The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

BUCKSHOT

""""""""""""""""""""""
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
The full offseason hasn’t played out to safely say the Skinner buyout was more of cash savings than we thought, but it’s trending in that direction.
The full offseason hasn’t played out to safely say the Skinner buyout was more of cash savings than we thought, but it’s trending in that direction.

I'd argue Skinner wasn't bought out for the cap space, but for not having him and his half ass effort around the team

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest

I'd argue Skinner wasn't bought out for the cap space, but for not having him and his half ass effort around the team
My money is on it being a little bit of both.

I can definitely see Ruff pushing to have him bought out as his coaching style prefers all players to buy in to a 200 foot game.

I can also see the option to save 8+ million this season as a huge incentive to Pegula now.

With next season's RFA situation, Adams likely knew Skinner's contract was going to have to be dealt with sooner rather than later, and having the blessing of both Lindy and Terry (both for different reasons) made the decision easier when weighing the pros and cons.

Jeremy2020

Dec 27, 2005
Austin, TX
My money is on it being a little bit of both.

I can definitely see Ruff pushing to have him bought out as his coaching style prefers all players to buy in to a 200 foot game.

I can also see the option to save 8+ million this season as a huge incentive to Pegula now.

With next season's RFA situation, Adams likely knew Skinner's contract was going to have to be dealt with sooner rather than later, and having the blessing of both Lindy and Terry (both for different reasons) made the decision easier when weighing the pros and cons.
It's probably a lot like Adams.. Pegula was spending money on guys who were highly recommended and getting zero results. He could get zero results hiring Adams and spending less. I think the prevailing opinion is the Sabres will finish roughly in the same place in the standings with or without Skinner so why pay him for that?

Last edited:

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

Oh they just happen to be the team with the most cap space every year -- Adams is accidentally saving the owner a ton of cash every year when he's not even being asked to! How fortunate for Pegula!!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Given the eye test and Oiler fans comments though, 71 is still not going anywhere near traffic.
I thought he had a fair amount of garbage goals, despite the contact avoiding reputation. Or we talking strictly Dzone?

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Generally speaking he avoids contact. His defense is due to being excellent at getting the puck out of his zone and up the ice under control.
As many have noted, he'd have been a top 10 pick if he was physical at all...and wouldn't have been available for trade.

On the plus side, it keeps his AAV down so we're only paying for what we're getting, and his next contract should be affordable too. You just need a good coach who can put him in the right role to succeed, I'd think. And a roster built so that the coach has situational options.

Reactions: Chainshot

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

I definitely believe that Skinner was bought out primarily because Lindy looked at Skinner kind of like RBA did and wanted him nowhere near his roster.

That it saved Terry cash was a bonus.

And creating cap space to add more players for 2024-25 was a distant third.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
That doesnt fit the Pegula cheap narrative though
I can't speak for everyone's thoughts, but my "narrative" is that since covid Pegula has decided to cut costs in a variety of ways. He settled on a guy that can push the "we need patience for guys to develop during (yet another) re-build" to fans and media, to justify being around the cap floor for several years. He's been "efficient" with both on-ice and off-ice costs, which ultimately I don't demonize him for as a fan of capitalism and free will. He can do what he wants but I won't hesitate to call it it what it is. I also don't assume he'll continue operating this way forever, but I can't predict when he will go back to max spending either. The way the franchise and fans base have been kicked in the dirt, it's got to change soon.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I definitely believe that Skinner was bought out primarily because Lindy looked at Skinner kind of like RBA did and wanted him nowhere near his roster.

That it saved Terry cash was a bonus.

And creating cap space to add more players for 2024-25 was a distant third.
My frustration is that there is so little cap-advantage over year two and three, and clearly not much in this first year, that I'd rather keep him and be done with him in three summers. I believe the right HC, staff and culture should be able to minimize Skinner's deficiencies, especially during (yet another) couple seasons when the team won't be a Cup contender anyway.

Reactions: jc17

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
My frustration is that there is so little cap-advantage over year two and three, and clearly not much in this first year, that I'd rather keep him and be done with him in three summers. I believe the right HC, staff and culture should be able to minimize Skinner's deficiencies, especially during (yet another) couple seasons when the team won't be a Cup contender anyway.
If RBA wanted him out, I didn't have high hopes that Lindy would "fix him." It also think that moving Skinner out may have been a culture move as Lindy may have viewed Skinner as a guy that was happy cashing checks and scoring goals and not winning.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Everyone is speculating Lindy wanted skinner out but I think its far more likely teammates voiced displeasure or apathy at best. Or it could have just been adams based on his end of year presser.

But a coach who hasn't been in the room, and hasn't coached the player, being the one to initiate a high profile buy out on reputation alone doesn't actually seem likely

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Everyone is speculating Lindy wanted skinner out but I think its far more likely teammates voiced displeasure or apathy at best. Or it could have just been adams based on his end of year presser.

But a coach who hasn't been in the room, and hasn't coached the player, being the one to initiate a high profile buy out on reputation alone doesn't actually seem likely
I get what you’re saying but Lindy should know Skinner pretty well as a player. He’s coached in this league a long time and been up against him quite a bit. I don’t think he ordered him bought out but definitely was involved in it happening.

It probably had a lot to do with the vision Adams/Ruff had for the roster. Plus Skinner seemed on the outs with Adams and saw less top 6 ice time at the end of last season.

I’d be very surprised if his teammates had anything to do with it.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I get what you’re saying but Lindy should know Skinner pretty well as a player. He’s coached in this league a long time and been up against him quite a bit. I don’t think he ordered him bought out but definitely was involved in it happening.

It probably had a lot to do with the vision Adams/Ruff had for the roster. Plus Skinner seemed on the outs with Adams and saw less top 6 ice time at the end of last season.

Everyone close to the team said he was very well liked in the dressing room, so I'd agree.

I think Adams told Lindy about the complaints that Granato and Kruger had about him -->
--> Lindy knows him and also watched video and agreed that he makes line construction difficult ->
--> Adams asked Terry for a buyout and Terry said "sure, as long as I'm not spending extra money on the team because of it" -->
--> Adams bought him out and needed to subtract Skinner's cost from the salary cap to determine the internal cap.

Reactions: MOGlLNY

BUCKSHOT

""""""""""""""""""""""
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Everyone close to the team said he was very well liked in the dressing room, so I'd agree.

I think Adams told Lindy about the complaints that Granato and Kruger had about him -->
--> Lindy knows him and also watched video and agreed that he makes line construction difficult ->
--> Adams asked Terry for a buyout and Terry said "sure, as long as I'm not spending extra money on the team because of it" -->
--> Adams bought him out and needed to subtract Skinner's cost from the salary cap to determine the internal cap.
you're saying they will be under (Skinner's salary minus the buyout cost) the salary cap for the next 6 years ?

bookmark this

jc17

Jun 14, 2013

I agree from the overall vision stand point, but yeah its the idea of it being his order that I disagree with.

regarding the players, I don't think they asked Adams to get rid of him either but I'll speculate that the calls for accountability at the end of the season in front of the media were probably a small percentage of what was voiced to kevyn privately.

The reality is that tage and tuch had good results with skinner, and I don't think the move gets made if 2 of your top line guys think the team is worse because of it. We know they produced as well with peterka, but even then, if those guys thought skinner was useful, they'd probably be upset he was removed from the team. We know that belief plays a role in motivation and success, and I don't think Adams would want to enter this season with top guys on the team feeling that they got worse by losing a significant piece.

I don't think guys liking him as a person necessarily conflicts with that. We've probably all had teammates that are fun to be around but aren't the "you want to go to battle with" type of guys

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad