not being able to carry the team on his back. Between losing, concussion last October, broken collarbone in December requiring some surgical cleanup and a setback when trying to come back to the lineup in January. Felt he needed to take a break to get his head on straight.

Unlike the way Sabres fans characterized Skinner (selfish and lackadaisical), Jackets fans described Laine as putting in the effort and having a good attitude -- but just not being happy with how he was able to impact results.

If he gets beyond the hero complex, accepts his role as a contributing top-six scoring winger, stays healthy, and finds some linemate chemistry, then he's worth a lot. There's no guarantee he'll do that.

I guess that why it looks like a risky bet.

Reactions: joshjull

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad